Sponsored

Mach 1 Track Attack Recap/Photos

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
I attended the Mach 1 track attack last week, which I understand was the fourth Mach 1 event to date.

The experience was a lot of fun and got to meet some great people! The instructors and folks running the school are top notch. In my opinion, its worth the trip out to do it.

As a side note - I think it is worth it to pay for the in car camera/track keeper option(make sure they actually put the SD card in the race keeper before you start the day if you do!). They are also pretty serious about car damage, so if you want peace of mind, get the insurance option (however I will say if you do not have any track experience at all, you will likely not really be going fast enough to be in real danger of throwing the car into a wall which is likely the only real threat of any damage exceeding the $5000 deductible).

The day is split into two. During the morning, you will have a basic class and then head out to the drag strip area to:
1. practice over and understeer in a skid car on a skid pad
2. Run a mini autocross course in normal, sport and track mode to experience the differences in the modes
3. Run a course on back end of the drag strip to practice ABS braking, threshold braking, launch control and no lift shifting.
After Lunch, you head over to the track and you will get 3 20-ish minute sessions running the roval at Charlotte Motor Speedway with a mini class in-between each session. The format is such that 2-3 cars will be grouped to follow a lead instructors car on the track. After the first session, they make an effort to group you with like-paced participants so that the fast folks and slower folks are grouped together.
You will end the day with riding along for two laps with an instructor, followed by a closing session in the classroom.

About the cars:
They have about 10 manual M1s right now and no autos. They are waiting to receive some A10's but don't know when those will arrive. The cars all have Michelin PS4S tires (so they can run in the rain) with 4 point roll cages 4 point harnesses and are 100% stock otherwise including brake pads. All of the car chassis numbers were in the mid 2000s and each had less than 200 miles on them. The car I used started with 173 miles and ended with around 250 miles on it.

I spoke with a few of the mechanics/techs that work on all of the school's cars, and their experience with the Mach 1 is limited thus far, but so far they said they have seen no issues popping up with the cars being subject to the instructor's abuse (including rear differential overheating which I specifically asked about).

The instructors for our group used 2015/2016 FRPS spec Mustang GTs to lead the track sessions with. According to the instructors, the FRPS Spec GT is about 5 seconds slower than the Mach 1.

Here are a few photos!

The car I got to use:
20210818_114109.jpg

20210819_085931.jpg

More photos of the lineup:
20210818_113857.jpg

20210818_111045.jpg

20210820_105947.jpg

20210820_105845.jpg
Sponsored

chorse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
C
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
...what SWAG (goodie bag) did you get? please post pics of goodie items and trophy, thx.

stageron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2559, Lexus NX300
I attended the Mach 1 track attack last week, which I understand was the fourth Mach 1 event to date.

The experience was a lot of fun and got to meet some great people! The instructors and folks running the school are top notch. In my opinion, its worth the trip out to do it.

As a side note - I think it is worth it to pay for the in car camera/track keeper option(make sure they actually put the SD card in the race keeper before you start the day if you do!). They are also pretty serious about car damage, so if you want peace of mind, get the insurance option (however I will say if you do not have any track experience at all, you will likely not really be going fast enough to be in real danger of throwing the car into a wall which is likely the only real threat of any damage exceeding the $5000 deductible).

The day is split into two. During the morning, you will have a basic class and then head out to the drag strip area to:
1. practice over and understeer in a skid car on a skid pad
2. Run a mini autocross course in normal, sport and track mode to experience the differences in the modes
3. Run a course on back end of the drag strip to practice ABS braking, threshold braking, launch control and no lift shifting.
After Lunch, you head over to the track and you will get 3 20-ish minute sessions running the roval at Charlotte Motor Speedway with a mini class in-between each session. The format is such that 2-3 cars will be grouped to follow a lead instructors car on the track. After the first session, they make an effort to group you with like-paced participants so that the fast folks and slower folks are grouped together.
You will end the day with riding along for two laps with an instructor, followed by a closing session in the classroom.

About the cars:
They have about 10 manual M1s right now and no autos. They are waiting to receive some A10's but don't know when those will arrive. The cars all have Michelin PS4S tires (so they can run in the rain) with 4 point roll cages 4 point harnesses and are 100% stock otherwise including brake pads. All of the car chassis numbers were in the mid 2000s and each had less than 200 miles on them. The car I used started with 173 miles and ended with around 250 miles on it.

I spoke with a few of the mechanics/techs that work on all of the school's cars, and their experience with the Mach 1 is limited thus far, but so far they said they have seen no issues popping up with the cars being subject to the instructor's abuse (including rear differential overheating which I specifically asked about).

The instructors for our group used 2015/2016 FRPS spec Mustang GTs to lead the track sessions with. According to the instructors, the FRPS Spec GT is about 5 seconds slower than the Mach 1.

