Sponsored

Mach 1 or GT350…

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
With carplay or Android auto im not sure why anyone would pay for 3rd rate nav.
With the computers we carry around as phones and the GPS capabilities, I don't want the shark fin or the egg on top of my car. I'm glad I didn't get a "tech" package because other than the screen size (which can be improved myself) I have no need for factory GPS systems, my phone is infinitely better and constantly updated without the hassle of software updates or the look of that stupid fin.

On my other car I don't care.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
I disagree, the nav in the car is great. Combined with voice recognition, detailed lane guidance, countdown to turn etc. I love it. And I was using Sygic in phone until now which is pretty great.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
I disagree, the nav in the car is great. Combined with voice recognition, detailed lane guidance, countdown to turn etc. I love it. And I was using Sygic in phone until now which is pretty great.
The only reason I ordered it was to have a built in backup when cell towers are not available.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
This is how I keep my cell phone bill $23 a month. I don't pay for unlimited data which GPS uses a ton of. Nav is kind of pointless if you have unlimited data but the GPS can come in handy in dead spots.

Sponsored

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
This is how I keep my cell phone bill $23 a month. I don't pay for unlimited data which GPS uses a ton of. Nav is kind of pointless if you have unlimited data but the GPS can come in handy in dead spots.
There are apps that store local maps if you prefer. Not sure about carplay compatibility though. Even google maps can cache maps offline before a trip. Its just not as obvious.

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I'll go back to the OP first post.
I currently have a Mach 1 and my neighbor had a 2017 GT350 in which I had several hundred miles both street and track.
it's like any other decision, what is the application and use. Should I get a Porsche Turbo S or a Ford F-250 Super Duty?
1) If you are a track rat and run significantly more than a half dozen track events per year, it's a no brainer. Get the GT350.
2) Daily driver to and from work? No competition, get the Mach 1. More refined, more civil and the extra bottom-end torque is really nice around town.
3) Mostly garage queen and weekend warrior then it might be a bit of a toss up. Each has their pluses and minuses outlined all over this forum.

I wasn't all that fond of the GT350 on the street for to and from store or to work type driving, it was okay, motor is tractable enough at low rpm but it really needs rpm. On-track was another story, super high grip, really neutral and easy to handle and of course the motor. The interior is fine but the heart of the beast is the motor and trans.
I think the Mach 1 is a better all-around car, but at the cost of some track and straight-line performance. For me the sound of the Voodoo was not that "riveting" on the street and a good cross-plane motor sounds nearly as good to me.
Some things to think about but it's sort of a good problem to have.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I don't pay for unlimited data which GPS uses a ton of.
GPS alone does not use much of a data. Most people have GPS turned on all the time. What uses the data is downloading the maps and traffic updates. I tried once to measure the data traffic when driving more than 1000 km (in approx 11 hours) over three countries (so the data needed to be downloaded as I went forward), and it seemed that Google maps needed ~80MB of data for that.

bozack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM
About 2 years ago I was looking to buy a used 2017-18 M2 or GT350 for about $40K and there we're plenty to find. I ended up buying the M2, which was an amazing car, but I just sold it and started looking at GT350s again. But now the same 2017's are going for $55k-60k and no way I'm paying that for a 5 year old car that will most likely be back to $37k-40k next year.

I then discovered the Mach 1 and placed an order for a fully loaded 2022 (FJG, HP, Recardo, etc) for $58K last month and should hopefully have it in March/April. It just seems like a better buy, more reliable and useable on the street, not to mention the newer instrument cluster and other bits.

Having said that, I still want a GT350 at some point when prices come back down. There's just something about the "Shelby" name. If a nice 2017 we're to pop up for $50K, I'd probably cancel my Mach 1 and take the GT350.
This was pretty much my rationale as well, I looked at used GT350 prices and they seem to the moon, the Mach 1 if you can get it without ADM is cheaper new.

I still toy with the idea of just going for a used Cayman GTS and will most likely go down that path if my order falls through, but the GT350 while nice is expensive used.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I would have agreed with everything you just wrote, prior to covid. Post-Covid supply and inflation issues, the "value" of the Mach1 is reduced.

The entire point (prior to covid) of a car like the Mach1 would have been to get 95% of the same car (with some admitted gaps, but also some improvements) for $10k less than the cost of the Shelby.

Prior to Covid, the SAME discussions and debates were true of the non-R vs the R. Is the incremental improvement worth the additional cost.

