Mach 1 is Better than GT350 ...

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
Guess then I should be terribly disappointed that I regularly get offers for my 2019 GT350 (upgraded to 550 hp with no state inspection impact) Kona Blue/White stripes for at least $20,000 over what I paid for the car. I have no interest in selling the car, it's way too much fun, even next to my Corvette C7 Z06 w/710 hp. Obviously no one would offer me the similar deal if I had a Mach 1.
Had a whole bunch of 1969/70 Mach 1's so I have nothing against that model range.
Give it time. The Mach 1 had a relative quiet launch due to the pandemic. On top of that, the plant shutdowns and part shortages do not hell a product launch. I have yet see another Mach 1 HP in my area, and yet I've seen a handful of GT350/Rs in the past several months. But some people just want the "Shelby" name too, and it is what it is (it's the Apple products syndrome).

It is weird that Ford (for some unknown reason) didn't allow a lot of reviewers of the M1 HP track the cars. And yet one that did got better lap times than a GT350RšŸæ.
Sponsored

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
I've said this before but I came from owning a Porsche where there was an IMS bearing concern hyped to hilt on line. Yes, there was some failures but the vast majority of those cars were/are still fine, and I drove mine for years with spirt and sold it just as problem free as when I bought it. I have a so called "gen 2" motor in my GT350 but I think compared to many other exotic cars the Voodoos are doing well, at least as well as many of the exotics, the ones the buyers know carry at least some 'risk' . There are many that will be fear mongering, or perhaps even buying something they can't afford in the first place so the fear of a failure strikes terror, and I am not critical of that, been there done that. But to use the fact a Coyote may be more reliable motor so to accept a more mass produced engine as equal or greater, and dismiss the masterful handmade, flat plane motors high RPM thrill band ad sounds means a different interruption of what is art then my own. No hate here but the driving experience won't be the same to me no matter how close it can get on paper. I wanted to like it, I just left the dealer feeling either keep my GT350 or go GT500. However, I do love the Mach and no hate to those that prefer it

Last edited:

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
I've said this before but I came from owning a Porsche where there was an IMS bearing concern hyped to hilt on line. Yes, there was some failures but the vast majority of those cars were/are still fine, and I drove mine for years with spirt and sold it just as problem free as when I bought it. I have a so called "gen 2" motor in my GT350 but I think compared to many other exotic cars the Voodoos are doing well, at least as well as many of the exotics, the ones the buyers know carry at least some 'risk' . There are many that will be fear mongering, or perhaps even buying something they can't afford in the first place so the fear of a failure strikes terror, and I am not critical of that, been there done that. But to use the fact a Coyote may be more reliable motor so to accept a more mass produced engine as equal or greater, and dismiss the masterful handmade, flat plane motors high RPM thrill band ad sounds means a different interruption of what is art then my own. No hate here but the driving experience won't be the same to me no matter how close it can get on paper. I wanted to like it, I just left the dealer feeling either keep my GT350 or go GT500. However, I do love the Mach and no hate to those that prefer it
GT350 and Mach 1 do feel quite different (6spd vs 6spd), most people who comment on the Shelby have never even driven the thing. They are both Mustangs but feel so different and are made for different purposes. Yes you can daily drive and track both, but the tradeoffs do exist.

Like you I'm glad both exist, if I tracked more I would have gotten the Shelby with the "Gen 2" engine.

Everyone asks the question all the time "which is better?" Well the answer is better FOR what? WHAT is YOUR purpose? What will YOU mostly use it for.

Your car is beautiful Andy, which blue is it? I really like the Shelby lettering on the front.

Last edited:

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Thatā€™s a pretty dumb threadā€¦
ā€œBetterā€ at what ???
What is the what ?
Is a Jeep better than a Ferrari?
Well, for rock crawling we would all say the Jeep
Saying than a coyote is better than a voodoo, save maybe for longevity and gas mileage is also dumb
No Sir, I prefer the lower revving, less powerful engineā€¦. Seriously? Whatā€™s wrong with you? šŸ˜•

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Thatā€™s a pretty dumb threadā€¦
ā€œBetterā€ at what ???
What is the what ?
Is a Jeep better than a Ferrari?
Well, for rock crawling we would all say the Jeep
Saying than a coyote is better than a voodoo, save maybe for longevity and gas mileage is also dumb
No Sir, I prefer the lower revving, less powerful engineā€¦. Seriously? Whatā€™s wrong with you? šŸ˜•
What is the what?

Sponsored

JPJr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
OK, here's another take.
I don't like manuals. Take my man card, car guy card, etc.
Had a few over the years, prefer the simple two pedal approach.
Can't get a 350 with an auto.
M1 wins. :wink:

I only wish the M1 had some wider fenders rather than the wheel lip extensions.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
OK, here's another take.
I don't like manuals. Take my man card, car guy card, etc.
Had a few over the years, prefer the simple two pedal approach.
Can't get a 350 with an auto.
M1 wins. :wink:

I only wish the M1 had some wider fenders rather than the wheel lip extensions.

1672867664240.png

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
[/QUOTE]
Hi - Yes, at times itā€™s a bit like a broken record but thatā€™s part of what a forum offer - input from various perspectives. We can always stop reading a particular thread if we get tired of it by optioning out or just ignoring it. The only thing that bothers me is when the insults start flying, but that happens in many phases of our livesā€¦. Bruce
That only happens in the GT500 forum. šŸ˜
The GT350, Mach 1 and Bullitt folks are all cool.

Sponsored

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Highlander DD, 2019 GT350
Having this problem deciding. Both M1 with HP near me the dealers are asking 5k over at almost 70k. This is swaying me towards the 350.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Having this problem deciding. Both M1 with HP near me the dealers are asking 5k over at almost 70k. This is swaying me towards the 350.
Just make sure you drive them both before committing one way or another. Theyā€™re very different in some respects. For me the biggest difference was the noticeable power advantage of the Mach below 4000 rpm. Since I donā€™t track it, this was a big deal.

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Highlander DD, 2019 GT350
Just make sure you drive them both before committing one way or another. Theyā€™re very different in some respects. For me the biggest difference was the noticeable power advantage of the Mach below 4000 rpm. Since I donā€™t track it, this was a big deal.
Tnanks. I read your comments deep in this thread about that. And have read this as well in my research. This is a issue for me as well. I also am nervous in buying a used performance vehicle. Never know how someone treated it before you. Sucks the dealers are playing their markup games on the M1s.

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
Tnanks. I read your comments deep in this thread about that. And have read this as well in my research. This is a issue for me as well. I also am nervous in buying a used performance vehicle. Never know how someone treated it before you. Sucks the dealers are playing their markup games on the M1s.
They are playing mark up games on everything. Bronco, Super Duty Pickups, etc etc. And not just Fords.

PartyPatJDM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
We get so many mustangs at our shop that I've seen multiple versions of each including things like the Hennessey gt850, 350R, mach1, etc. I have to say I always fall back to the 350. Its just a pure racecar. I think power wise the 350 is perfect for the track and it was built track focused. The Mach 1 is just a collectors 5.0. 350 all day.

IMG_9989.jpg
Sponsored