Mach 1 test drive impressions by GT owner

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
So today I test drove a Fighter Jet Gray Mach 1 manual with the 700A Premium package and no other options. I wanted to see how it felt compared to my modified 2018 GT PP1, and thought it might help other Mustang owners looking to trade up if I shared some thoughts. My car does not have active exhaust, Premium package, or Magneride.

The car was filthy, which I liked - a sparkly clean car can lure you in if you're not careful. The FJG looks like it has the tiniest bluish tint. Wasn't crazy about it or the orange trim but that's just me. The spoiler looks a lot like the standard blade spoiler on base GT's. I really like the rear diffuser and exhaust tips and the front end. Other than that, looks like any other Mustang.

Unexpected pleasant surprise: I LOVED the seats, they were SO comfortable. I hated the base cloth seats in my GT, it felt like there was a huge gap where the seat bottom and back meet. I had to drive with a lumbar roll in the gap, and could never adjust to a comfortable position. Then I installed the Recaros which are of course very supportive but tight and firm. These M1 seats cannot be the same construction as my 2018 base cloth seats, I didn't feel the butt gap and they almost felt like memory foam. Not a lot of side support but there's always that trade-off. It would be a very hard decision for me as to whether to get the Recaros or not, and that's not even taking into account the memory / heat / cool functions of the base seats.

(UPDATE: ordered the base seats, decision wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, having had Recaros already. It's easy to bolt Recaro's in later. It's not easy to add seat memory and heat/cool functions later.)

Unexpected distressing surprise: The transmission was extremely stiff and notchy for the first few minutes, and it was 62 degrees outside. After it warmed up it was fine, still firm but not like scooping ice cream. In addition, in reverse and 1st in the parking lot, it felt like something was holding it back, kind of like when you're driving a 4WD vehicle on dry pavement, or like when a rear diff locks up. Felt like that at the end of the test drive too when I backed it into a parking spot, but not as bad.

Really liked the exhaust note, and loved the active exhaust. Wish I could have gotten it into Track mode to hear how that sounds (more on that below).

The clutch pedal was fine, no different than my GT. I prefer it over the tiny engagement window of the GT350. I have a 2-1/8" cue ball shift knob and love it; the M1 knob feels similar but maybe a little smaller.

My car's suspension is modified to the point that it handles great, but you sink and rise over every undulation in the road. I didn't realize how firm it is until driving the M1. In normal mode it's a little firm but much more comfortable than my car. In Sport+ it's a little firmer but still not as tight as my car. I tried Track but it wouldn't shift into track, it said "see owners manual" and bogged the car down like it was in Snow mode. Of course the salesman had no idea why. I do think I'd have to order the Handling Package, but again that's just me, it's a toy and not a daily driver so I don't mind a stiffer suspension. I love the HP spoiler and splitter but do not like the wheels at all.

The thing I was most interested in was the Tremec transmission. Honestly in normal test driving it was hard to tell a difference between the M1 and my car. What I did like about it was that it seemed to do a little better job keeping the car in the power band in normal driving than the MT82.

Speed-wise, my car is quicker with 4.09's, but I think in normal driving the M1 sometimes feels quicker than a stock GT, again probably because of the Tremec. 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for the M1 vs a PP1 GT can't be much different, if at all.

Can't comment on all the Premium package goodies like the digital dash and things like that because I don't really care about that kind of stuff, again mine's not a daily. If it has lane keep assist and emergency braking great, of course I'd take them, but not a priority.

To summarize the whole experience, my car has better performance but is like riding a roller coaster, whereas the M1 is a better all-around performer. Really want to test drive a handling package car now. But in general, both cars feel like you're driving a Mustang, it's not a HUGE difference. I definitely would have to look into that business with the shifter and shuddering at low speed before buying though.

So the bottom line: Would I trade in my car on a M1? For no extra money, absolutely. For an extra $500/mo payment, absolutely not. Where that break point in the middle is, I'm not sure yet.

(UPDATE: The break point was around $108/mo. Ordered a silver Premium manual with the handling package and no other options on 3/22/2021, got an email from Ford with the VIN on 3/25.)

Hope this helps someone out! Enjoy guys!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Possibly you can't set Track mode during the initial break-in period (1000 miles).
Edit: See below.

Last edited:

Phil_AVF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2198 Grabber Yellow
Track mode is available all the time, with no restrictions. Sounds like the car test driven had an issue.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
So the bottom line: Would I trade in my car on a M1? For no extra money, absolutely. For an extra $500/mo payment, absolutely not. Where that break point in the middle is, I'm not sure yet.
Currently my exact thoughts....

Sponsored

FAST FRED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 ROUSH,2019 GT350R,2021 GT500
Thanks for the write up OP.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I wasn't planning on trading up but I like to read some comparisons. Double thanks for the write up and not a youtube video!

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Good write up. I feel the same about the handling package. With how far I’ve gone with suspension on my car, I’d have to get one with the handling package. As well as the recaros. I love everything about the handling package but wouldn’t get FJG. I absolutely love the wheels. So if you get a handling package car, you’ve got a buyer for those wheels lol

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Currently my exact thoughts....
Working with Zach at Granger... looking like about $130 / mo more may be my break point. We are getting pretty close!

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
LoL, what kind of term are you talking?

Bottom line, it would be $30K and my '15 to make the leap. I can't convince myself that there's enough hardware difference beyond the moniker to make the leap.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
LoL, what kind of term are you talking?

Bottom line, it would be $30K and my '15 to make the leap. I can't convince myself that there's enough hardware difference beyond the moniker to make the leap.
Same term as my current loan. Yeah you are definitely paying a lot of the MSRP for the badges. Only way it could work for me is with an excellent trade value and a deep discount.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
Lets compare on real facts...... if you have modified your car then all bets are off. But stop saying the Mach 1 is just a sticker package.....

2FC0F641-A253-40E5-AC3C-AB4C4EEA0B43.jpeg

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Lets compare on real facts...... if you have modified your car then all bets are off. But stop saying the Mach 1 is just a sticker package.....

2FC0F641-A253-40E5-AC3C-AB4C4EEA0B43.jpeg
I don't see anyone who said that... just that the badges and exclusivity have a cost just like the Tremec.
Sponsored