Mach 1 is Better than GT350 ...

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
As much as we all hate to admit it, the GT350 and the Mach 1 are like two brothers who always bicker because they are so similar but yet a little different.

For you golfers out there, you know the old saying: a good golfer can kick your ass with his clubs, then play a round with your own clubs and kick your ass with those too. These two cars are two good sets of clubs.
Sponsored

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Hey, the thread was created to offer my subjective feelings about daily driving a GT350, and then a Mach 1. Others began opining as to which Mustang is best; and the sniping began.
Oh, you had no idea it would turn out to be a huge troll-fest? I call BS, but I have enjoyed all the "interesting" and impassioned comments. :cwl::crackup:

OP
OP
Rael

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I only wish I was as smart as you think I am. Thank you.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The brakes arenā€™t a factor In the Mach 1. For whatever reason they were tested equal to the GT350R brakes. How they did that I donā€™t know, but C&D verified it.
This is nefarious.

Most modern cars are traction limited, so bigger brakes isn't going to stop a car any faster, the car will either brake traction or activate the ABS system. Larger brakes simply make for better fade resistance and aid track times when conducting punishing braking on extended sessions.

For two cars that weigh the same/similar, it's impossible to argue that one has equivalent brakes as the other if the swept area is larger on one.

Now, I'll grant that in reality most people will never be able to take advantage of the additional benefits, but the GT350 has better brakes.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Whatever tickles your pickle my friend.
We are both Mustang guys, but I will blab, blabbity blab about any car and I do kinda like my new winter beater. No reason to get frosty, bud. :like:

Not really, it doesnt sound like a v8 muscle car, which is fine if thats what you want. but lets be honest here, the gap between the mach 1 and the gt350 in every single test, road test or otherwise is incredibly small, the mach 1 even beats the gt350 in some tests like the figure 8. People acting like the GT350 is somehow superior in every way because of the voodoo are full of it. Its a first gen engine, that already has extremely well documented reliability issues, i wouldnt touch one.

Hell i know the guy who did the software in the ECU for both the gt350 and the GT500, and even he said he wouldnt buy a 350 because of the voodoos issues
I think the GT350 is the best S550 Mustang, but I decided I didn't want to own mine out of warranty. I've regretted it ever since, but I can relate to people having concerns - especially the way internet communications emphasize the negative.

Hey, the thread was created to offer my subjective feelings about daily driving a GT350, and then a Mach 1. Others began opining as to which Mustang is best; and the sniping began.
I understand people get emotional about their cars. I'm super emotional about mine - both past and present. So much joy... and sometimes angst.

Sponsored

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
We are both Mustang guys, but I will blab, blabbity blab about any car and I do kinda like my new winter beater. No reason to get frosty, bud. :like:

I think the GT350 is the best S550 Mustang, but I decided I didn't want to own mine out of warranty. I've regretted it ever since, but I can relate to people having concerns - especially the way internet communications emphasize the negative.

I understand people get emotional about their cars. I'm super emotional about mine - both past and present. So much joy... and sometimes angst.
That is so true! We were traveling to Boone today and I passed a 2012 CO Boss on the Blue Ridge Pkwy and almost started crying. I miss it to this day.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
That is so true! We were traveling to Boone today and I passed a 2012 CO Boss on the Blue Ridge Pkwy and almost started crying. I miss it to this day.
I still miss all my mustangs. Wish I could have kept them all. Each was profoundly different configurations than the other. Iā€™d use that to justify it. :blush:

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve heard a GT350 and it just doesnā€™t do it for me like the flat plane engines from Italy. Looks wise itā€™s a nice upgrade from the GT, and it has some track cred. It is a great experiment and will always be a special car for what Ford attempted to do. Heck I have the rear spoiler from one. The Mach 1 is good old American muscle with a slight lope to the idle. All it should be. Itā€™s more of a GT taken to its pinnacle, with a front splitter that IMO is a bit overdone. Everything else about it is great.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I love my Mach 1, and I chose to buy it over a GT350 because I agree with you at a high level, but... most of the items on your list of reasons are kind of strange, OP.

You didn't even name what I think are clearly the most important and objective advantages of the Mach 1: reliability and cost.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
There still seem to be far fewer Machā€™s out there so far than GT350ā€™s. I have had the car for a year and in that time have seen exactly one just out driving around. Many more 350ā€™s. Have also attended about 6-7 car shows this summer, some really big ones, and I was the only Mach at all but one. Yesterday was at a show with about 300 cars and there were three GT500ā€™s and three GT350ā€™s, no Machā€™s except a 1973 and a 2004. So thereā€™s a little exclusivity still hanging on that will probably last till the S650ā€™s come out.

Sponsored

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
Rhymes with Mach Eā€¦

I agree, no need for in-family fights, BUT, I couldnā€™t resist noticing that the Mach 1 shares its name with the Mach E, while the Shelby GT350 shares its name with the stronger GT500.
Is this a real post? Can't help they stole the Mach name and stuck it on that POS. I think the Mach 1 became a Mach versus a Boss due to Ford having to do damage control on misappropriating the name. Early pics after the 2018 refresh showed a Boss 302 styled car in the backdrop that was probably the first version of the Mach 1.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was told at dealer today that the M1 tremec is better than the gt350 tremec. ??
I am way more conmfortable with the M1 engine as far as longevity .
The M1 TREMEC has no lift/shift and rev matching over the 350. Absolutely contributed to the win at LL per the driver that did it so he is not wrong.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If they had put the dual intake Gen 4 in the Mach 1 like I suspect was originally intended, this conversation would have been even more fun.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
If they had put the dual intake Gen 4 in the Mach 1 like I suspect was originally intended, this conversation would have been even more fun.
Couldashouldawouldaā€¦.

I could say the same thing about the Voodoo which would likely benefit the FPC moreso than the CPC.

Arenā€™t a lotta dudes using the GT350 intake?ā€¦ā€¦. I canā€™t remember many posts about GT350 owners putting M1 parts on our carsā€¦. But then again, Tis the season for the upside world.

How is the Tremec in the in the M1 better than the GT350 Tremec just cause you can stand on the gas during a shift? Interestingā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ Iā€™d like to see the clutch life of both trannies and durability before I agreed to that statement.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol...just saying it would have been an interesting discussion with the dual intake...that will instead be saved for the Dark Horse comparisons. That car will eclipse the GT350 and Mach without a doubt...same brakes as 350 so they can't hang onto that, more low torque and probably much more responsive on short distance...very close if not matched on HP-we need to see final numbers.

Sensitive on the 350 tremec a bit? Performance wise it is not even a discussion point...sorry they didn't give you that on the 350 stock...time moves on and the dealer didn't say anything that wasn't true.
Sponsored