Sponsored

Mach 1 Non HP, detailed track day report. Willow Springs, Big Willow , "Fastest Road in the west". Non HP a viable track car?

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
If you don't know Willow Springs please look up a track diagram, it will help you understand the different turn I'm talking about. It has a great history and is demanding on car and driver alike. It is a very fast course, "Fastest Road in the West. We ran in the typical CW direction. I will work on retrieving my dash cam vids of one of the runs, sorry fellas no sound, I don't like the idea of the dash cam listening to my cursing, conversations, family interactions, ect. on the daily.

Firstly, I'm not a highly experienced track driver, not a track rat by any measure. I have had only about 5 sessions at Willow in 3 different cars, a 2004 G35, 2014 Mustang GT, and now the Mach 1. I paid for one day of professional instruction back in the G35 days, it was the best money I ever spent on a car. Back in 2012 or 2013 I placed 3rd in the Nissan competition held there by Extreme Speed Track Events, and sponsored by Corner 3 garage. My best time in the M1 was 1:40, and was pretty consistent, use this to judge just how much of a grain of salt you want to take my review with. For a snap shots of speed on some turns here they are:
130 MPH going into tun 1.
low to mid 80s turn 2.
carrying 112+ into turn 8.

I know I'm leaving lots of time on the table, and the car provides so much power there were many points, where I didn't rev it out fully or go on to 100% throttle.

Conditions for the day were very cold, it was 22F when I rolled through the gate at track entrance. First session it was probably high 40s. I was concerned about the temps as I had never driven in that cold of conditions and the tires are rated for 45F and up. It never exceeded middle 50s ambient the entire day.

My car is completely stock with 2000 miles. I set tire pressure to 32psi, the supplement manual calls for 30psi. I did not get the car track aligned as the manual calls for. I ran with stock factory alignment, we can only assume it was in spec from factory, it was not measured. The car tracks true and straight and tire wear appears normal. All sessions were conducted in "Track Mode" with Rev Match on. I took it easy on the first session to warm up my skills and the car, it was super fun right out of the gate. Totally made my 2 hour drive and 5am wake up worth it.

Immediate first impressions are how neutral the car is, it is honest. It never lulled me into a false sense of security where I found myself in trouble. When I did get squirrly or improper it was me doing it on purpose or because I was not handling the car correctly. The next thing is the spring rates are really good, so much improved from the S197, and better than the PP cars I drove, I think its the springs and magneride combined. There was never a point where the ass end felt like it was doing its own thing relative to the rest of the car. This is really good as it inspires confidence and allows you to push, and throttle steer on some corners. It might also be the aero enhancements too, key takeaway this Mustang feels much more like you are in it, rather than riding on top of it. There was no excessive vertical motion or rear axle jumping around and body roll is totally acceptable. This track has 2 large elevation changes, so if there were probems in this regard Big Willow will show it. Even with the PS4s, the car is well under control, this is not mess and slide fest. The brakes never faded and always stopped me with confidence. I never activated ABS, something that would routinely happen on track or in the canyons with the S197s Brembo Car. Again, its another performance point where the Mach 1 offers more performance than I my courage will allow me to take advantage of at Big Willow. It performed well all around, I couldn't pin point a particular deficiency.

Thankfully in track mode the traction control is not intrusive. I notice when you go to track mode the traction control light is illuminated. From the manual " traction control intervention is reduced and tuned specifically for track usage only." I'm not a guy who like going sideways all that much, and because of some errors I found myself slipping heavily and sliding around turn 5, I was able to maintain, not fishtail, and save myself from an embarrassing spin out. My front end was hugging the inner rumble strip and ass slipping out wide behind me. The traction control did not feel like it was doing anything at that moment and I was thinking "good they actually let you get silly if you want".

The power of this engine is really something, it loves a course like this. You get to carry a lot of speed and if you are brave wind it out fully in many places on track. 3rd and 4th gears get quite a workout at Big Willow. So many times I was enjoying the sound and seeing the revs build, the coyote is a masterpiece, it has been great in every generation, and this version really is king. The engine just signing around corners and down the long straights. We have wonderful torque and it likes to rev, what more could you ask for? The cylinder head temp never exceeded 200F! Oil pressures were consistent, and the rear diff temp only reached 210F. It is really nice to be on track and not have to worry about cooling, all the M1 goodies are doing there job. I checked the oil before each session and it did not burn any, since owning the car I have topped it off with about 1/2 to 3/4s QT of oil in about 2000 miles.

At first I was always suspicious that the different gauge appearances modes, were more gimmicky than practical. I was one who pined for traditional analog gauges, but I was WRONG. The horizontal tach in track mode is pretty nifty and legible for a very quick read, Ford got this right. Digital dash is not perfect however, I don't like the fact that tire PSI is under a different menu than the gauges. I wish they were in same menu for me to just scroll down a page that way I could see gauges, then tires by scrolling pages in the same menu instead of going to a completely different menu. Some track mode specific tuning to rearrange these pages and allow for less button clicking is welcome FRP. I also miss the "Fuel used" reading from the S197, this measure was always very accurate, I wish that was present in our trip and MPG menu. On the subject of MPG the car was getting 8 MPG indicated on track.

