Sponsored

Mach 1 S550 Mustang First Video

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
For the 2003/2004 Mach 1's, they had a 4.6L V8 32V motor rather than the 4.6L V8 16V motor. It also has the shaker hood with a ram air intake. iirc it was more of a "track" type car that was between the GT and Terminator Cobra. I'm not too well versed on all the differences even though I own a mach, but I'd definitely love to know, especially with the older ones.
As the moderator on the Mach 1 website, I can help with any questions you might have, Tony Alonso was also a moderator there during his tenure as a Mach 1 owner. We both caught a glimpse of an S197 mule in Michigan while at the Ford 100 event, so we can both tell you that there's more to a mule or prototype that generally meets the eye.
As to the '03/'04 Mach 1s, in addition to the things that you did see; shaker, stripes, wheels, etc. many things you didn't see were just as critical in making it a very different car than a GT. The subframe connectors, underbody brace, Brembos, gears, Navigator cams helped make this more than a one trick pony. Scott and Art were smart in using many off the shelf parts in a mix to allow them to build a unique car whle allowing them to use the budget savings to spend money where it really needed to be spent. (But it did keep the Cobra Jet scripts off the shaker)
Sponsored

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
So, I gotta ask,.......what's the big deal about this Mach 1? The car in the video looks very similar to the GT PP car,..no?? Maybe this is just the early stages, but I assume it's going to have some performance upgrades and Mach 1 emblems to stand out from other Mustang cars?
Can someone please specify? Thanks.
It's a test mule! What do you expect? A big graphic on the side, saying "hey everyone! Here's the new Mach 1 that no one knows anything about, but we wanted you to know that's what it is!
Soooo, you mentioned Bullitt...does that mean you're assuming that package will be coming too? :)
C'mon man! Let it go. The Bullitt has been done numerous times already and it's just a movie car.:repost: ;):cheers:
I guess the question is - what made him so sure of it? There really is nothing to corroborate it, so it remains his speculation. If the speculation is based on something definitive, fine. Perhaps he'll share what that is. But so far, there's nothing of the sort. As a coworker says, "without data, you're just another person with an opinion". The photographer's opinion is fine, but to me isn't worth more than my own, since at least I know what own speculation is based on. My own digging seems to contradict what the photographer is suggesting, so I'm reluctant to continue drinking that koolaide...
This is his job! Do you really think he would still be in business if he wasn't showing "spy shots" of a future production vehicle? Do you really think he knows what this is on his own? No way! "Someone" :ford: informed him that he needed to take pics of this.
"Presumed to be" a Mach1 prototype mule? By whom? Especially for wheels which would give away so much of the looks, whatever gets thrown onto a mule has more to do with whatever spare set happens to be laying around with enough tread to be street legal. This could be testing any of a number of Ford Performance parts using a car that already had a set of Sport axle backs which themselves may have been tested a year or longer ago. The spoiler may have been a rejected concept which conveniently muddies the waters for the photo happy who het their jollies by trying to scoop what Ford spends unholy sums to develop and keep under wraps until it decides to go to market.

Nobody can know what the hell this may or may not be. Given emissions certification costs, it's not likely to include any significant powertrain improvements or differences, presuming it's testing something significant to begin with.

A Mach 1 wouldn't likely be more than an appearance and/or option package, with most having a stronger recollection of the modern homage than the original. Especially with more recent, and far more lucrative and well-known sub-models to reintroduce on the S550 platform, I'm not convinced of how strongly the market is clamoring for a factory dress up option.
Seriously? I don't get how a few posters here look at this test mule and can take everything they see here for face value (for clarification, I'm not talking specifically about the poster I'm quoting). Meaning that all the visual cues show what it will look like in production. No one said this is slightly veiled production version. They are testing certain aspects and none of us know exactly what it is that they are testing. It could be airflow, exhaust sound, different suspension geometry, different transmission, engine, soundproofing and the list goes on and on.
If they were simply testing Ford Performance parts, would this video be getting all the hoopla that it is? Don't you think they test future performance parts all the time?? If that's all this is, wouldn't we see pics and videos like this all the time too? There's a reason this is making news. Please "read between the lines."
As far as the Mach 1 being a "package" car, I agree with you. Similar to the Bullitt, C/S and P/P goes...that's all it was originally too! The difference is that both the last Bullitt and Mach 1 did have significant differences to them performance-wise over the GT that was offered then. The last Bullitt was the predecessor to the Performance Pack that was offered the following year. Suspension was an inch lower and had upgraded variable octane tuning and I can't remember what else was different, (H pipe?) The last generation Mach 1 had a unique engine and retro visual cues such as the shaker hood, which did provide increased performance at higher speeds. If Ford was able to do these changes then, why wouldn't they be able to do it now? They can and will, if it's justifiable for increased sales. By the way, the original Mach 1 package outsold the standard version GT enough so that GT was eliminated for a short period of time in the Mustang's history. Look at how well the California Special has done as an appearance package for justification.

