Sponsored

Mach 1 as a dual purpose street-track car (DE)

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5

Knockdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
@VictorH Pagid RSL-29 pads front and rear

How are the RSL-29 pads holding up as far as wear rate?

OP
OP
VictorH

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
The rears only have perhaps 20% wear. The fronts I would have to measure to get an accurate reading but I would say the fronts look like perhaps 50% at worst (I've removed both sets of pads and am back on street pads). I'm going to guess it's closer to 40% but without actually measuring it's just a guess. The Atlanta track day included a passenger for two sessions, so i was carrying an extra 170 pounds in the car.

Sponsored

OP
OP
VictorH

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Did you use 2 3/4" or 3" hole saw? I purchased 2 3/4" hope it's big enough.

RandomTask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2020 F350 DRW Platinum
Steeda tool so it comes with the 2 3/4”. You can see the strut mount bolt is almost up against the edge of the hole with the negative 3.0. I also used a rubber grommet around the cut to finish it off.

FYI Im running 19x11 wheels up front. No spacers,.

80C373AC-91F8-4BFA-A386-4763C42B625F.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
VictorH

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Looks nice, where did you find the monster grommet?

Codeblue009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Steeda FJG Mach 1 Handling Package - 6 Speed
Thoughts on the Mach 1 as a dual purpose street-track car (DE)

Street, everyone has their preferences, I think it’s a really quite comfortable street car, but not really intending to discuss this in any detail.

Track impressions based on the following.

Mach 1 with Handling Package, 6-speed Tremec

Still running Michelin Cup 2, start my day at 28 psi cold (usually 33-34 psi hot coming off track, with equal temps all-around)

Suspension, -2.5 degrees camber front, zero toe, -1.7 degrees camber rear with 0.2 toe in. (could use more front negative camber but stock plates only go to -2.5)

Modifications

AAD vertical links

Kelltrac IRS sub-frame lock-out kit

BMR adjustable rear camber arms with derlin bushings and lock out box

Ford Performance Toe arm bushings

J&M Front Tension arm mono-ball

PFC V3 Front and Rear Rotors

Pagid RSL-29 pads front and rear

PFC 665 brake fluid

So far have run Road Atlanta and VIR, total 3 days both tracks.

First impressions, it’s a pretty big car, but the size shrinks a bit on track. Nonetheless, it’s still easy to place accurately in the corners. The steering feel could be a lot better but the mono-ball front tension arms have helped quite a bit. I can feel the road surface now through the steering wheel.

The initial turn-in and bite on corner entry is really good with high levels of grip. On faster corners it’s easy to induce understeer if you come in a bit too hot, but the feedback is good so you feel it right away. Mid-corner is also very nice and neutral. Despite the somewhat soft springs (more on that later) the car corners very flat. I’ve seen track photos of my car fully loaded in the corner and it’s really quite flat in relatively stock form. Corner exit is another place where the car is better than expected. The rear grip is quite high. I have never gotten the rear end really loose except once during a pretty rainy session. No surprise there. In theory, particularly with the weight distribution F:R of the Mustang you wouldn’t think you have so much available rear grip but it’s pretty impressive.

Springs. The car is a bit “soft” for full-on track use. This is where you can easily convert your car from pretty good on street to terrible. Sure people will say, “I run 550 lb springs in front and 1,000 in back and the ride is still really good.” I’ve done that too, but when you take that car and put it back to stock you see how huge the difference really is. Anyway, saying that it’s soft is true and how it manifests is two ways. Number 1; transitions. Now, it’s a big heavy car and right to left transitions are always going to be a bit lumbering as that’s a lot of weight to move from one direction to another. However, number 2, where I felt it most was when the car is unweighted. In my prior, much more track focused car, when you reached a crest you felt the top right away, you were up, then you were down. The Mach 1 is more like riding a wave. You climb up to the crest of the wave, the top is a bit flat, meaning the car feels like “you’re at the summit” for a while and then you come down. The peak and valley of the unweighting and then back to flat process is more gradual and indistinct. Not really a bad thing but takes a bit of getting used to if you are accustomed to a more track-focused car.

Gearing- Probably not as big an issue as it could be. I have learned to use the torque of the car and leave it in a higher gear. Second gear is too short for anything but the very slowest corners. Third gear is really strong, but I’d really like it if it topped out at 105mph. I have learned though, you really don’t need to row as many gears as you might think because the engine is so good and the low-end torque is good enough to pull you out. Every gear change while on power is time lost so fewer changes are better and less wear on the car as well.