The car comes with track apps, so you can time your laps. The timer is only as good as how accurately you press the button as you pass the start finish line, so its not scientifically precise but it is nice to give you a relative number. It does display the time delta in red or green text which is nice. The problem though is if you are using the lap timer, you can't view gauges or tire PSIs. The timer dominates the display. I wish this could be improved a bit, like making the time text smaller or even allow it to run in the background, still rsponding to your button presses to time while viewing gauges or PSI. If you are using lap timer you are committed to it essentially.

Now the big question everyone is waiting for, can the Non HP car be a good track day car....? Yes it can, the PS4s are great tires, and the car doesn't overwhelm them in the majority of conditions. They provide ample grip, though more would always be welcome and I guess that is where HP comes in. For me this car is near perfect, it has more capabilities than my courage will allow on track so I can still "grow" into it a bit. I'm not thrashing the tires and driving it on its very limits, it is poised and more capable than I. The key here though is the same calculus involved with the "Should I just get a GT350 instead...?"comes into play with the HP or non HP decision...

Should you get an HP equipped car? Well that depends on how you much track. For me I'm more of a casual track guy 2-4 times a year so the Non HP is just fine, in the meantime I will improve my technique rather than focusing on "upgrading" the car. If you are tracking more than 4-6 times a year, I think then it is time to look at HP, if you are more skilled than I at the track, then perhaps HP will suite you more. Specifically for a guy who is already driving the car near its limits and can effectively use more traction than HP will be welcome, but I'm not there yet.

If you do go tracking, keep an eye on those tire pressures, I was adding 8psi in heat to them during sessions, keep in mind the ambient was only 50F or so! Go with Ford's recommendation and start at 30psi, keep an eye on those pressures they will rise through the day. Other PS4 users said the same, these tires heat up a lot and PSIs rise. Also for track newbies your tires will be super noisy after track day, this noise will dissipate as they wear back even on your drive home, it takes more than a few miles and this is totally normal for all cars.

Non HP M1 is as fun as advertised, a competent steed for a few track days a year.

I have always said I felt like I could be faster in Camaro SS compared to a Mustang GT PP, but I don't feel that way with the M1. The Mach displays better chassis control and suspension poise than previous GT iterations.

As the old saying goes, "its the most fun you can have with your pants on!"

20211211_122802.jpg
20211211_151116.jpg
20211211_153156.jpg

20211212_145458.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Knockdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Nice review! I havenā€™t got mine out on a track yet, but I have the same wish about the gauges and TPMS data.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Great writeup. Just a few points and comments on my side
1) looking at your tires pic, the outer wear is at the side marks (those horizontal j's). More negative camber would definitely be beneficial as you would ride on the sides less
2) comments on digital dash are spot on. Don't know why ford made it so difficult to get to tire pressures. I ended up switching to obd Bluetooth device and my phone, mounted on dash. I get access to more metrics and the phone is higher up, so it's easier to check, no need for clicking distractions either. Here's sample dashboard that I used:
Screenshot_20211212-192923.jpg

3) temps and cooling - with 50F ambient and stock car, you wouldn't have any cooling issues with a PP GT either. My GT is supercharged, and I drove it on a similar track (very fast layout with lots of elevation change), the temps were around 50F as well and my CHT's were hovering under 210F on straight and dropping under 200F at slower sections. I wasn't pushing the car anywhere close to it's limits and was short shifting most of the times, but with a supercharger it was ok for my skills, it has so much torque across the range that I could shift at 6k rpm and still overtake most of other cars. I'm sure that with NA engine, M1 added cooling will really shine when you track it in hot ambient temps. I however, would need to invest a lot of effort in cooling next year though :giggle:.

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
Thanks for the great review. Having done the Mach 1 Track Attack in early November, I completely agree with your assessment of the car's dynamics and of the 4S tires. (My Track Attack experience amplified my personal experience with the 4S to that point -- all good!) I also learned from HPDE experiences to mark the tires to see check between runs if the pressure was right. (In Track Attack, they already have them set for what works given the expected conditions.) And that tire noise as you head home after a track day? That's the tire shedding the rubber you melted off the tread. If you're not expecting it, it can be disconcerting.

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
And my thoughts are for the serious track goer, the non HP car is the right choice.

Iā€™ll run a spare trunk with a 9lives wing, fab my own functional front splitter, and swap coils for the bmr gt350 coils with vorshlag plates.

set of square 19x11 with your favorite 200tw tire and Iā€™ll bet you have the performance edge on an HP car for nearly equal investment.

