Mach 1 is Better than GT350 ...

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
i think what he means is just about anyone can appreciate a shelby but guys who understand the motivations and mechanics behind something fine honed for a specific task (like the track) will be found at that track.
That’s reasonable. I just found the “you’re not a real car guy if you don’t mod your car for track use” inference a little distasteful.

Would be tough to convince someone who has spent years doing a full restore of a ‘57 Chevy to take to car shows that he’s not a car guy.
Sponsored

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
That’s reasonable. I just found the “you’re not a real car guy if you don’t mod your car for track use” inference a little distasteful.

Would be tough to convince someone who has spent years doing a full restore of a ‘57 Chevy that he’s not a car guy.
welcome to the internet. eat some red meat and stop giving a shit what people think so much :)

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
welcome to the internet. eat some red meat and stop giving a shit what people think so much :)
Another distasteful inference. OK I’ll start with you. 😂

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
It's definitely better at being a little s-box and it's a decent commuter car. Don't take it to the track and think Toyobaru will give you any warranty coverage, though.

edit: I do love my little POS GR86. And actually everything I touch in that car has a higher quality feel than the inside of my Mustang. It would be a lot better with a NA flat 6 instead of a 4, though (if you could do that without making the car a few hundred pounds heavier).
I’ll let you keep that GR86… I’m awaiting my CTR.

Sponsored

Dreadomir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2022 Race Red Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premium
Okay, so pretty interesting thread we got here. I'm not inclined to pick sides as I have great admiration for both cars. Unfortunately, it's actually situational when the Mach 1 would be considered a better car. Two things that stood out here was reliability, handling, and brakes. When it comes to power, the 5.2L voodoo will win every time, and we all know this so I will not talk about that. The Mach 1 would definitely make a better daily due to reliability, but the revised 2019+ GT350 is also pretty reliable in comparison to the 2015 - 2018 cars. As for handling, well let's just say the GT350 brings more to the table. Although both are amazing handling cars, the GT350 is more precise and finely tuned in that regard. When it comes to braking, let's not forget that the Mach 1 has the same brake boost system from the Performance Pack 2, so both GT350 and Mach 1 are almost the same when it comes to stopping power. All in all, both cars are very similar in terms of overall performance. Here is some testing data done with a manual handling pack Mach 1 vs both unrevised and revised GT350s including the R. They even have some GT500 stuff in there for fun if someome is interested in that.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/ford-mustang-mach-1-shelby-gt350-gt500-test-data/

That being said, how different would things be with a 10R80 equipped Mach 1 vs the GT350? I would really like to see that, but in regards to this thread, both cars are very similar. The GT350 will still be the favorite due to the unique high revving 5.2L voodoo. The Mach 1 will go down as the pinnacle of 5.0L perfomance in the S550 generation. It's not a replacement, but a worthy successor to the GT350.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
Hmm I seem to remember reading in a lot of the reviews that the Mach brakes were actually surprisingly good... but it's been a while, I might be misremembering.

Either way they are both awesome cars. No offense to the GT500 guys but I'd take a Mach or a 350 over a 500, if for no other reason than because it's fun to shift the gears.

Weirdly, I've been to quite a few car shows this summer, and there are ALWAYS more GT500's there than GT350's. And I've only ever seen another Mach at one show.
I still have yet to see another twin on the road or anywhere for that matter. My Mach 1 is still the only one I've seen anywhere so far.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Drove one. They are a blast actually. Tons of fun. Like a super go kart. The mustang feels like a pig in comparison and the all around nimbleness is addicting. Super easy to drive manual trans -like two finger shifts nice. Unlike the mustang the build and paint quality was spot on. It doesn’t pull or sound like a mustang though.
That's one of the only areas Mustang wins -- horsepower.

The Toyota is a superior vehicle in many, many ways.

Sponsored

LikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
To me the 350 is closer to the Mach 1 then the 350 is to the 500.
1. Looks? An edge to the GT350 but they're practically the same thing.
2. Speed? Yes but the A10 Mach 1 is neck and neck.
3. Handling? A handling pack Mach 1 is better IMO. Otherwise GT350.
4. Sound? Subjective but the raspiness is not for everyone. Lots of harmonics. But for uniqueness it's obvious the GT350 is one of a kind.
5. Reliability? Mach 1
6. Track worthiness? A toss
Going to hurt a lot of feelings here and say that all of these cars minus the V6 are essentially the same. 99.9% of the public will just see them all as Mustangs. Enthusiasts and those who know their stuff would still also consider them all comparable. It's only the ones who spent a lot of money, sometimes upwards up to $100k for these vehicles that get super emotional about differences

With that being said, ironically I'd put the M1 closer to the GT500 than the GT350. Wait till people learn the voodoo is just a butchered coyote system, and that 8k rev on the Coyote is just a manufacturer limitation. That without the flat plane crank and required dampers and weights all over the car, I'd have been called a 5.2 coyote with a supercharger.

Nevertheless the M1 has the GT500 diffuser, GT500 wing with one-off paint, GT500 subframe, GT500 Toe links, GT500 rear axle cooler, GT500 tire spats, and then all the other stuff from the GT350. It took everything but the engine, Shelby title, and brakes.

Though I will say I understand the "GT + stickers" angle. I will say that Ford should have stamped out a new hood for this like the old M1 ram air hood or did a shaker hood.

1665078672844.png

In summary if the brakes were deemed equivalent to the GT350 I really don't see how the GT350 is a better track vehicle, or closer to the GT500 especially when it has an ongoing multimillion class action about it NOT being a track vehicle. As for city driving I think the consensus is that with the low end torque of the Coyote, it wins out. Really the only value to the GT350 is the nameplate and limited production of the voodoo. One can only deem it better in this viewpoint.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
That's one of the only areas Mustang wins -- horsepower.

The Toyota is a superior vehicle in many, many ways.
toyota is trash, no one cares about that soulless econo junk.

how is it superior? Reliability?Fine I’ll give you that it better be reliable cause it makes less torque than the mustang lug nuts.

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
Wait till people learn the voodoo is just a butchered coyote system, and that 8k rev on the Coyote is just a manufacturer limitation. That without the flat plane crank and required dampers and weights all over the car, I'd have been called a 5.2 coyote with a supercharger.
Great post.

Joe Mac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 350
Ok, I should edit my earlier post. It's not the whole front end that I felt is ugly it's the grill. Those two big circles should have a light in them.
Sponsored