Sponsored

Mach 1 test drive impressions by GT owner

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be honest - I was really drawn to the Mach I, but mainly because of the Fighter Jet Gray color. Hell, I came VERY close to buying a new '19 Scat Pack Challenger instead of my '19 GT because of the availability of the Destroyer Gray on the Challenger.

I finally got to see the FJG paint up close the other day. To my eyes it has a very noticeable 'bluish' tint to the gray. Not a huge fan, but that's just me. The used car market is nuts here - I could get right at what I paid for my '19 GT in September of '19 (I'm talking OTD price I paid with zero down) for trade in. That came from the General Manager of my dealer I've known for a while. He offered that with a bit over 4% off invoice on a 2020 GT. Of course Mach 1 is getting MSRP...and he told me he's been trying to work a trade with another dealer on two Mach1's he has buyers for - but the dealers are being ridiculous.

Not a huge fan of the orange trim either - but that's just my opinion. That's why we spend money on cars, because we like 'em right?

Honestly I'm considering wrapping my car the dark gray I like, adding the digital dash and then looking at 4.09 gears.

From a $ standpoint there is close to a $30K difference (at MSRP for M1 spec'd like I'd want it) between a M1 and my car. I don't like $30K worth. But that's just me.
Sponsored

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
So the answer turned out to be $133 per month more for a black Mach 1 Premium with the Handling Package and no other options. Local dealer gave me 2% under invoice and exactly what I asked for on my trade-in with no questions asked. Ordered today! But a little suspicious because this seems too good to be true, will believe it when it's actually in my garage.
Sounds like an amazing price, good negotiating!

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Is there a poster like the above showing the Bullitt vs Mach 1? And that post really needed the woman screaming at the cat meme :D

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see anyone who said that... just that the badges and exclusivity have a cost just like the Tremec.
I have heard this position argued for decades about upper trim levels of Mustangs. Back in the early 2000's, you were paying more for the "Cobra" name or the SVT badge. Then the 2003-2004 Mach 1 cost above the GT was "paying for the badges". Then, when the Cobra name was no longer used on the Mustang, you were paying more for the "Shelby" name on the car. Now with this Mach 1, the MSRP reflects a premium for the badge/name on the trim package.

No, what people have been paying for is products that represent a considerable step up from the GT Premium of any generation. If you want to think that the MSRP on the GT350/GT500's through the years would have been any less if it had the "Cobra" name on it instead of "Shelby" is delusional.

Anyone buying any Mustang looking for exclusivity needs to reconsider their purchase. If you are looking for exclusivity in a Ford, the Ford GT is what you would be looking to obtain.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I have heard this position argued for decades about upper trim levels of Mustangs. Back in the early 2000's, you were paying more for the "Cobra" name or the SVT badge. Then the 2003-2004 Mach 1 cost above the GT was "paying for the badges". Then, when the Cobra name was no longer used on the Mustang, you were paying more for the "Shelby" name on the car. Now with this Mach 1, the MSRP reflects a premium for the badge/name on the trim package.

No, what people have been paying for is products that represent a considerable step up from the GT Premium of any generation. If you want to think that the MSRP on the GT350/GT500's through the years would have been any less if it had the "Cobra" name on it instead of "Shelby" is delusional.

Anyone buying any Mustang looking for exclusivity needs to reconsider their purchase. If you are looking for exclusivity in a Ford, the Ford GT is what you would be looking to obtain.
I’ve owned a 2003 Cobra and today ordered a Mach 1. If I didn’t expect to get more than just a badge for the money, I’d never have bought either one.

Sponsored

Muss Catt 19RR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium; 2018 F150, 2004 FXDL
No, what people have been paying for is products that represent a considerable step up from the GT Premium of any generation.
I agree that the M1 has added features that should have been included with the 18-20 PP2 on my GT Premium. I do respect all opinions, however, I strongly disagree that it would be considered a considerable step up from the PP2. The coolers can be added fairly easy and it would be nice to have the Tremac, but I don't find it an essential.

The PP2 was and still is a very nice package IMHO and I am extremely happy with my purchase. I would not trade up for the differences this M1 adds to the car and more important to the price.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
I agree that the M1 has added features that should have been included with the 18-20 PP2 on my GT Premium. I do respect all opinions, however, I strongly disagree that it would be considered a considerable step up from the PP2. The coolers can be added fairly easy and it would be nice to have the Tremac, but I don't find it an essential.

The PP2 was and still is a very nice package IMHO and I am extremely happy with my purchase. I would not trade up for the differences this M1 adds to the car and more important to the price.
Happy you are liking your car, but the Mach 1 trim level is still a considerable step up from a pre-2021 GT Premium w/PP2 and definitely a step up from any packaged 2021 GT Premium.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
So wait, did the car you drove have the handling package or no? If not Im pretty sure it just gets the MT82 like everything else.

John Houseman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
1969 Cougar Convertible, 2000 F-250, 2013 F-150, 2020 F-150 PREVIOUSLY Owned 1982 Mustaang GT, 1986 Mustang GT, 2005 Mustang V-6, 2005 Mustang GT, 2005 Mustang GT Convertible, 2008 Shelby GT500,
So today I test drove a Fighter Jet Gray Mach 1 manual with the 700A Premium package and no other options. I wanted to see how it felt compared to my modified 2018 GT PP1, and thought it might help other Mustang owners looking to trade up if I shared some thoughts. My car does not have active exhaust, Premium package, or Magneride.

