Mach 1 Hitch for Tire Trailer

FLmanScott

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 1969 Mach 1
So, a little disappointed... I ordered the Draw-Tite hitch that was supposed to fit Mustangs with active exhaust. I could have sworn that I read "fits Mach 1, GT350, etc". It does not. I'd have to hack away at the underbody, possibly move coolers, and that ultimately I'd probably do more harm than good. I have seen some comments in order threads about maybe building custom hitches to go behind the bumper, but I don't think I've see this achieved. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm rather annoyed that there isn't an easy solution. I really wanted this car to be my "have my cake and eat it too" option. That meant being able to pull a small trailer, or use a hitch mounted bike rack.
Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
So, a little disappointed... I ordered the Draw-Tite hitch that was supposed to fit Mustangs with active exhaust. I could have sworn that I read "fits Mach 1, GT350, etc". It does not. I'd have to hack away at the underbody, possibly move coolers, and that ultimately I'd probably do more harm than good. I have seen some comments in order threads about maybe building custom hitches to go behind the bumper, but I don't think I've see this achieved. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm rather annoyed that there isn't an easy solution. I really wanted this car to be my "have my cake and eat it too" option. That meant being able to pull a small trailer, or use a hitch mounted bike rack.
https://shop.ford.com/build/f150/?gnav=header-trucks-bp#/chooseyourpath/

sorry mate, that's all I can say really.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
I have the Draw-Tite on my 2019 GT w/active exhaust and it fit perfectly. I'm guessing the differential cooler and such are what's in your way....
tempImage1FjdnO.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

RobZ71LM7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 F-150
That is disappointing because I was looking for options for a small hitch for an autocross tire trailer.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
That is disappointing because I was looking for options for a small hitch for an autocross tire trailer.
Alternatively, you can easily fit all the wheels inside - but it not as convenient as towing tire trailer.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Alternatively, you can easily fit all the wheels inside - but it not as convenient as towing tire trailer.
You can...Are you sure? Those HP tires/wheels are huge and awkward as heck? If true that solves my PS4s for the Cup2 exchange for the trip home from Granger.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I believe I have the Curt hitch and I had to take off my exhaust and beat the mufflers endlessly with a giant hammer to make it fit. 2018 Mustang GT without active exhaust.

Nothing aftermarket ever just works. Is a life lesson I learned long ago.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
You can...Are you sure? Those HP tires/wheels are huge and awkward as heck? If true that solves my PS4s for the Cup2 exchange for the trip home from Granger.
Yes - I am absolutely sure. Before I acquired a trailer, I drove to many event with not only 4 wheels but lots of other stuff inside as well. I made a trip to Lincoln with 4x275/35/19s and then few trips around with 305/30/19 (slightly less space for other stuff). Key is to remove trunk floor piece and put one of the wheels in the space where spare sits in cars that have them.

There was a company called stealth hitch that made a really neatly hidden hitch receiver that part of it you could disconnect (which was even better for weight purposes) but they quickly gave up due to number of car / exhaust configs, never made anything for 18+.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Quite literally. That's why they call them Massholes.
Literally looks like something my supervisor would make. Somewhere I have pictures of a wooden bicycle rack he made for his motorcycle, it was hilarious.

OP
OP

FLmanScott

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 1969 Mach 1
I have the Draw-Tite on my 2019 GT w/active exhaust and it fit perfectly. I'm guessing the differential cooler and such are what's in your way....
tempImage1FjdnO.jpg
Yeah that's the same hitch I have sitting on the floor. I'm not saying it isn't possible to make something work, because fabricating something is always an option, but if you start hacking away at stuff to make it fit, there is no way to know if the diff cooler will still work as well if I move it. Know what I mean? So I am a trying to avoid that option for the time being. I have not seen any examples of someone with a Shelby and a hitch. Only GTs. So either the Shelby folks simply aren't interested in turning their cars into tow vehicles, or it isn't possible with a bolt on solution like Draw-Tite. I am guessing it is the latter of the two.

OP
OP

FLmanScott

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 1969 Mach 1
Old school basket type strapped roof rack.
I have a Seasucker roof rack gimmick, so in theory that's possible LOL. However, I also wanted to use my bike carrier, or have the option to tow a small trailer for my fishing kayak. The bike weighs 80 lbs (its a fat tire electric bike) and the kayak weighs 110 with all my gear, so loading either on top of the car is a recipe for disaster.
Sponsored