Prior to covid, the value of a GT500 was pretty solid. Now if it takes close to 6 digits to buy one, the amount of benefit you get from the car compared to the cost of it are diminished.

If you can get a Mach1 at MSRP or lower (including the HP) it's probably still a better value. I'm just not sure that's the case.
In fact you can get a brand new Mach 1 for 6-8% less than MSRP via Granger Ford and Chapman Ford here on this very forum :wink: ... But also, I'm pretty certain that the pandemic has blown up prices of the GT350 just as much as (if not more than) the Mach 1.

Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some simple factors that I used in my acid test:
- Use case 100% track - 350, 100% street M1, 35 percent or less track - M1).
- Engine reliability M1.
- Long term value if you care for the car and use it less, 350.
- Seats and HP if getting the recaros and the HP in the M1, look harder at the 350. Not that this is a slam dunk but may tilt the decision.
- You, you wife and esp. family riding with you? Once you cross into multiple people, tilt toward M1.
- Drivers. You - toss up, you and others tilt toward M1.
- Display. A factor. Do you like the digital, does it drive you nuts?

Have fun. For me it was an easy decision.
I forgot to consider resale value. Yeah, if you want a collectible toy, the GT350 is far more likely to hold its value if you don't drive it much (although the Mach 1 might not be TOO far behind -- as someone brought up there is likely to be fewer of them, and may well be the Coyote's swan song... we'll see what the S650 brings).

Given current circumstances, and only a two year run, I believe that the total number of Mach 1s will be far fewer than GT350s...

What irks me about the higher-end Mustangs is the lack of options choices on them. Why is it that a person has interior color options on a GT, and not the top tier cars? "Oh, you want a Shelby or Mach 1? Well, your interior color choices are black and black." Granted, there's always the aftermarket, but why the dearth of OEM choices? Look at the order guides, page upon page of options for an EB or GT, but like it or lump it on the top dogs (OK, horses).

Since someone brought it up, make the digital cluster a stand-alone option. A while ago I looked at a GT500 in a showroom just to see if the Recaros would fit me (no deal), and I honestly didn't care for the video game cluster. While it wouldn't keep me from purchasing a car, it would be nice not to be forced into it. Apparently I'm too much of a dinosaur to move beyond classic, easily read analog gauges.

Rant over.
I think this discussion comes up every other day on every high volume car forum, but the answer is always the same. The problem is streamed manufacturing processes...

Part of how Ford (and their competitors) are able to make such amazing performance cars for the price is because they optimize their manufacturing processes as much as possible, which includes having very few branching paths (i.e. few options, especially on low-volume trims). If you want to be able to check a separate box for every possible option, you can always buy a Porsche... and end up spending about $150K for the lowest trim 911.

I don't think I explained that with the most appropriate terminology, but hopefully you understand what I'm getting at.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
GPS alone does not use much of a data. Most people have GPS turned on all the time. What uses the data is downloading the maps and traffic updates. I tried once to measure the data traffic when driving more than 1000 km (in approx 11 hours) over three countries (so the data needed to be downloaded as I went forward), and it seemed that Google maps needed ~80MB of data for that.
Yeah, offline mode can come in handy but you lose traffic updates which sometimes is valuable depending on where you're going. It's good for in state trips.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I think this discussion comes up every other day on every high volume car forum, but the answer is always the same. The problem is streamed manufacturing processes...

Part of how Ford (and their competitors) are able to make such amazing performance cars for the price is because they optimize their manufacturing processes as much as possible, which includes having very few branching paths (i.e. few options, especially on low-volume trims). If you want to be able to check a separate box for every possible option, you can always buy a Porsche... and end up spending about $150K for the lowest trim 911.

I don't think I explained that with the most appropriate terminology, but hopefully you understand what I'm getting at.
Jeep has ala carte option ordering down to a science with the Wrangler, similar price range. Easy to get exactly what you want. Ford seems to get it with Bronco, but doesn't seem to care with Mustang.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep has ala carte option ordering down to a science with the Wrangler, similar price range. Easy to get exactly what you want. Ford seems to get it with Bronco, but doesn't seem to care with Mustang.
There's exceptions to every rule, and I could see a car like the Wrangler lending itself more easily to build changes than a sports car, but I won't claim to be an expert on the matter.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
The first time I saw a friends GT 350 up on a rack and saw all the counterweights underneath, that made me nervous. I'd go Mach 1. Maybe sacrilege, but not a VooDoo fan.
Sponsored