The car was filthy, which I liked - a sparkly clean car can lure you in if you're not careful. The FJG looks like it has the tiniest bluish tint. Wasn't crazy about it or the orange trim but that's just me. The spoiler looks a lot like the standard blade spoiler on base GT's. I really like the rear diffuser and exhaust tips and the front end. Other than that, looks like any other Mustang.

Unexpected pleasant surprise: I LOVED the seats, they were SO comfortable. I hated the base cloth seats in my GT, it felt like there was a huge gap where the seat bottom and back meet. I had to drive with a lumbar roll in the gap, and could never adjust to a comfortable position. Then I installed the Recaros which are of course very supportive but tight and firm. These M1 seats cannot be the same construction as my 2018 base cloth seats, I didn't feel the butt gap and they almost felt like memory foam. Not a lot of side support but there's always that trade-off. It would be a very hard decision for me as to whether to get the Recaros or not, and that's not even taking into account the memory / heat / cool functions of the base seats.

Unexpected distressing surprise: The transmission was extremely stiff and notchy for the first few minutes, and it was 62 degrees outside. After it warmed up it was fine, still firm but not like scooping ice cream. In addition, in reverse and 1st in the parking lot, it felt like something was holding it back, kind of like when you're driving a 4WD vehicle on dry pavement, or like when a rear diff locks up. Felt like that at the end of the test drive too when I backed it into a parking spot, but not as bad.

Really liked the exhaust note, and loved the active exhaust. Wish I could have gotten it into Track mode to hear how that sounds (more on that below).

The clutch pedal was fine, no different than my GT. I prefer it over the tiny engagement window of the GT350. I have a 2-1/8" cue ball shift knob and love it; the M1 knob feels similar but maybe a little smaller.

My car's suspension is modified to the point that it handles great, but you sink and rise over every undulation in the road. I didn't realize how firm it is until driving the M1. In normal mode it's a little firm but much more comfortable than my car. In Sport+ it's a little firmer but still not as tight as my car. I tried Track but it wouldn't shift into track, it said "see owners manual" and bogged the car down like it was in Snow mode. Of course the salesman had no idea why. I do think I'd have to order the Handling Package, but again that's just me, it's a toy and not a daily driver so I don't mind a stiffer suspension. I love the HP spoiler and splitter but do not like the wheels at all.

The thing I was most interested in was the Tremec transmission. Honestly in normal test driving it was hard to tell a difference between the M1 and my car. What I did like about it was that it seemed to do a little better job keeping the car in the power band in normal driving than the MT82.

Speed-wise, my car is quicker with 4.09's, but I think in normal driving the M1 sometimes feels quicker than a stock GT, again probably because of the Tremec. 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for the M1 vs a PP1 GT can't be much different, if at all.

Can't comment on all the Premium package goodies like the digital dash and things like that because I don't really care about that kind of stuff, again mine's not a daily. If it has lane keep assist and emergency braking great, of course I'd take them, but not a priority.

To summarize the whole experience, my car has better performance but is like riding a roller coaster, whereas the M1 is a better all-around performer. Really want to test drive a handling package car now. But in general, both cars feel like you're driving a Mustang, it's not a HUGE difference. I definitely would have to look into that business with the shifter and shuddering at low speed before buying though.

So the bottom line: Would I trade in my car on a M1? For no extra money, absolutely. For an extra $500/mo payment, absolutely not. Where that break point in the middle is, I'm not sure yet.

Hope this helps someone out! Enjoy guys!
The 1st and reverse problem you described (like 4x4 holding back) may be the Torsen differential. It tends to be tighter. Unless you've upgraded or have the Torsen in your '15.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
So wait, did the car you drove have the handling package or no? If not Im pretty sure it just gets the MT82 like everything else.
Every manual transmission Mach 1 uses the TR3160.

Sponsored

dahnuguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt, '13 F150, '76 F100, '64 Falcon, Foci
Lets compare on real facts...... if you have modified your car then all bets are off. But stop saying the Mach 1 is just a sticker package.....

2FC0F641-A253-40E5-AC3C-AB4C4EEA0B43.jpeg
ok looks like a Bullitt with potentially bigger tires and higher MSRP.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
ok looks like a Bullitt with potentially bigger tires and higher MSRP.
Say what?
Mechanically and exterior wise there is a lot which the Bullitt nor the GT has.
All the differences have been mentioned many times

Last edited:

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)

dahnuguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt, '13 F150, '76 F100, '64 Falcon, Foci
Say what?
Mechanically and exterior wise there is a lot which the Bullitt nor the GT has.
All the differences have been mentioned many times
the TR3160 from the GT350 is the only significant difference other than paint
Not saying I don't love it...

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
It's not just paint (and badges and decals) and transmission (be it Tremec or 10R80). It's entirely different front fascia, imo lot nicer than GT or Bullitt. Lot nicer exhaust tips. I like the optional wheels lot more than Bullitt's. Many additional track goodies (chassis and cooling). Available Handling Package for wider tyres, aggressive splitter and spoiler and lot more downforce.

But yeah, choice of paint is probably the most important for me :like:
That's not to say Bullitt isn't a great car, it is. Mach 1 is more like a proper performance package for GT (which is great, finally!)
Sponsored