Sponsored

M/T Whine 6th Gear

BLtheP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Thanks. Definitely doesn't do it in 4th, but also the noise seems the same between the video you posted (which I appreciate) and the one I found on youtube who's getting his replaced. I'll just keep an eye on it.
I think the one from YouTube is a bit misleading - that one is diff howl and it does sound a bit different but it’s hard to hear. That one’s an automatic though so it definitely isn’t making any manual trans noises. If yours has the whistle like mine then it’ll be fine, as long as the noise doesn’t bother you itself. I drown mine out with radio. The way the gears are ratio’d gets the gear teeth spinning super fast in there when in the OD gears.
Sponsored

OP
OP

dshargs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
I think the one from YouTube is a bit misleading - that one is diff howl and it does sound a bit different but it’s hard to hear. That one’s an automatic though so it definitely isn’t making any manual trans noises. If yours has the whistle like mine then it’ll be fine, as long as the noise doesn’t bother you itself. I drown mine out with radio. The way the gears are ratio’d gets the gear teeth spinning super fast in there when in the OD gears.
Thanks. I'll see if I can get a good recording next time.

Burgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Taco
Interesting, thanks (and small world!). Is the dealer able to get their hands on a new diff pretty easily? Seems like parts have been hard to come by for the 24s....
surprisingly dealer said they could have one in 3-4 days. I dropped it off last Thursday so we'll see.

My symptom was a whine/howl between 70-75mph while I was lightly on the throttle. As soon as I let off the gas or got out of that speed range the noise stopped. I have the auto trans but I did experiment with switching to different gears but regardless of the gear the noise happened between 70-75mph. The dealer drained the differential oil and it was completely burned and had "excessive" metal in it. Toyota told them to swap the differential. I found one other person with a 24 with the exact same symptoms as mine and their dealer also exchanged the differential. I reached out to them today and they said the noise is still gone after the swap.

If I were you I would see if the noise happens at a certain speed rather then gear and then go from there.

PaulT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco Sport 4WD
Here, see if this sounds like what you hear. Use good headphones to hear it. I am in 6th, then 5th, then 4th. You can tell it completely goes away in 4th, and is there in both 5/6. The noise coming and going while staying in one gear is me letting off the throttle and reapplying.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ecr5eckFVxzGDPrgB1Y5T80A

If the noise goes away in 4th then it isn’t the diff.
Wow. Definitely hear the howl/whine.

BLtheP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Wow. Definitely hear the howl/whine.
To be fair, that’s a 3rd gen regeared to 5.29 gears with only 1” larger tires than stock. A stock truck wouldn’t get that level of noise until more like 95 mph while I get it at 70ish.
Sponsored