Sponsored

Mach 1 S550 Mustang First Video

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Ummm I hate to point out the obvious but...

Isn't this MOST likely a ***BOSS 302*** Mule?

Boss splitter, Boss rear wheels... Where is anyone getting Mach 1 from? Seems more like someone is WISHING for a Mach-1 but what is being tested here has Boss all over it.

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
We need to see a model that introduces an electronically-controlled mechanical LSD in order to really compete with the stock Camaro performance models. Does the GT350/R have one? I don't think so... this "Mach I" (or whatever the marketing label ends up being) would be a perfect model to introduce such a thing, along with an updated GT350 lineup coinciding with the MY18 refresh.

I can't wait to see how this plays out; a Mach I model with the larger 5.2L displacement, cross-plane crank, better rubber, more chassis bracing, better brakes, revised touch pieces (i.e. alcantara steering wheel and shifter), and new body panels with added aero pieces. This would make a nice 1LE indirect competitor. That's what I'd hope to see.

Seriously though, Ford... get on that eLSD wagon already. Give it more displacement, which leads to more power—but most importantly more mid-range torque—and allow it to put that power down far better with a more advanced rear axle setup. I'm expecting the long-awaited DI addition to help things as far as output's concerned, too.

And for the love of God, I hope that the guy's who were in charge of the C/S package have nothing to do with the aesthetics of this thing.
I agree with everything here except maybe the DI. I've heard conflicting things about Direct Injection -- not sure if it's a good idea or not.

The C/S package was a disappointment. Most of it looked okay... but the front grill just completely f*cked up the whole look, such that it looks like a cheaper GT, not a more expensive one. It looked okay in pictures, but in person, I was not impressed. But, the pony package for the EB is worse... ick.

Ford doesn't really have to do a lot, if you think about it. The Mustang is a better value for the dollar than the Camaro, even if the Camaro is better in an absolute sense. But a Mach 1, or semi-premium version just a bit above the Performance Package would even things out. Give us a 10 speed auto for the drag people. Give us +25hp on the Coyote or so. Give us an "in-between" option between GTPP and GT350 to compete with high-end SS and 1LE. Done deal. Then keep the base GT around at the $33k price point.

Then you'd beat the Camaro on value at the lower end, and match them in performance in the mid and upper market segments.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Seeing an aggressive splitter makes me think this is an R Package GT. The 2004 Mustang GT-R had a small lip.

Too bad the Mach 1 Package isn't a Drag Pack for the GT or a supercharged 5.0 in the GT Equipment Group. I'd be interested in a Competition Spec GT for around $40,000.

Sponsored

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80
anyone else notice the extended wheel studs?

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
anyone else notice the extended wheel studs?
That's not that uncommon on mule vehicles developed for performance/track use. Like with real race cars, it facilitates easy tire changes while doing test work. It doesn't indicate anything that would be production.

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80
That's not that uncommon on mule vehicles developed for performance/track use. Like with real race cars, it facilitates easy tire changes while doing test work. It doesn't indicate anything that would be production.
I have extended studs on all my cars, I'm aware what they are for and wasn't expecting them on a production car. Just didn't know they actually ran them on test mules. Thought it was kinda cool

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Well, there you go. Like I said, its something you might see on mules that see a bit of track time where frequent tire changes are expected. But vehicles built for any number of other types of testing aren't likely to have them.

dddd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR6T
It's a Mach1 ...it will be a package like the (Bullitt/Cal Special)...Coyote...tweaked...you'll finally have your PP auto...and whats a Mach without a shaker.
If it's going to be a package, does that tend to suggest that it will use the standard GT motor. As to the tweaked coyote, I have no doubt the revised standard 2018 GT will certainly have the motor tweaked, it we need to to compete with the Camaro

Sponsored

jman3350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 in Torch Red w/ Auto
If it's going to be a package, does that tend to suggest that it will use the standard GT motor
He does state it'd be a tweaked coyote so most likely it'll be the standard 5.0 coyote with some sort of tune/a few changes.

ftrv8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
On order '17, but still looking at '18
Sure hope the stealerships won't jack up prices, and it's just a package option.

dddd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR6T
He does state it'd be a tweaked coyote so most likely it'll be the standard 5.0 coyote with some sort of tune/a few changes.
Yes but that's my point the standard 2018 GT will already be tweaked.
Hell I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't even a 5.0 but a 5.2,(don't they now do the spraybore process in house) as torque (ie capacity increase) is what It really needs to compete against the Camaro