If the shaker doesn't really bring anything significant to the party performance-wise, I wouldn't be sad to see it go. I certainly hope Ford has no intention of pasting any fake scoops on the car. What I'd really like to see is MagneRide as a standard part of a Mach 1 package or at very least a stand-alone option that can be stacked with a Mach 1 package. :D
I'm hoping you're on to something with the MagneRide being a standard offering. Likewise some performance improvements. Although, I don't see the shaker hood being aesthetically pleasing with the S550, a modern version may make it work. Otherwise, the '71-'74 looked great with the NACA ducts in the hood. In fact, we kind of have the modern version already. Maybe it could be more aggressively styled on the Mach 1? All in all, I'm looking forward to how this develops.

jman3350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 in Torch Red w/ Auto
As the moderator on the Mach 1 website, I can help with any questions you might have, Tony Alonso was also a moderator there during his tenure as a Mach 1 owner. We both caught a glimpse of an SN197 mule in Michigan while at the Ford 100 event, so we can both tell you that there's more to a mule or prototype that generally meets the eye.
As to the '03/'04 Mach 1s, in addition to the things that you did see; shaker, stripes, wheels, etc. many things you didn't see were just as critical in making it a very different car than a GT. The subframe connectors, underbody brace, Brembos, gears, Navigator cams helped make this more than a one trick pony. Scott and Art were smart in using many off the shelf parts in a mix to allow them to build a unique car whle allowing them to use the budget savings to spend money where it really needed to be spent. (But it did keep the Cobra Jet scripts off the shaker)
I knew about the subframe connectors but forgot to mention them. This mach 1 being my first car (and a privilege at that) I have no idea what all the diffrences are. Does the mach 1 actually have brembo brakes? If it does, would that mean I can't just use any brake pads on it?

Also what are the navigator cams? I'd love to learn more but I used to not have a care in the world about cars until I started driving this daily just a year ago.

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
Lincoln Navigator cams. I assume they make it breathe better. I also assume the Navigator only had the 5.4 Liter Triton V8.

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Interested to see how they implement the rear valance.

Sponsored

Swamp Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep Liberty
One other thing- cooling. I would really love it if Ford would offer a "performance cooling package" that would enable a Mach 1 purchaser or a GT purchaser to get an engine cooling/ transmission cooling/differential cooling set up of similar effectiveness to that available on the GT350.

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
So, generally speaking, is Mach1 a suspension upgrade model or more engine power or both?

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
I knew about the subframe connectors but forgot to mention them. This mach 1 being my first car (and a privilege at that) I have no idea what all the diffrences are. Does the mach 1 actually have brembo brakes? If it does, would that mean I can't just use any brake pads on it?

Also what are the navigator cams? I'd love to learn more but I used to not have a care in the world about cars until I started driving this daily just a year ago.
The has Brembo sourced calipers and PBR rotors om the front, whle the rrears are the same as a GT. A hint, when buying brake parts, tell them it's a Cobra it save on a LOT of confusion. Seriously. You don't need to use Brembo brand pads, there are many good pads out there (and not so good as well). I'm currently using Carbon Ceramics from O'Reillys, and they have been great. The exhaust cams are from a 5.4 Nav, which helps on the bottom end, especially compared to the '99/'01 Cobra 4.6 DOHC engine.

Z-Rocks, the '03/'04 Mach was both a power and a suspension upgrade from the regular GT., as well as the cosmetic differences.

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
Z-Rocks, the '03/'04 Mach was both a power and a suspension upgrade from the regular GT., as well as the cosmetic differences.
That sounds awesome. Because I want something a bit more powerful and better suspension than GT for DD but not at the level of GT350 as a track car.

So the Mach1 paired with a couple of Turbos, and a better suspension, will make a great toy.
Is this going to be a 2017 or 2018 MY?

jman3350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
The has Brembo sourced calipers and PBR rotors om the front, whle the rrears are the same as a GT. A hint, when buying brake parts, tell them it's a Cobra it save on a LOT of confusion. Seriously. You don't need to use Brembo brand pads, there are many good pads out there (and not so good as well). I'm currently using Carbon Ceramics from O'Reillys, and they have been great. The exhaust cams are from a 5.4 Nav, which helps on the bottom end, especially compared to the '99/'01 Cobra 4.6 DOHC engine.

Okay I'll tell them that. I have a set of front brake pads on that some guy installed (spent $23 per set apparently, didn't know that till it was done) that won't stop squealing and throw a lot of brake dust. I was wondering why it stopped so fast though!

And @Z-Rocks if it's going to release itd be more likely its 2018 or later, since apparently 2017 is dropping in June and I'm not sure if it'd be ready by then unless they're way farther ahead than we know.

Sponsored

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
props to the OP

I want THAT spoiler. Like the Roush attached to the lip but doesn't stick out so much

jman3350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
props to the OP

I want THAT spoiler. Like the Roush attached to the lip but doesn't stick out so much
Personally I'd like to see stuff like the CS spoiler available standalone, but it's not even available aftermarket it seems. I could definitely live with the one in the pics though.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
We need to see a model that introduces an electronically-controlled mechanical LSD in order to really compete with the stock Camaro performance models. Does the GT350/R have one? I don't think so... this "Mach I" (or whatever the marketing label ends up being) would be a perfect model to introduce such a thing, along with an updated GT350 lineup coinciding with the MY18 refresh.

I can't wait to see how this plays out; a Mach I model with the larger 5.2L displacement, cross-plane crank, better rubber, more chassis bracing, better brakes, revised touch pieces (i.e. alcantara steering wheel and shifter), and new body panels with added aero pieces. This would make a nice 1LE indirect competitor. That's what I'd hope to see.

Seriously though, Ford... get on that eLSD wagon already. Give it more displacement, which leads to more power—but most importantly more mid-range torque—and allow it to put that power down far better with a more advanced rear axle setup. I'm expecting the long-awaited DI addition to help things as far as output's concerned, too.

And for the love of God, I hope that the guy's who were in charge of the C/S package have nothing to do with the aesthetics of this thing.