Mach 1 or GT350…

OP
OP

BrakeFade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E39 M5, '21 CFTP GT500
The first time I saw a friends GT 350 up on a rack and saw all the counterweights underneath, that made me nervous. I'd go Mach 1. Maybe sacrilege, but not a VooDoo fan.
Where did you see the counterweights?
Sponsored

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
Right now low mileage 17 GT350s are same price range as M1 HP. Basically selling at MSRP if lower mileage. It is indeed a crazy intoxicating engine to drive. Not without major issues and those 17s are coming close the 5 year mark. Tough call. P

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
Where did you see the counterweights?
"There are mass damper weights mounted all over the GT350 chassis. It is amazing how much effort they put into damping the vibrations of this unusual engine, but people love the way it sounds, and it is made to rev up to a higher RPM, which helps it eek out more power (526 hp) than the 2015-17 5.0L (435 hp) or the 2018 GT engine (460 hp). The higher powered Shelbys also get a stronger 6 speed manual." (content from Vorshlag Blog)

DSC_2185-L.jpg

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
"There are mass damper weights mounted all over the GT350 chassis. It is amazing how much effort they put into damping the vibrations of this unusual engine, but people love the way it sounds, and it is made to rev up to a higher RPM, which helps it eek out more power (526 hp) than the 2015-17 5.0L (435 hp) or the 2018 GT engine (460 hp). The higher powered Shelbys also get a stronger 6 speed manual." (content from Vorshlag Blog)

DSC_2185-L.jpg
Ford used the gt350 as a test platform for the Mach 1 transmission

:giggle:

Sponsored

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Right now low mileage 17 GT350s are same price range as M1 HP. Basically selling at MSRP if lower mileage. It is indeed a crazy intoxicating engine to drive. Not without major issues and those 17s are coming close the 5 year mark. Tough call. P
Man.....I agree they are awesome cars, but I swear the bottom is going to drop out on the GT350 market soon, at least for the older cars and anything with mileage. Mint 2019/2020's and Rs will probably retain their values at least somewhat.

It'd be easier to recommend the 17 if it was easy to get an extended warranty, but most places won't sell ford ESP on a 17 from what I've heard?

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man.....I agree they are awesome cars, but I swear the bottom is going to drop out on the GT350 market soon, at least for the older cars and anything with mileage. Mint 2019/2020's and Rs will probably retain their values at least somewhat.

It'd be easier to recommend the 17 if it was easy to get an extended warranty, but most places won't sell ford ESP on a 17 from what I've heard?
I’ve suspected for some time that as they come out of warranty the market will change. It’s an entirely different ownership experience when you are potentially on the hook for a $20k+ engine. I don’t think a ton of mustang buyers are ready for that.
of Course the low mile showroom condition r’s will continue to be worth a lot but the average gt350 that has been driven and no warranty? I don’t see it

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

DSC_2185-L.jpg
Does a damper on the exhaust system count as being on the chassis? This Vorshlag dude doesn't seem to parse his words very carefully. I'm not going to claim he doesn't know cars, because I think he does. Seems like he's just trying to put down the GT350 and looking for an excuse.

I'm not aware of any counterweights on the GT350, other than on the crankshaft (just like every other ICE). And I'm not aware of any vibration dampers other than the two on the exhaust.

OP
OP

BrakeFade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E39 M5, '21 CFTP GT500
Does a damper on the exhaust system count as being on the chassis? This Vorshlag dude doesn't seem to parse his words very carefully. I'm not going to claim he doesn't know cars, because I think he does. Seems like he's just trying to put down the GT350 and looking for an excuse.

I'm not aware of any counterweights on the GT350, other than on the crankshaft (just like every other ICE). And I'm not aware of any vibration dampers other than the two on the exhaust.
I just read the early 350s were losing oil filters due to vibrations. Gotta be something there as far as vibrations are concerned.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I just read the early 350s were losing oil filters due to vibrations. Gotta be something there as far as vibrations are concerned.
I've never heard that. I do know that the filter has to be torqued to spec, so it's definitely possible that someone didn't torque the filter correctly.

But then the cause of a problem would be incorrect installation, not vibrations. I've never heard of a properly installed filter being "lost" due to vibrations.

To be clear, I'm not saying the Voodoo doesn't vibrate. Yes it does. And it vibrates more than a cross plane engine. But I'm pretty sure there are no "counter weights on the chassis".

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
OK so I haven't owned a mach 1 but I have owned a gt pp1 10a car that I put 25k miles on... lowered on HREs

If daily driving a car I'd go with the mach 1 hands down. Coyote is an awesome motor and my car with the 10a was a beast in a straight line... did resononator delete... sounded great with active exhaust

Yes my gt350 motor could blow up at any second and if you read the f250 forums my power stroke should be killing its fuel pump resulting in 20k damage any day now also

Tons of gt350s with tons of miles. I did search out a gen 2 voodoo for the upgrades.

For a weekend car I prefer the gt350.

Yes things could break but I have incurable bone marrow cancer and just spent week in hospital with covid pneumonia. Tomorrow isn't promised. Buy what you enjoy

That being said as a daily a mach would be an incredible car.. I would rock one for sure. Even as a weekend car... tons of fun. Can only imagine how much fun the mach is vs my old pp1 car.

Life is short. Buy what you enjoy ...not just for a warranty. Otherwise we all be rocking Hyundai with 100k warranty lol

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
OK so I haven't owned a mach 1 but I have owned a gt pp1 10a car that I put 25k miles on... lowered on HREs

If daily driving a car I'd go with the mach 1 hands down. Coyote is an awesome motor and my car with the 10a was a beast in a straight line... did resononator delete... sounded great with active exhaust

Yes my gt350 motor could blow up at any second and if you read the f250 forums my power stroke should be killing its fuel pump resulting in 20k damage any day now also

Tons of gt350s with tons of miles. I did search out a gen 2 voodoo for the upgrades.

For a weekend car I prefer the gt350.

Yes things could break but I have incurable bone marrow cancer and just spent week in hospital with covid pneumonia. Tomorrow isn't promised. Buy what you enjoy

That being said as a daily a mach would be an incredible car.. I would rock one for sure. Even as a weekend car... tons of fun. Can only imagine how much fun the mach is vs my old pp1 car.

Life is short. Buy what you enjoy ...not just for a warranty. Otherwise we all be rocking Hyundai with 100k warranty lol
I'm not trying to make light of your situation, but the #YOLO argument is exactly why people should try to make responsible decisions, heh. We don't have any re-dos in life...

But overall, I would agree. If it's a weekend car that you're buying purely for fun and relatively minimal mileage, why not buy a GT350 if they're about the same price and you truly enjoy it more? Though again, I'm not sure it'll be THAT much more enjoyable, that's something you have to decide for yourself (as well as the value of reliability).

Hoose71

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
84, 13, 13, 21, 22 Mustangs, 72 Nova Rally
Something I'm surprised wasn't brought up (or I missed it), I've heard the Voodoo engine isn't fan of being boosted. So any future plans for a super charger? I don't know this to be fact, but I've seen it brought up enough that I would do some research if I was looking at the GT350. Maybe just due to earlier part defects?

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something I'm surprised wasn't brought up (or I missed it), I've heard the Voodoo engine isn't fan of being boosted. So any future plans for a super charger? I don't know this to be fact, but I've seen it brought up enough that I would do some research if I was looking at the GT350. Maybe just due to earlier part defects?
from the numbers it looks like it responds really well to boost. either whipple or twins they make big numbers. the risk is probably the same as the coyote but the downside is if it goes, you empty the bank account repairing it.
Sponsored