Sponsored

Mach-1 Ford Perfomance Compatible Oil Catch Cans question

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I wanted to mount the oil catch can today and got stuck on something I am not sure is right.
I was trying to loose the cam cover bolt to replace it with the stud bolt.

IMG_20220828_175743.jpg

only to find out that I was not able to pull it out. The bolt felt completely loose from the nut, I could wiggle it freely, but at the same time when pulling it out it always got stuck on something, like if there was another nut or bushing on the bolt from the inside which did not fit the hole.

This is as far as was able to get it.

IMG_20220828_180007.jpg

Trying to "unscrew" it further had no visible impact. It felt as stuck as before and as loose as before. I only applied a mild force trying to force it, being afraid that if there is indeed anything on the bolt and I manage to loose it, it might as well get lost inside the chamber.

Despite that I could easily screw the bolt back into its counterpart and tighten it up.

I am not sure what to do. Anyone faced a similar problem?
You have a retaining washer on the other side
Sponsored

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
You have a retaining washer on the other side
It feels like it, but I wonder why would Ford put it there. There is no way to release it safely as the assembly is closed and I cannot access the inside. I believe if I manage to loose the washer, it will get lost forever. There seems to be quite a leeway inside the mounting hole.

The installation guide just says
Step 2. Remove Cam Cover bolt and replace with stud bolt included with kit
It does show pliers though, which might imply some force to remove it is necessary.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-6766-A50A.PDF

Alright I guess I will have to use (bigger) force.

Mach1man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 2001 Bullitt Mustang 2001 GT Mustang
It feels like it, but I wonder why would Ford put it there. There is no way to release it safely as the assembly is closed and I cannot access the inside. I believe if I manage to loose the washer, it will get lost forever. There seems to be quite a leeway inside the mounting hole.

The installation guide just says

It does show pliers though, which might imply some force to remove it is necessary.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-6766-A50A.PDF

Alright I guess I will have to use (bigger) force.
Just keep wiggling it around, I had the same problem. The pliers will help. A pain it the Butt

K3993

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K3993 traded. 2022 MACH 1
Just keep wiggling it around, I had the same problem. The pliers will help. A pain it the Butt
No retaining washer, expansion fit on bolt. Get a rage, wrap bolt head and get a firm grip on bolt head with pliers, pull straight out with some force. Will come out no problem.
Did it on my 2019 Bullitt, had Ford Performance on passenger side.

You will see what it looks like when you get it out, put it aside in a safe place in case you ever want to put back factory

OP
OP
Rhyanski

Rhyanski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 #M5810, 2018 Mazda CX-5 Ultimate
You already started taking it out - just a few more pulls and it will pop. Don't worry, it is OK, the new one in the kit fits perfectly.
1661757434802.png

Sponsored

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
Coming back to the topic, after successfully mounted mine. The victory of the spirit over the matter - by using a bigger force :).

I tried to measure the volume of the can by filling it with water until it started leaking out from the lower spigot and then measured how much water was in there.

IMG_20220903_093945.jpg

IMG_20220903_094827_crop.jpg

The water level on the second picture is a tad below 200 ml, my educated guess would be 190 ml. Now considering that the oil has higher viscosity (and will be more difficult to get spilled into the tubing in high-G turns), I would say the half (100 ml) should be quite safe level. How long does it take to accumulate I have no idea.

Few comments on the installation:
  • Releasing the clip which holds the wire harness on the lower (mounting) bolt is easy by using a thin screwdriver (e.g. PH00), inserting it into the clip opening behind the latch and releasing the latch by pushing it from behind.
  • Apart from that and dismantling the original tube, there was no need to unmount anything else.
  • Pulling the original bolt from the cam lid was not that difficult once one had been prepared for using some force. For those going to do it, here is what you actually need to pull out:
IMG_20220903_112931.jpg

There is a bushing stuck on the bolt you need to pull out with the bolt and which is held inside by small bumps on sides (one is right on the picture). You do not need to pull it at the bushing, just pull at the bolt's head and it will take the bushing.
  • Once you manage that, the new bolt fits in without any effort.
  • You can then put the bracket to the bolts without disconnecting any electrical connectors.
  • You can then adjust the spacer M8 nut on the stud bolt to get the bracket just a snug fit.
  • There was not enough thread on the lower bolt to hook the harness clip into, but just putting it on and keeping there by the catch can seems alright.
  • After few tests I decided to mount the outlet tube in the reverse than what Ford instructions sheet suggests as it seemed to be putting less strain on the engine intake spigot, while absorbing most of the strain in the flexing part.
IMG_20220903_105520.jpg

cjatrains

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
Thanks to all for all the tips, details and photos. Completed the install of the Factory Ford Performance on my new Mach 1 based on reading and following the advice here. Went smoothly took less than an hour. No surprises. Purchased mine for a very competitive price from Blue Oval Industries.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Thanks to all for all the tips, details and photos. Completed the install of the Factory Ford Performance on my new Mach 1 based on reading and following the advice here. Went smoothly took less than an hour. No surprises. Purchased mine for a very competitive price from Blue Oval Industries.
Is it easy to "empty" the catch can?

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Is it easy to "empty" the catch can?
Yes, it's a matter of a few minutes, unplugging two quick-connect hoses, lifting the catch can up, and pouring oil out through the lower hole. Or you can unscrew 4 nuts, take the filter out and check the inside. If there's too little it can't be poured out from the hole, if there's too much it would go out after disconnecting, it depends how much you drive and how often you empty it. Good to check the oil level too.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
I unscrew the cap and pull out the oil with a large disposable syringe with a tube on it.
Then I know directly how much was in it.
Sponsored