Sponsored

sleepy floy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'74 Ford Bronco, '15 Jeep Wrangler
Apologies for going off-topic here a little, but this pic flooded back a lot of memories for me. My brother and I had this exact track setup. A lot of cold Maine winter hours were spent "at the track" when we were young boys...
My brother has been gone for over 27 years, but seems like yesterday we were racing our AFX cars.
Thanks for posting this, Buckwampum!
OK... I'm done...getting watery eyed now.
Yeah, too funny. I had the exact same track (I don't remember if it had Jackie Stewart on the cover, but I was 7 years old at the time.). I remember having the same car on the inside lane, but mine had a lime green stripe down the middle. My dad's been gone for 35 years now, but AFX tracks were so much fun in those early years.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
Yeah, too funny. I had the exact same track (I don't remember if it had Jackie Stewart on the cover, but I was 7 years old at the time.). I remember having the same car on the inside lane, but mine had a lime green stripe down the middle. My dad's been gone for 35 years now, but AFX tracks were so much fun in those early years.
For sure! Good childhood memories....
I don't remember what color my cars were, but I do remember we set the AFX track up along with our Dad's American Flyer train set and had a lot going on at once.
Not sure what ever happened to the AFX track, but I still have the train set with the engines and railcars displayed in my office.
Thanks for sharing the memories!

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
This Jackie Stewart slot car set was my starter set when I was a kid! The car's headlights lit up, and I remember the metal tool shown in the bottom right corner. Good memories.
I had forgotten that the headlights lit up....
Those were cool cars back in the day.

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
The mach1 won’t have any issues besting the GT350 as the PP2 already did that. Main drawback to the PP2 straight line was the terrible gearing of the MT-82D4. Hardcore track performance was hindered due to a lack of cooling.
Still waiting on proof for this asinine comment. PP2 wasn't even able to deliver on the 1LE so not sure how this is possible.

Sponsored

Porsche Dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 2, 2004 Porsche Boxster S
Still waiting on proof for this asinine comment. PP2 wasn't even able to deliver on the 1LE so not sure how this is possible.
OK, I am going to bite on this. I have passed a few GT350’s at Area 27, a track here in BC. I run neck and neck against my friend’s GT350 R, if he is in front, I cannot get past him. If I am in front, he can’t get past me. I have overtaken a few L1E’s and have been blown away by one with a professional driver. I have even passed Porsche GT3’s and been passed by them and GT 4’s. Stats, numbers, spec’s and bench racing are one thing but 99% of the time it comes down to driver ability and seat time. I am happy I got the PP2 and for a daily driver, it provides me with a lot of fun at the track with my buds.

OP
OP
jake_zx2

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Lolwut? PP2 beat the 1LE by a pretty healthy margin at VIR. PP2 is def faster than a 1LE, but a GT350 is questionable. I could see it being faster than the 15-18 GT350 based on tires alone, but we’ve already seen that the PP2 gets beaten by the 2019 GT350 (but that mostly came down to less compliant suspension and less speed in the straights, 2 measures that the Mach 1 will be significantly better in)

Porsche Dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Lolwut? PP2 beat the 1LE by a pretty healthy margin at VIR. PP2 is def faster than a 1LE, but a GT350 is questionable. I could see it being faster than the 15-18 GT350 based on tires alone, but we’ve already seen that the PP2 gets beaten by the 2019 GT350 (but that mostly came down to less compliant suspension and less speed in the straights, 2 measures that the Mach 1 will be significantly better in)
I also found out yesterday that the Handling Package will not be available on the Mach 1 until Job 2, March production. The Handling Package includes the wide wheels and 305 Cup 2 tires in a square set up.

OP
OP
jake_zx2

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I also found out yesterday that the Handling Package will not be available on the Mach 1 until Job 2, March production. The Handling Package includes the wide wheels and 305 Cup 2 tires in a square set up.
Yeah, I think we were all anticipating that. I mean, ordering for it doesn’t even begin until January, so it makes sense for production to start around March

No bother to me though, as I don’t plan on picking it up until June or so when I move out of state next year

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Stats, numbers, spec’s and bench racing are one thing but 99% of the time it comes down to driver ability and seat time.
. Bottom line!! There are people with the talent to drive anything fast, I was gifted with the ability to drive everything slow but consistent. Excited Ford decide to go forward with the Mach 1. Still a little undecided on what to get. But we have some good choices.

Sponsored

Porsche Dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I think we were all anticipating that. I mean, ordering for it doesn’t even begin until January, so it makes sense for production to start around March

No bother to me though, as I don’t plan on picking it up until June or so when I move out of state next year
You can order now. I just put two in for our stock with the fighter jet grey colour and orange Brembo calipers.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
I remember watching a youtube where a guy was reviewing the PP2, and running against a GT350 around a track. He said he could best the GT350 for about 2 laps, but then his rear end got hot.

OP
OP
jake_zx2

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
You can order now. I just put two in for our stock with the fighter jet grey colour and orange Brembo calipers.
You can order the Mach 1, but you can’t order the handling package yet. HP ordering doesn’t open until January

Also, something I didn’t notice from your original post... Mach 1 HP doesn’t get 305 square, it gets 305 front and 315 rear

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
There's really only two accredited publications that have compared both cars, but here is the summary from Motor Trend.

The 2018 Ford Mustang GT PP2 is, indeed, the best Mustang GT ever. However, with outright wins in acceleration, figure eight, skidpad lateral-g average, a Laguna Seca lap time, as well as the unanimously favorable subjective analysis from our staff and Randy Pobst, the Camaro SS 1LE is still the best all-around pony car available—but by a narrower margin this time.

Similar story over at Car and Driver.

I don't mean to shit all over the PP2, because it is a very good effort by Ford. But I made this comparison to show how the PP2 beating the GT350 would be silly since the 1LE is already about half a tick off the Shelby.

OP
OP
jake_zx2

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Similar story over at Car and Driver.
Except it’s not... at C&D, the Mustang put down better numbers in every measure, including a pretty healthy advantage at Lightning Lap

I don't mean to shit all over the PP2, because it is a very good effort by Ford. But I made this comparison to show how the PP2 beating the GT350 would be silly since the 1LE is already about half a tick off the Shelby.
The GT350 is about half a tick off the Shelby R. That’s an important distinction, as although the 2019+ GT350 is within spitting distance of a GT350R, the 2015-2018 was quite a bit off the pace (IIRC, by Ford’s admission, up to 3 seconds a lap at certain tracks). Meanwhile, the 1LE is within less than 1 second offa GT350R at LS, meaning the GT350 would be lucky to set a matching pace, let alone beat it. And then, of course, we have to mention that it has even beaten an R’s lap time at willow springs with the same driver (I know, different day, but still indicative of how close the cars can be)

So ultimately, the shortcomings that the PP2 have compared to the 1LE are mostly in the subjective sense (driver inspiring, compliant suspension, responsive steering) yet it still matches it in performance. The Mach 1 HP improves upon all of those complaints, with suspension components specifically designed to reduce tramlining, increase steering feedback, offer more suspension compliance, better shifts, better gear ratios, and better acceleration... and if Ford can deliver what they’re promising, we should have a car that will no doubt beat the 1LE and GT350v1, while nipping I’m the heels and perhaps even topping the 2019+ GT350
Sponsored