Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
That’s an... interesting... correction. You would think they would specify the GT350’s advantage on SHORT tracks considering its perceived handling advantage, with the Mach 1 being more equal on longer tracks.

Methinks Jim meant what he said, but Ford marketing didn’t want a chance of it interfering with GT500 sales... you know, since they’re still selling that car
All marketing. Of course it will be quick. A mistake of saying almost as quick as the 500...could easily be a plant as well. Ford is killing me with some of the BS, side/double-talk.
Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
The 2021 Mach1 is certainly faster than the 2021 GT350.
I highly doubt that. Mach 1 is most likely heavier than the GT350 since its based on a regular GT platform. GT350 also shares parts from GT500 if i remember right. Mach 1 is also lacking down in power. I am guessing performance wise, Mach 1 will be in between a GT350 and a PP2 mustang.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
Glad you liked it! I had a slightly larger track, circa 1976, and my older brother and I just about wore it out in the long Adirondack winters where we grew up.

However, we were pikers compared to my brother's friend Albert, who had a mega-spread setup, that took up his whole basement. It was one of those ones where you had to go hands and knees under the platform and then you stood up in the center, while the track was all around you. Albert was a great kid, we played over there for hours and he was always such a great host. His dad was an engineer and had modified the AFX cars so that they would rip down the track. His set-up had 20'-plus straights and you had to really watch the throttle or at the upcoming corner, you would launch your car into the basement wall and at that speed, it was like a wreck at LeMans, where the car was destroyed....

Sorry you lost your brother, but it sounds like you've got great memories of him. When someone remembers you, you never really die.
Thanks Buckwampum!
My brother and I were tight....17 months apart and we grew up in the thick woods of Franklin County, Maine. We were best friends. He was killed in an industrial accident at 25 years old.
Miss him like crazy every day.
I really liked your "Albert" story....what an amazing setup and a great place to hang out.
Best-

Last edited:

Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
I don’t get it why including the production year of the GT350. GT350 was going to be discontinued for 2021 model years. The car also received some upgrades starting year 19 to 20 with some parts from the GT500. Now back to the Mach 1, it should be faster than the ss 1le since Ford had all the time and development under their belt.

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
That’s an... interesting... correction. You would think they would specify the GT350’s advantage on SHORT tracks considering its perceived handling advantage, with the Mach 1 being more equal on longer tracks.

Methinks Jim meant what he said, but Ford marketing didn’t want a chance of it interfering with GT500 sales... you know, since they’re still selling that car
Ford Marketing Be like...
giphy.gif

Porsche Dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 2, 2004 Porsche Boxster S
Seems like the headline has been "corrected" to state that the author meant the GT350, not the GT500. That kind of makes more sense to me. That said, they didn't bother to update any of the body of the article to make it consistent with the headline. Hmm
From what I read, he said the Mach 1 would stay close to a GT500 on a short race track but on a longer track the GT500 is going to walk away from the Mach 1. My PP2 is running with the GT350 today and I am able to overtake a lot of them. I run neck and neck with my friends GT350R and I have not been able to get around him on a 5 km track. The biggest difference between all these cars is the driver and their track experience.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
Yep. Seat time > shiny new car. Though a better car setup can help the driver confidence part. I'm only considering Mach 1 because of the 3 cars I've had with the MT82 the PP2 has given me the most problems shifting on track and Mach comes with coolers. If I dump money into Tremec, coolers, tune I could be as fast or faster but I'd rather have all that stuff and a warranty :). Plus a Mach 1 might hold better value then a PP2 down the road.

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
It would be pretty hard for the Mach 1 to make up for the 280hp it lacks from the GT500.
Although not that hard. And the Mach 1 does have the 6 speed Tremec.......hmmm.
Straightaways correct....but handling is more important overall. The weight over the nose with the supercharger will definitely hurt it in the turns and low speed areas of a track. Plus if you get into any heatsoak issues or hot enough temps, all of that extra power goes out the window.

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Now that the Ford engineers have had some years to work with the IRS , I would not be surprised to see the 2021 Mach 1 hang with the GT350 on some tracks and run with the GT500 on small tight tracks.

Cody5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Performance Pack
Now that the Ford engineers have had some years to work with the IRS , I would not be surprised to see the 2021 Mach 1 hang with the GT350 on some tracks and run with the GT500 on small tight tracks.
The mach1 won’t have any issues besting the GT350 as the PP2 already did that. Main drawback to the PP2 straight line was the terrible gearing of the MT-82D4. Hardcore track performance was hindered due to a lack of cooling.

MountainStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
The mach1 won’t have any issues besting the GT350 as the PP2 already did that. Main drawback to the PP2 straight line was the terrible gearing of the MT-82D4. Hardcore track performance was hindered due to a lack of cooling.
Im excited to start seeing some comparisons. Especially the HP, but that won't probably until Feb or March