N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
You have to realize that some of these major tuners do not have access to all Ford's tables.
Exactly. Just like the DCT trans in the GT500. Those tables are locked tighter than a virgins fun-spot.
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Can you tell me if I have this right? it sounds like you are saying that if you pay them $350 for a basic tune, they’re not going to stand behind it and put in the effort to make it right because it’s a small amount of money. Is that right?

Maybe you got lost on your way to the BMW forums? Most Mustang owners work for a living and $350 isn’t pocket change. If they can’t afford the resources to support their basic level products, they’re in over their heads and not competitive in the market.

IMO, they’re fools to not take care of the entry level people. If they’re happy with the product, they’re way more likely to stick with them for future purchases.

Just my opinion but they also hired a guy who calls himself a “douche bag” so I’m not expecting much logic from them.
I'm not a BMW guy and am not rich either. I have to pay to play just the same as you do. What I'm saying is try to imagine what it costs to employ tuners and have them on call 8 hours a day (most of them probably put in more than that to help drag racers on the weekend). So with a tune for a stock or lightly modified car, a tune they already have spent hours and hours vetting, can they do absolutely everything to satisfy each customer's specific needs? Not all the time, no. I'm an accountant and my firm charges in the $100+ per hour for work I do and I'm a typical staff person. Mechanics charge $80-$150 per hour for jobs. It's a business. The customer is not right every time and the business cannot make all customers happy and human make mistakes or occasionally do not perform. Some of this happens because of cost and time management.

They would be fools, you're correct, not to care about the entry level customers. That's probably where they generate most of their tuning revenue - volume. I think it would behoove you to try again with Lund. Maybe do what WildHorse suggested. I want to be clear so you understand it's not my intention to try to prod you or belittle you. Your comments just seemed to be opposite of what the vast majority of feedback is, maybe I am mistaken. Sometimes you don't know what you don't know, kinda thing. Try again maybe it will work out for you. If not there are tuners out there such as PBD and AED - maybe they can better assist you.

Last edited:

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
This is probably not gonna be a popular opinion but personally i think the whole canned tune thing is a borderline scam. Gave it a shot on two other platforms in the past. One couldn't get any gains whatsoever on the dyno. The other made my car ran worse and couldn't fix it (stock tune was perfect). Both were big name tuners on their respective platforms.

Modern ECUs are smart and the guys who design them smarter than your tuner. And on a NA car running pump gas there just isn't much to gain.

I think the whole tune thing is just too easy a money maker and for a lot of these guys it's all about volume. Imagine duplicating the same file hundreds, thousands of times. Takes no work but racks up $$$.

Once you've made your purchase most of these guys rarely have any desire to do actual work or troubleshooting when the one-size-fits all tune happens to not work so well on your car. Sure they can be friendly and courteous, some even give you the illusion of being "custom" with some "revisions" but that's mostly fluff.

Some guys will rave about them but I think they're just justifying their purchase and possibly fooled by aggressive throttle mapping and raised redlines.

That's just my opinion and experience. And for the record I have no experience whatsoever with Lund.

But forget that and let's pretend those tunes do work: When you have 460 something horsepower and add 10 or 15, are you really going to feel a mere ~3% increase?
On the dyno that's probably with the margin of error between runs.

This!! It's laughable to think that one canned tune is better than the other. Also laughable to think that people don't realize that Lund etc are just sending them canned tunes. I'm 99.9% sure none of these tuners change anything from their base files.

And don't even get me started about the hoops they make you jump through if their is an issue. They already have your money, they don't give a fuck.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 99.9% sure none of these tuners change anything from their base files.
You don't seem to know how it works. The more reputable shops have base tune for (whatever mod combo like say PMAS + LTH + FFE ) which they already R&D on their vehicles than it's a matter of 'ctrl+v' and here ya go. If they don't have the data, say injectors, obscure CAI's, etc, they just go by the companies specs & ya you won't get a 100% outta it. There's ZERO need for individual custom tunes for set ups that '99%' of the peeps are using. Wanna go MAX EFFORT anything ? Pay BIG MONEY for private sessions to gain that extra 7 horsepower. Or, learn to tune it yourself. After you blow up your shit a few times, then you'll catch on.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
You don't seem to know how it works. The more reputable shops have base tune for (whatever mod combo like say PMAS + LTH + FFE ) which they already R&D on their vehicles than it's a matter of 'ctrl+v' and here ya go. If they don't have the data, say injectors, obscure CAI's, etc, they just go buy the companies specs & ya you won't get a 100% outta it. There's ZERO need for individual custom tunes for set ups that '99%' of the peeps are using. Wanna go MAX EFFORT anything ? Pay BIG MONEY for private sessions to gain that extra 7 horsepower. Or, learn to tune it yourself. After you blow up your shit a few times, then you'll catch on.
I know exactly how it works. Enjoy paying out your ass for a canned tune with shitty drivability. Oh, and all the people who blew their shit up via Lund etc emails tunes would like a word.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
There is not much to change on a stock gen 3 coyote. Ford got it damn close. Each individual engine will improve with some tweaks but that would require a dyno tune.

So all these "tooners" do is ramp up the throttle demand so the car feels faster, and maybe add a bit of timing. With the 12 to 1 compression ratio there is not much room for advancing the timing.

Once you learn the torque based logic it is really simple. If you blow up your shit you really have no idea how a spark fired otto cycle engine works.

