Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Obviously you would know since you have owned both but on the other hand.. For example just picked up a 1999 Corvette. Is it superior to the c5 zo6 a base C6 for a little bit more? No not even close and no one thinks it is but I liked specific things better so to me it is better. And I can break it for cheap, which I will. That being said I 100% agree with you from an outsiders (don't have a mustang anymore) perspective.
Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
All depends on what you want. If you are shooting for a daily, M1 is probably better. Want something special, GT350 is better. The M1 still has the GT front knuckle, something that is a huge game changer on the S550 platform for the GT350. The amount of grip in the front of the GT350 is something special. The M1 doesn't have that. The M1 HP does come with camber plates, which is huge when tracking the car, and the benefit of the 5.0 is so much more R&D gets done on that engine on a daily basis than the 5.2.

Hell, the GT500 stole the same knuckle with some minor modifications, and the shear heft of the GT500 is just too much for the front end of the GT350 knuckle on the 500, and the turn in is not where near as sharp as the GT350, and the 500 front feels no where near as planted as the 350. I would say I am being subjective, but there has been more than a few people who have driven both, who said the exact same thing to me.

Again, all of this is subjective. I love the comparisons. At the end of the day, I love my 350, and would love an M1 just as much. I personally just wanted a track car, and the 350 was always Fords track car, even in the late 60's. The M1 should (in my mind) have always been a drag car.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I've been thinking a lot about this. All my cars have been daily drivers. To my mind (after all, this is pretty subjective,) the Mach 1 is better overall than the GT350:

--the GT350 was a lot of fun with the sound of that Voodoo engine, and I loved having "Shelby" on my car, but ... while both are fantastic track cars, the Mach 1 is arguably better, having more and newer technology (such as the subframe from the GT500.)

--the Voodoo engine was high in horsepower, but the Coyote has better low-end torque.

--the Mach 1 look and profile is even nicer than GT350's. (Remember, subjective!)

--the "Mach 1" badges are larger and more visible than those tiny "GT350" rectangles.

--it's been, like, eighteen years since the last Mach 1 was produced, so it feels at least as rare as a Shelby Mustang.
The Mach 1 look and profile? Cosmetically, It’s a GT with wheels and stickers plus a front/rear fascia change. Maybe I’m missing something. Clickbait……
Fuse- meet dumpster fire.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
the M1 is the pinnacle of Ford 5 liter performance to date. the best Coyote S550 built. if you say it is just stickers and fascia you dont know squat about Mustangs. sorry.

it is not a one of kind, universally hailed, Voodoo engine that revs past 8k in an intoxicating manner.

no professional carguy likes the M1 better than a 350. in the end many can not get past the fact that is just a Coyote based S550. that is fine. later.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
the M1 is the pinnacle of Ford 5 liter performance to date. the best Coyote S550 built. if you say it is just stickers and fascia you dont know squat about Mustangs. sorry.

it is not a one of kind, universally hailed, Voodoo engine that revs past 8k in an intoxicating manner.

no professional carguy likes the M1 better than a 350. in the end many can not get past the fact that is just a Coyote based S550. that is fine. later.
Funny part is the Coyote has no problem revving to 8k rpm either with the right tune. That's one of my gripes is our redline is so short on the Mach 1 to really take advantage of the GT350 intake. Rev that sucker to 7800.

dtheo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Buyer
I've been thinking a lot about this. All my cars have been daily drivers. To my mind (after all, this is pretty subjective,) the Mach 1 is better overall than the GT350:

--the GT350 was a lot of fun with the sound of that Voodoo engine, and I loved having "Shelby" on my car, but ... while both are fantastic track cars, the Mach 1 is arguably better, having more and newer technology (such as the subframe from the GT500.) Really, the subframe is so awesome that it makes it better? Who cares about subframe when the track numbers prove otherwise.

--the Voodoo engine was high in horsepower, but the Coyote has better low-end torque. Voodoo engine is one of the best unique one-off engines Ford has ever built, can't say that about the coyote. Looking back in time, the coyote will be looked over but the Voodoo will be memorialized.

--the Mach 1 look and profile is even nicer than GT350's. (Remember, subjective!) Subjective!

--the "Mach 1" badges are larger and more visible than those tiny "GT350" rectangles. Badges? You serious? Larger badges means better car? lol.......

--it's been, like, eighteen years since the last Mach 1 was produced, so it feels at least as rare as a Shelby Mustang. I would agree, I think the Mach1 could be rare as the Shelby GT350, BUT, since it has the same engine as the regular GT, or very close, you can't really say its much better. Aside from a few visual changes, its similar to a Roush or Saleen.
As for the track, the reviews, the reviews state the R is hands down one of the best, if not the best track car as a mustang, that can't and won't ever be said about the Mach1.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
As for the track, the reviews, the reviews state the R is hands down one of the best, if not the best track car as a mustang, that can't and won't ever be said about the Mach1.
Interesting because a professional driver behind the wheel of both cars, they're both real close from what I've seen. Dismissing the Coyote engine isn't wise as it's one of the best V8's created in our lifetime considering you're almost seeing 100 hp per liter which is crazy. Sure the Voodoo is unique but the thing is an unreliable nightmare with all its vibrations. It's more of an engineering marvel than it is a long term track weapon. The newer 19 and 20's seem to do a lot better than anything prior with the gen 2's.

I'd be curious to see how much of a gap there is between both with bolt ons, tunes, and E85. I'd be willing to bet you would be shocked since a Coyote can rev just as high as a Voodoo with a proper tune.

Last edited:

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
You are looking at this from a logical point of view, where its more emotional. The GT350 looks more special, sounds more special, gives the owner a sense they have something that not not normal. The biggest drawback with the MACH 1 is that its the same engine that comes in the commonly found GT. I also actually think the MACH 1 is a uglier car where the GT350 looks amazing.

I just you just don`t understand the appeal.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I hate trying to compare our cars, its like arguing with my brother! lol.....
Yeah seriously who the F cares which is better (its subjective mostly). I love them both, but I went for the Mach 1 because I wanted a NEW car! I love the Mach 1 looks and the name so win win.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
It depends on what you want from a car. To some a automatic EcoBoost is better than a GT350.

As a trackable Daily? Yeah I'd call the Mach1 better as it's a more reliable engine, with better low end for driving around town, and nearly as quick as a GT350 on track. As a strict track car? I'd say the GT350 is better.

Sound and looks are a personal thing, I think the GT350 is better in both also. But it depends on the person and what they want from a vehicle.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
About we bash on the electric toasters other than these amazing V8 power plants! :facepalm:

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
better isn't the word i'd use unless you're talking specific subjects.

1. looks? no.
2. speed? no.
3. handling? no idiea.
4. sound? no.
5. reliability? yes.

they're different animals imo. comparing them is like comparing a 350 to the 500. purpose built to different ends.
Speed is questionable - remember the M1 did better than the 350R at Lightning Lap

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
About we bash on the electric toasters other than these amazing V8 power plants! :facepalm:
The only toasters I've ever used were electric - what is the problem with toasters?
Sponsored