Sponsored

Mach 1 S550 Mustang First Video

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
For the 2003/2004 Mach 1's, they had a 4.6L V8 32V motor rather than the 4.6L V8 16V motor. It also has the shaker hood with a ram air intake. iirc it was more of a "track" type car that was between the GT and Terminator Cobra. I'm not too well versed on all the differences even though I own a mach, but I'd definitely love to know, especially with the older ones.
I know of the older Mach 1's, a friend had one. Nice cars.
I'm talking about this new one. I don't see any difference other than wheels and a front splitter.
Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Ford mentions 2020 the new chassis, but isn't it in fact MY 2021 in the YEAR 2020.
Should be mostly aluminum by then eh?! :)

Last edited:

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Topnotch is an insider, I'd listen to him if I were you guys. ;)
Nobody knew more about the 2015 when it's release was imminent. Topnotch is a man in the know ;)

Swamp Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep Liberty
It's a Mach1 ...it will be a package like the (Bullitt/Cal Special)...Coyote...tweaked...you'll finally have your PP auto...and whats a Mach without a shaker.
If the shaker doesn't really bring anything significant to the party performance-wise, I wouldn't be sad to see it go. I certainly hope Ford has no intention of pasting any fake scoops on the car. What I'd really like to see is MagneRide as a standard part of a Mach 1 package or at very least a stand-alone option that can be stacked with a Mach 1 package. :D

Sponsored

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
It's a Mach1 ...it will be a package like the (Bullitt/Cal Special)...Coyote...tweaked...you'll finally have your PP auto...and whats a Mach without a shaker.

I can see this in my future.

Sawman70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Cobra, 13 GT Vert, 15 GT, 12 535i, 16 F type R
If the shaker doesn't really bring anything significant to the party performance-wise, I wouldn't be sad to see it go. I certainly hope Ford has no intention of pasting any fake scoops on the car. What I'd really like to see is MagneRide as a standard part of a Mach 1 package or at very least a stand-alone option that can be stacked with a Mach 1 package. :D
Yes!

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Instead of a refresh for 2018 MY , maybe Ford will just keep the Mustang fresh by bringing out special model editions like the Mach 1 and Bullit and make subtle changes to the body.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
"Presumed to be" a Mach1 prototype mule? By whom? Especially for wheels which would give away so much of the looks, whatever gets thrown onto a mule has more to do with whatever spare set happens to be laying around with enough tread to be street legal. This could be testing any of a number of Ford Performance parts using a car that already had a set of Sport axle backs which themselves may have been tested a year or longer ago. The spoiler may have been a rejected concept which conveniently muddies the waters for the photo happy who het their jollies by trying to scoop what Ford spends unholy sums to develop and keep under wraps until it decides to go to market.

Nobody can know what the hell this may or may not be. Given emissions certification costs, it's not likely to include any significant powertrain improvements or differences, presuming it's testing something significant to begin with.

A Mach 1 wouldn't likely be more than an appearance and/or option package, with most having a stronger recollection of the modern homage than the original. Especially with more recent, and far more lucrative and well-known sub-models to reintroduce on the S550 platform, I'm not convinced of how strongly the market is clamoring for a factory dress up option.
So salty....

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic Sedan EX, 2014 Honda VFR800F
Name aside, this looks very promising... :)

The Camaro and Challenger both have (available) variable exhausts on their models and the 5.0 would definitely benefit from having that option, too. Considering the GT350 has one, it would seem like a no-brainer. Mag suspension would be a welcome option, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 10A is available, as well. We all know it's alive and well in the ZL1, so hopefully Ford won't be too far behind.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but if this really IS a Mach1...I hope it's just as easy as selecting an option package like the GT/CS or PP. This will ensure the affordability of the car, IMHO.

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I'm not saying there is anything exotic about any of those things but the Camaro has always had more aggressive features set with a corresponding higher price tag relative to the Mustang. That's just not the strategy Ford has had. They aim to be the price leader and leave a good deal on the table for the aftermarket to clean up. This formula works for the vast majority of buyers.