Sponsored

RobZ71LM7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 F-150
For a serious track car you wouldn't keep the stock wheels and tires anyways due to weight let alone the ability to find a more optimized or square setup. From there it's just the rear spoiler, front splitter and rear sway bar. If the magneride tuning is different it's likely you'd have an aftermarket controller anyways or aftermarket dampers. As far as caster camber plates-a set from Vorshlag is nicer.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
Thanks for posting...I did Track Attack in an AT. I have not taken mine on a track but nice to read a good report from a track day by someone with a non-HP Mach 1.

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Very nice write-up. I'm glad you posted the Friction Circle (maximum g in all directions). The 4S tires are great street and decent Track tire when it's cool and not driven super hard.

Back to the Friction Circle, I wish more would post that as it's very telling. Your assessment of your own capabilities is right on and very accurate. Thanks for sharing. It's also very humbling.

Willow Springs seems to be a place where time stopped, that's why it was an easy choice for filming a few scenes in Ford vs Ferrari. Fun place.

Geofft21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach1 M2467
1) looking at your tires pic, the outer wear is at the side marks (those horizontal j's). More negative camber would definitely be beneficial as you would ride on the sides less
2) comments on digital dash are spot on. Don't know why ford made it so difficult to get to tire pressures. I ended up switching to obd Bluetooth device and my phone, mounted on dash. I get access to more metrics and the phone is higher up, so it's easier to check, no need for clicking distractions either. Here's sample dashboard that I used:

3) temps and cooling - with 50F ambient and stock car, you wouldn't have any cooling issues with a PP GT either. My GT is supercharged, and I drove it on a similar track (very fast layout with lots of elevation change), the temps were around 50F as well and my CHT's were hovering under 210F on straight and dropping under 200F at slower sections. I wasn't pushing the car anywhere close to it's limits and was short shifting most of the times, but with a supercharger it was ok for my skills, it has so much torque across the range that I could shift at 6k rpm and still overtake most of other cars. I'm sure that with NA engine, M1 added cooling will really shine when you track it in hot ambient temps. I however, would need to invest a lot of effort in cooling next year though :giggle:.
What OBD are you using, can you call up oil pressure/temp as the export cars don't have the physical or electronic gauge!

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
What OBD are you using, can you call up oil pressure/temp as the export cars don't have the physical or electronic gauge!
I have a PP car with physical oil pressure gauge so I didn't need a pressure gauge. and I don't think I could figure out how to get oil temp so far, but CHT gives you a good idea on what is happening with oil. I use that as a baseline. You can check out few apps and play with them. I found OBDLink to be most convenient, followed by Car Scanner ELM. I have android and both are free. Here's a link on obd device that has been working great for me so far: https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-Blue...h&qid=1639519582&sprefix=obd2+,aps,181&sr=8-4

Not to mention that you'd be able to read/reset check engine codes, do data logging, overlay your track videos with car data using apps like TrackAddict and etc. I probably use 20% of the overall functionality.

Sponsored
OP
OP

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)

I like that, all relevant data available at a glance, thanks for posting this.

You are right, even the track supplemental manual calls for additional negative camber for the track alignment.

Agreed, with ambient 50F temps the cooling systems would not be stressed, virtually no car should have cooling issues at those temps. I know guys will come out here during the middle summer when temps can get over 100F, no thanks!

OP
OP

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Very nice write-up. I'm glad you posted the Friction Circle (maximum g in all directions). The 4S tires are great street and decent Track tire when it's cool and not driven super hard.

Back to the Friction Circle, I wish more would post that as it's very telling. Your assessment of your own capabilities is right on and very accurate. Thanks for sharing. It's also very humbling.

Willow Springs seems to be a place where time stopped, that's why it was an easy choice for filming a few scenes in Ford vs Ferrari. Fun place.
WCRookie I think you are exactly right here, as I got later into the sessions and the PSIs creeped up, the tires didn't feel as good, it felt like it didn't have the grip as when cold or at lower PSIs.

I saw your thread to post the friction circles, that is a great idea, I will add mine.

Willow Springs is just amazing, you are right, it does feel like going back in time. I too was happy to see it in Ford V Ferrari. Its fast and pretty intimidating, but outrageously fun.

With your resume I know I could learn a lot from a drive with you.

Have you ever driven at Autobahn Country Club in Joliet? A youtube car reviewer I like uses that as his test track. Looks close to you.

Also the 997 are my favorite 911s. To me its the best blend of aesthetics and performance. 997.2 S with the X51 pkg, would be my pick! I have found myself looking up listings more than a few times past couple of years....

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I like that, all relevant data available at a glance, thanks for posting this.
NP, I had bunch more sensors on display initially but then it becomes too busy and you'd need to move your eyes off the road/track for too long. So, I kept only what I care about the most.

There's even a temperature of the heated steering wheel metric, if you're curious šŸ˜„
Sponsored