Here are a few photos!

The car I got to use:
20210818_114109.jpg

20210819_085931.jpg

More photos of the lineup:
20210818_113857.jpg

20210818_111045.jpg

20210820_105947.jpg

20210820_105845.jpg
I think I was at the same session as you, Aug 18/19? Just curious how fast you got it up to on the banked turn and the straight aways? Were you in 4th gear at all? I know I wasn't in the fastest group and I'm hoping I wasn't in the slowest. I felt that I kept trying to push the lead car to try and get him to go faster but no luck. It was a little frustrating. I was only able to get to 4th gear a couple of times and spent a lot of time in 3rd but pretty close to redline. Only hit 100 or better 1 or 2 times. Was a lot of fun but I had to switch cars for the afternoon session due to radio issues, we swapped the SD card for the video into the new car but it didn't record so I lost all the afternoon stuff. Really bummed about that.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Nice right write-up! Look like they are continuing what I did in the classes I attended in Utah.

Did you get a t-shirt? If so, can you share it with us? Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
raidernixon

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I was at the same session as you, Aug 18/19? Just curious how fast you got it up to on the banked turn and the straight aways? Were you in 4th gear at all? I know I wasn't in the fastest group and I'm hoping I wasn't in the slowest. I felt that I kept trying to push the lead car to try and get him to go faster but no luck. It was a little frustrating. I was only able to get to 4th gear a couple of times and spent a lot of time in 3rd but pretty close to redline. Only hit 100 or better 1 or 2 times. Was a lot of fun but I had to switch cars for the afternoon session due to radio issues, we swapped the SD card for the video into the new car but it didn't record so I lost all the afternoon stuff. Really bummed about that.
Yup we were in the same class! I recognize your silver Mach 1 in your photo that you drove to the school (sharp car by the way and it was nice to briefly meet you!). My wife and I were the ones from Houston that drove the Grey Mach 1 up there that had all the track miles on it.

I did use 4th gear every time about midway through the banked turns and the highest speed I got up to was consistently around 125 mph but I couldn't really push the instructor to go more than that. My experience has been that 4th gear runs out of breath at around 130 so we were really close to needing 5th but not quite there - during my instructor ride they did use fifth and got up to around 135 mph. For comparison - the GT500 instructor ride during my wife's class the day before was hitting about 150+MPH in the same area.

For those that asked, here is the shirt and Mach 1 hood trophy swag (I think it is a business card holder?). Please ignore the wrinkles and dog hair - the shirt just got unpacked from the trip and all the travel grime that comes with it.

20210823_174834.jpg

There was some other basic swag as well such as pens, stickers, koozies, etc. but the above 2 items are the most substantial.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
does the hood thing come in the color of your car, or they all the same?

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
In our class, they were all blue.
shame, it'd have been neat if they did them in the color of the car you ordered, which info they should have since you have to have a vin (or paid flat out) to be in the class.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Nice! I was wondering what memorabilia they had in store to give away for the Mach 1's

these are the 2 I received a few years ago.

Boss track attack shirt and piston.jpg

gt350 track attack shirt and plaque.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
raidernixon

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice! I was wondering what memorabilia they had in store to give away for the Mach 1's

these are the 2 I received a few years ago.

Boss track attack shirt and piston.jpg

gt350 track attack shirt and plaque.jpg
Nice!!! The Boss 302 trophy is awesome!

The GT500 trophy is really impressive - it is a fully functional, brand new rear brake caliper off of a GT500 - pistons, seals, bleeders and all :shock: . I think my wife takes the win on that one...

20210823_184555.jpg

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
200 miles?? 1000 miles break in be darned!

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Nice!!! The Boss 302 trophy is awesome!

The GT500 trophy is really impressive - it is a fully functional, brand new rear brake caliper off of a GT500 - pistons, seals, bleeders and all :shock: . I think my wife takes the win on that one...

20210823_184555.jpg
The boss piston/connecting rod shaft was was quite a surprise. Funny thing I asked if it would be a problem carrying it on the plane and they said it wouldn't.

Most definitely! The brembo brake is awesome!!!

stageron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2559, Lexus NX300
200 miles?? 1000 miles break in be darned!
My Mach 1 Track Attack car had 37 miles on it when I got in it. I was stunned. I guess I was the first to use that one. Really though they make such a big deal about breaking in the engine when you buy the car but then they turn around beat the piss out their track cars. Go figure.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
My Mach 1 Track Attack car had 37 miles on it when I got in it. I was stunned. I guess I was the first to use that one. Really though they make such a big deal about breaking in the engine when you buy the car but then they turn around beat the piss out their track cars. Go figure.
yeah, but don't think they have any intention of those track cars making it to 100k or 200k miles or further.
Sponsored