It is an Otto cycle engine, although Ford is using the Atkinson cycle at light throttle and cruise. Pretty fascinating.

These tooners are doing with software what we did by changing jets, springs, and advancing or retarding the cam. With the TiVCT there is a lot of room to play with, but stock ford has it damn close.

There is no secret sauce or magic.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Can you tell me if I have this right? it sounds like you are saying that if you pay them $350 for a basic tune, they’re not going to stand behind it and put in the effort to make it right because it’s a small amount of money. Is that right?

Maybe you got lost on your way to the BMW forums? Most Mustang owners work for a living and $350 isn’t pocket change. If they can’t afford the resources to support their basic level products, they’re in over their heads and not competitive in the market.

IMO, they’re fools to not take care of the entry level people. If they’re happy with the product, they’re way more likely to stick with them for future purchases.

Just my opinion but they also hired a guy who calls himself a “douche bag” so I’m not expecting much logic from them.
Im active duty military, so i definitely don't make a lot of money. I paid for their initial tune, the ngauge, and e85 tune. I was happy enough with my experience that i was willing to pay the $500 for them to tune me with my new supercharger. Ymmv.

Also, his channel seems pretty popular. Whatever he does works for a lot of people. You can't please everyone. I personally enjoy his channel.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I'm not a BMW guy and am not rich either. I have to pay to play just the same as you do. What I'm saying is try to imagine what it costs to employ tuners and have them on call 8 hours a day (most of them probably put in more than that to help drag racers on the weekend). So with a tune for a stock or lightly modified car, a tune they already have spent hours and hours vetting, can they do absolutely everything to satisfy each customer's specific needs? Not all the time, no. I'm an accountant and my firm charges in the $100+ per hour for work I do and I'm a typical staff person. Mechanics charge $80-$150 per hour for jobs. It's a business. The customer is not right every time and the business cannot make all customers happy and human make mistakes or occasionally do not perform. Some of this happens because of cost and time management.
Every business sometimes encounters problematic cases, and I think how they deal with it says a lot more about the business than how happy their run of the mill customers, who use their canned product, are.

Good service is admitting your product, contrary to what you told customer before, does not seem to work after all. It's feasible to make your product/tune work on the 2020, but it will require some work. The cost of time may be be more than Lund earned by selling the product to the customer, so in effect, they'll lose money by making their tune work as they told the customer it would and it would be cheaper to refund.

What a good business, or even just decent business does, is make their customer happy by making their product work for customer as they said it would as long as that is feasible, even if it means they'll lose money on this customer due to the unexpected time and effort.
Yes, sometimes you have to lose money on a customer through no fault of the customer himself. Happens in every decent shop, and a shop that is not willing to do that is not a good shop IMO.

I think giving Lund a C+ based on what seems to have transpired is more than generous. I hope somebody there takes the necessary steps to make the OP a happy customer, if that is still possible.

Jhonda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp1
There is not much to change on a stock gen 3 coyote. Ford got it damn close. Each individual engine will improve with some tweaks but that would require a dyno tune.

So all these "tooners" do is ramp up the throttle demand so the car feels faster, and maybe add a bit of timing. With the 12 to 1 compression ratio there is not much room for advancing the timing.

These tooners are doing with software what we did by changing jets, springs, and advancing or retarding the cam. With the TiVCT there is a lot of room to play with, but stock ford has it damn close.

There is no secret sauce or magic.
Not sure if there is not a lot you can do with a tune. I picked up 40whp with a e85 tune over just a intake and Xpipe. I would say ford left some on the table there.
416hp 390tq with a drop in filter and Xpipe stock tune. To 470hp 440tq. So I’m guessing stock it would have been 410 385 to what I have now for about $1300 is alot.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Not sure if there is not a lot you can do with a tune. I picked up 40whp with a e85 tune over just a intake and Xpipe. I would say ford left some on the table there.
416hp 390tq with a drop in filter and Xpipe stock tune. To 470hp 440tq. So I’m guessing stock it would have been 410 385 to what I have now for about $1300 is alot.
It's because you're using e85. For a 93 octane tune, there's not much room in stock form (even with a catback or aftermarket intake). A fair bit of the gen 3's potential is gated behind octane.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
It's because you're using e85. For a 93 octane tune, there's not much room in stock form (even with a catback or aftermarket intake). A fair bit of the gen 3's potential is gated behind octane.
I agree with both of yall here. Yes..it is because of the e85 mostly..but at the same time..the car NEEDS the tune to use that fuel, even though its capable of handling it from the factory. So that can go either way imo

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
Hmm, so a forum member has a legitimate complaint with customer dissatisfaction, but because company X seems to have a large following and good reputation, that means the individual forum member needs to shut the fuck up and move on. Shit happens all the time, even the best screw up sometimes. @MRGTX seems to be a well spoken and thought our person, and instead of considering what he says, it seems 3/4 of the people in this thread have deemed him a dumbass that should expect less for his $350. It sounds like he isn't asking for anything the company is unable to do, so why is it too much for him to expect resolution?

But instead lets back company X and shit on the forum members. Sounds legit.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, so a forum member has a legitimate complaint with customer dissatisfaction, but because company X seems to have a large following and good reputation, that means the individual forum member needs to shut the fuck up and move on.
He can post there side of the convo. So far, it's one sided.

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
He can post there side of the convo. So far, it's one sided.
That's a fair statement, but so far you have sided with the company without even knowing their side, other than what OP has told you. Which is not fair.
Sponsored