Brakes: In stock form they are really good, but with better, light weight rotors and real endurance race pads the braking is really outstanding. The car will generate more than 1.4g of braking force and they are consistent, predictable and absolutely no fade at all. Really like the brake set up a lot, it’s even better than my old car with a PFC 4 piston aftermarket track kit. I know the rear calipers are ugly, but they work. I think perhaps a more aggressive rear pad could be added if you wanted a bit more bite for rotation while trail braking. I might try that as I don’t think the rear brakes are working very hard at all based on the very minimal pad wear I’m seeing. I suspect more rear brake bias would be nice but then you’re talking about something aftermarket or maybe the GT350 rear brakes (not really a simple conversion).

Overall, it’s an impressive car and very track capable. We’ll see how good the cooling systems are once we get really-hot weather here. With 60-70s temps there is no issue whatsoever, with engine, trans or diff.

Other comments:

The car, at least with Cup2s needs a bit more negative camber. I think -3.5 up front and -2.0 in the rear is probably optimal for track. I will change my camber for street use (and probably need to adjust toe too), the front is easy, I guess I’ll see how the rear tire wear is before going to the more challenging issue of switching rear camber back and forth from street to track. My next set of tires (mine are by no means worn out yet), will be a set of the Goodyear Supercar 3s (currently out of stock until June). The 3R is in stock everywhere but it’s a 100 treadwear and evidently only good for one full weekend at most.

The motor is really good. It’s really quiet though, all the noise comes from the exhaust, and it’s pretty loud. Haven’t run any tracks with noise db limits but I wonder if it would pass at the tougher ones.

The gas tank is too small. Two full-on sessions is all you will get out of the tank if you are really running at max before you get the low fuel warning.

Those are my thoughts. For the money, it’s a really excellent, all-around car. You can absolutely stomp at the track, then peel off your numbers, roll up the windows, turn on the AC and stereo and head home. Nothing beats that! No trailers for me!

1652568154102.png

1652568212415.png
I love the look of a clean car. I have to admit I am biased, as I am not a big fan of the stripes, but your Mach 1 looks amazing!!! Thank you for that detailed write up. I really appreciate hearing your thoughts on the performance and utility of the vehicle. I am looking forward to my first track day. Glad you're enjoying your car.

Sponsored
OP
OP
VictorH

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Thank you for the kind comments. We have these cars to enjoy them and they are a lot of fun. The reason I left BMW is that the performance models, though really high performance, had become too sterile, too refined (if that's possible) and just not as engaging as the older models. The mustang, even the later models are able to maintain that driver engagement. Not a perfect car by any means but a really great platform in stock or mildly modified form.

OP
OP
VictorH

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I hadn't planned to really comment much on the street-side of my "dual-purpose" street-track thread. However, I now have another set of wheels and street rubber going on. Will report in a few days. Getting tires mounted tomorrow.
1653526123494.png

1653526174051.png

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
I hadn't planned to really comment much on the street-side of my "dual-purpose" street-track thread. However, I now have another set of wheels and street rubber going on. Will report in a few days. Getting tires mounted tomorrow.
1653526123494.png

1653526174051.png
What other wheels did you get?

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
1653526123494.png

1653526174051.png

Well played. Are these going on the OE wheels?

OP
OP
VictorH

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Okay, a street report.

OEM Michelin Sport Cup 2- A really nice track tire. Very forgiving, gentle break-away, really very good grip, and the way I drive are very consistent throughout a whole DE session (I’m not running qualifying type or TT laps). For the track I don’t find much fault with this tire. Even in the rain, they are okay, certainly not terrible, not as good as a street tire but better than expected for a really grip oriented dry-conditions tire.

On the street another story. Really a pretty lousy street tire. Poor straight-line tracking, horrible tramlining, particularly on concrete freeways, very noisy and very poor compliance over bumps, even at low tire pressures. In really wet conditions, hydroplanes at freeway speeds going through puddles (be extra careful). Also, very high rate of wear in street conditions. The other peeve with this tire on the street is when you go into a corner and there’s an irregularity in the pavement or a bump the car will take off on another line and need a mid-corner steering correction.

Would never replace this for use as a 80%+ street tire.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S – Compared to Cup2 a complete transformation. What a real street tire should be. Clearly superior straight-line tracking. Much quieter and much smoother over regular road surfaces and especially bumps. Can’t/won’t comment on absolute grip on public roads as I’m pretty cautious on public roads. At freeway speeds, really nice and smooth and makes the whole interior of the car much quieter. Tracks nicely around corners even if bumpy or irregular surface. Overall, a really good all-purpose street tire for mostly mild conditions and summer use. Don’t know how long they will last on the Mustang but on another car of mine they lasted 35,000 miles on the front and about 32,000 on the rear (two sets).

1653698130527.png
Sponsored