They could change that strategy but I'd be surprised to see these offered in the base GT and if they do we should all prepare for a significant price hike.
I don't think making a more aggressive exhaust an option is changing strategy. The GT350 already has the dual mode exhaust and I'm sure there's less people buying exhausts because of it. The tech is all developed already, menus in the dash display, etc so this seems like an easy trickle-down feature that would be a home run. They can still be the price leader while charging an extra grand or so for the people that want it. Very few want adaptive cruise control but they still offer that. I think the take rate on stuff like a quad exhaust and chin spoiler would be much higher. Those that don't want it can still have their 32k base GT.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
The front splitter implies more of a Boss302 purpose, not Mach1...confused.
And the engineers have done their job. Is it a Mach 1, GT500, Boss???

EXACTLY why they can let it roam in the wild at this point. Tomorrow they will paint one Highland Green and "oh shit, it's the new Bullitt". God help us all if they wanted be real A-Holes and put a "EcoBoost" logo on the trunk lid with that exhaust note.

These guys have been doing this for many many years.. I used to be one of them.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
"Presumed to be" a Mach1 prototype mule? By whom? Especially for wheels which would give away so much of the looks, whatever gets thrown onto a mule has more to do with whatever spare set happens to be laying around with enough tread to be street legal. This could be testing any of a number of Ford Performance parts using a car that already had a set of Sport axle backs which themselves may have been tested a year or longer ago. The spoiler may have been a rejected concept which conveniently muddies the waters for the photo happy who het their jollies by trying to scoop what Ford spends unholy sums to develop and keep under wraps until it decides to go to market.

Nobody can know what the hell this may or may not be. Given emissions certification costs, it's not likely to include any significant powertrain improvements or differences, presuming it's testing something significant to begin with.

A Mach 1 wouldn't likely be more than an appearance and/or option package, with most having a stronger recollection of the modern homage than the original. Especially with more recent, and far more lucrative and well-known sub-models to reintroduce on the S550 platform, I'm not convinced of how strongly the market is clamoring for a factory dress up option.
This could, absolutely, just be an engineering mule for various Ford Performance parts that may appear as options on the refreshed GT.

Do we know for sure this is a Mach 1? Of course not. Until the day the Ford press release hits, no-one can 100% confirm that's what this car is. However, there are pieces of a puzzle that are slowly coming together. Ford re-registering the Mach 1 name a couple of years ago (I do appreciate this could just be so that they can retain the name for marketing purposes), there's the fact this forum (well respected and accurate on the information/videos/spyshots from the early days of S550 development) has created a specific Mach 1 section.......then there are certain long-standing member here (some of which have posted on this thread)....members that should be listened to, as they've been right in the past.

:)

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I know of the older Mach 1's, a friend had one. Nice cars.
I'm talking about this new one. I don't see any difference other than wheels and a front splitter.
Don't read too much into what you're seeing with this prototype. Firstly, if a Mach 1 is coming for the '18MY, then we'd expect it to have that car's facelift. Clearly this prototype isn't sporting that refresh, so we can assume it's a very early mule. I suspect 90% of what they are testing are the underpinnings....and we're not going to be able to tell what they are from these shots (beefed up rear end, aside).

This is pure speculation, but I'd expect the Mach 1 to be a "GT-Plus". Think of today's GT with pretty much every option thrown at it, rather like the 1964 50th Anniversary Limited Edition cars. I do hope it offers some performance increase over the "stock" GT, but I wouldn't bet my house on it. Ideally I'd like to see a 5.2 CPC Coyote (the add Twin Turbos or Supercharger for the GT500 in a year or two). Perhaps it'll just be a 5.0 with a different intake. Perhaps it'll have MagneRide as standard (whilst the GT only has it as an option).

Once the final car arrives, I'd expect it to have unique wheels and graphics, inspired by the original Mach 1. Top Notch has indicated a shaker hood. I'd also expect unique interior trim (again, rather like that 50th LE).

:)

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
What jumps at me the most from these pics is the lowered ride height in the front.
Sponsored