Sponsored

Mach 1 1st oil change & Track night

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Interesting concept. I did not know you can change the oil filter without changing the oil. I t won't drain more than what's in the oil filter area?
Correct, only need to add one quart or less based on cold dipstick reading.
Sponsored

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
I would definitely change before. There are reasons why people baby the car early on during break in. If there are any metal bits that come off a new engine, I'd want that out of the way prior to getting on a track. You may "start" with slow laps, but 3.5 hours of track driving? I know I would not be able to contain my right foot in those straight aways out of a bend you know? I just wouldn't do that on a factory fill and the oil of a break in period. If indeed you don't get too crazy, then I would not be as concerned about running that first oil change you do prior, post track event for awhile. These cars are meant to be driven hard. Especially if you use a top quality oil / filter (and why wouldn't you?). You will likely lose more money in early tire retirement, than you will by a couple thousand miles of factory fill time.

You "may" want to poke around the oil threads before you decide on what to run. Your factory fill is 5W20 and what is "recommended" for street driving. I myself will probably never run my car on a track, but still go with 5W30 because I do get on it living in the country with high RPM runs all the time and choose extra protection at high RPM and high ambient temps over gas mileage benefits you get with 20 weight. Many here will drain their street fill and move to a 5W30, 40 or 50, then switch back post track event. The hotter the season, the heavier the oil weight for many. I seriously recommend spending time here reading though existing threads on the subject. There will be a LOT of very strong opinions, so understand that going in. Ultimately it's your ride and you have to live with the cost / protection of your investment balance. Have fun with it!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I would definitely change before. There are reasons why people baby the car early on during break in. If there are any metal bits that come off a new engine, I'd want that out of the way prior to getting on a track. You may "start" with slow laps, but 3.5 hours of track driving? I know I would not be able to contain my right foot in those straight aways out of a bend you know? I just wouldn't do that on a factory fill and the oil of a break in period. If indeed you don't get too crazy, then I would not be as concerned about running that first oil change you do prior, post track event for awhile. These cars are meant to be driven hard. Especially if you use a top quality oil / filter (and why wouldn't you?). You will likely lose more money in early tire retirement, than you will by a couple thousand miles of factory fill time. Have fun with it!!
Thanks Rick, I can't wait to ring this thing out a little on a track... I do plenty on the road too...LOL
I'd guess that total track time would be less than 2 hours as you have some class room and awards after. Also half the group goes to track to take turns who is directly behind the instructor as you follow. then I would imagine you take turns on the autocross event for times.
Here's the link to the event- https://autobahncc.com/events/autobahn-sprint-7821/
I will definitely be changing factory fill next weekend before event as advice given makes sense.
Then after I will see the next interval and how much is in the oil catch can.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
I would definitely change before. There are reasons why people baby the car early on during break in. If there are any metal bits that come off a new engine, I'd want that out of the way prior to getting on a track. You may "start" with slow laps, but 3.5 hours of track driving? I know I would not be able to contain my right foot in those straight aways out of a bend you know? I just wouldn't do that on a factory fill and the oil of a break in period. If indeed you don't get too crazy, then I would not be as concerned about running that first oil change you do prior, post track event for awhile. These cars are meant to be driven hard. Especially if you use a top quality oil / filter (and why wouldn't you?). You will likely lose more money in early tire retirement, than you will by a couple thousand miles of factory fill time.

You "may" want to poke around the oil threads before you decide on what to run. Your factory fill is 5W20 and what is "recommended" for street driving. I myself will probably never run my car on a track, but still go with 5W30 because I do get on it living in the country with high RPM runs all the time and choose extra protection at high RPM and high ambient temps over gas mileage benefits you get with 20 weight. Many here will drain their street fill and move to a 5W30, 40 or 50, then switch back post track event. The hotter the season, the heavier the oil weight for many. I seriously recommend spending time here reading though existing threads on the subject. There will be a LOT of very strong opinions, so understand that going in. Ultimately it's your ride and you have to live with the cost / protection of your investment balance. Have fun with it!!
Minor correction, oil cap and manual state 5W30.

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Minor correction, oil cap and manual state 5W30.
I have 10gts of Motorcraft Full synthetic 5w30 and a UPR drain plug ready to go.
I used Motorcraft Full synthetic 5w20 in my 15gt for 50,000 miles

Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
I have 10gts of Motorcraft Full synthetic 5w30 and a UPR drain plug ready to go.
I used Motorcraft Full synthetic 5w20 in my 15gt for 50,000 miles
My 17 GT also used 5W20 but I believe for 21 they went to 5W30.
Have you looked at the type of drain plug on the car? It is not the same as your 15 GT.

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
My 17 GT also used 5W20 but I believe for 21 they went to 5W30.
Have you looked at the type of drain plug on the car? It is not the same as your 15 GT.
Yeah, pretty sure you're right, 5w30 on the Mach. I'm not by the car now

Tshenberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis M1908
OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
More oil changes never hurt. It's added protection.
I always change the oil after a track weekend because its lubricating properties have diminished after being subjected to such high heat levels.
In your case I would do both before and after since it is your first oil change. I wouldn't want to do a track day on the original break-in oil.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
This is hard to answer and you are getting great advice and have a good attitude about it, so plus on that.

As with everything about oil, everyone has an opinion but hardly any are backed up by data or testing. This brand vs that brand, this interval vs that one ect, lots of theory and maybe good logic but they are not tested.

For me, I would never track with a factory fill, and I would rather have a few thousand on the car before I did any track driving. That said my scheduled track day is in October and the way my delivery gets pushed out, I will likely be on factory fill too when the day comes, so I will have to change it.

So that right answer here is probably change before and a change after.

Good luck and have fun at the track!

Here is what owners manual M1 supplemental says:
1624305763278.png

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Adam, definitely changing the factory oil and then will see how hard we run.
Wonder if these guys that do autocross change their oil every weekend?

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Thanks Adam, definitely changing the factory oil and then will see how hard we run.
Autocross isn't near as hard on the engine as a track day. Like, not even really close.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Most of the autocrosses I've been to you get about 8 minutes of fast driving all day. Track events can be a few hours worth of driving. Huge difference.

I would change oil before and after. I'd probably do trans and rear diff fluid after as well.

And if it were me going to a track event I would swap out the brake fluid before doing it. RBF 600. But if you are going to take it easy and not drive the car hard, you will be putting a lot less stress on the car than I do when I'm on track.
Sponsored