Sponsored

Mach-1 Ford Perfomance Compatible Oil Catch Cans question

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
On my 2019 GT350, but not unique only to my car, is the factory recommendation to put their oil/air separator on the passenger side, and only add the drivers side if the car is going to be tracked, which mine will not be. The statement that it makes no sense to only do the passenger side is incorrect as it does not take into account the engineering analysis and recommendation that I just previously stated earlier.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Would be interesting to know exactly why
I learned meanwhile, that the direct injection is the reason.
Makes sense to me.

Reactions: luc

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
18 Dodge Charger scat pack
Here's after a couple of track days, passenger side of the Coyote, same config as in the Mach 1. Yes you need it if you track, but not necessary on the driver side.

1657761910137.jpeg
I got the passenger on.I was look at the GT350 drivers side on, But will have to mock up a hose to Valve cover.u don’t think it’s needing ?

trackd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
August
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP2 (SOLD), 73 240Z RB26DETT
I got the passenger on.I was look at the GT350 drivers side on, But will have to mock up a hose to Valve cover.u don’t think it’s needing ?
So far I check the driver’s hose, dry, so didn’t need it yet. Unless you push (track) really hard and hose has oil, skip the driver’s side.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
18 Dodge Charger scat pack
So far I check the driver’s hose, dry, so didn’t need it yet. Unless you push really hard and hose has oil, skip the driver’s side.
Thanks might hold off until I supercharged it

Tinpot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w 3rd pedal delete
I’m afraid that you’re correct
Would be interesting to know exactly why

On the Gen 3 the exhaust cam vct solenoid has moved so the port for those is in the wrong place on the aluminium valve covers. Also, the direct injection pump protrudes through the valve cover on the R/H side and there’s no provision for that either on the aluminium valve covers.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
On the Gen 3 the exhaust cam vct solenoid has moved so the port for those is in the wrong place on the aluminium valve covers. Also, the direct injection pump protrudes through the valve cover on the R/H side and there’s no provision for that either on the aluminium valve covers.
Thanks for the explanations
It’s too bad because the aluminum covers have such a better baffling system
They also make the valve train a bit quieter and dissipate the heat much better than the regular plastic covers

Tinpot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w 3rd pedal delete
Good looking too ! That was my primary reason for looking into whether they would fit.

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST
I made a simple bracket for my J&L can. I am sure it didn't need it but now it wont move.
Lee
20220628_201542.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rhyanski

Rhyanski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 #M5810, 2018 Mazda CX-5 Ultimate
Thank you all for your opinions, I thought my question was trivial, but it seems it sparked quite a conversation.
So, in the end, I've got the Ford Performance Catch Can (M-6766-A50A) and the installation overall was a breeze. The only thing that kind of went difficult was the flex pipe from the catch can back to the manifold. I did not like how it fits as described in the installation instruction it was putting too much stress and was bending too-sharp, so I have reversed the positions and it fitted like a glove.

For the time being I am skipping the driver side and I will monitor the hose from time to time to see if it's dry or has oil in it, and then will decide whether to install the right-hand side one. All in all, I have spared a couple of bucks and am planning on the MMD Side scoops for the quarter windows.

RobZ71LM7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 F-150
Thank you all for your opinions, I thought my question was trivial, but it seems it sparked quite a conversation.
So, in the end, I've got the Ford Performance Catch Can (M-6766-A50A) and the installation overall was a breeze. The only thing that kind of went difficult was the flex pipe from the catch can back to the manifold. I did not like how it fits as described in the installation instruction it was putting too much stress and was bending too-sharp, so I have reversed the positions and it fitted like a glove.

For the time being I am skipping the driver side and I will monitor the hose from time to time to see if it's dry or has oil in it, and then will decide whether to install the right-hand side one. All in all, I have spared a couple of bucks and am planning on the MMD Side scoops for the quarter windows.
I reversed my hose on the A50A as well, it puts a lot less strain on the connections.

davtpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Thanks folks, very helpful! Ordered it today and I’m like some others, I barely tinker with anything anymore but this is a nice little upgrade and for a neat freak my horse doesn’t want dirty backwash!

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
As has been said, catch cans aren't needed much on the driver's side.

Still, I put catch cans (not Ford Performance) on both sides on my supercharged 2011 GT, 2017 GT350, and 2021 GT. Never a drop in the driver's side can. Caught a fair amount of liquid in the passenfer side cans on the 2011 and 2017, but quite little so far from the 2021 passenger side, which has only been tracked twice so far.

Coincidentally, the 2011 and the 2017 consumed fair amounts of oil; the 2021, very little.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I wanted to mount the oil catch can today and got stuck on something I am not sure is right.
I was trying to loose the cam cover bolt to replace it with the stud bolt.

IMG_20220828_175743.jpg

only to find out that I was not able to pull it out. The bolt felt completely loose from the nut, I could wiggle it freely, but at the same time when pulling it out it always got stuck on something, like if there was another nut or bushing on the bolt from the inside which did not fit the hole.

This is as far as was able to get it.

IMG_20220828_180007.jpg

Trying to "unscrew" it further had no visible impact. It felt as stuck as before and as loose as before. I only applied a mild force trying to force it, being afraid that if there is indeed anything on the bolt and I manage to loose it, it might as well get lost inside the chamber.

Despite that I could easily screw the bolt back into its counterpart and tighten it up.

I am not sure what to do. Anyone faced a similar problem?
Sponsored