Sponsored

Lund nGuage and Stock Tune File Question!

Darthmayxj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hey All!

Have my Whipple kit coming in next week and need to return my car to the stock tune before loading the Whipple provided tune. I remember at some point telling my nGauge to read the car again which saved a new stock tune file that was really a pro-charger tune (I had a CEL that I was trying to read and pushed the wrong option). Did some testing with a buddy and we found that every time you do the "Read-Vehicle" option it doesn't overwrite the old ones it just creates a new one. So on both nguages we now have following files:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.stk - with the x's being our VIN number
StockFile.stk - Tune file that was pulled when telling the nGuage to read the car again
StockFile-01.stk - Tune file that is now on buddies nguage from when we ran the test on his nGuage.

Is it safe to assume that the xxxxxxxxxxxx.stk is the stock tune that was made the FIRST time the nGauge was used to flash our cars?

Thanks a ton all!
Josh
Sponsored

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I accidentally did something similar. I somehow ended up with two tunes in my stock tune folder. One called "stock file.stk" and one "vin.stk"

When I asked Lund they told me they one called "stock file.stk" was the correct one to use if I ever had to flash back to stock. However when the time came I tried to load this one and the ngauge wouldn't do it. Said something like "wrong stock file". The file with my full vin worked so I deleted the other one.

OP
OP

Darthmayxj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I accidentally did something similar. I somehow ended up with two tunes in my stock tune folder. One called "stock file.stk" and one "vin.stk"

When I asked Lund they told me they one called "stock file.stk" was the correct one to use if I ever had to flash back to stock. However when the time came I tried to load this one and the ngauge wouldn't do it. Said something like "wrong stock file". The file with my full vin worked so I deleted the other one.

Thanks for the response. I was pretty sure the vin numbered file was right as several videos on how to return car to stock showed them using the vin file. :)

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I had this happen as well.

Had two stock files, one labeled stock and one as the vin#. Tried the stock, got the error wrong file. Tried the VIN and got the same error.

Cycled again and tried one more time and it loaded back to stock with the VIN file.

Honestly IMO the ngauge is glitchy AF.

Why haven't tuners gone to full software solution using iphone or android?

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
you can always save your stock files on your pc as well. it takes about 5 secs to do a copy paste of the file once you save it.

much easier to use than compared to the sct

Sponsored

OP
OP

Darthmayxj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I had this happen as well.

Had two stock files, one labeled stock and one as the vin#. Tried the stock, got the error wrong file. Tried the VIN and got the same error.

Cycled again and tried one more time and it loaded back to stock with the VIN file.

Honestly IMO the ngauge is glitchy AF.

Why haven't tuners gone to full software solution using iphone or android?

The guys at LUND are saying its the file thats labeled "stock.stk" but I know for a fact I saved a second stock file by accident when I had some issues with a CEL. Shrug.

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
one of the options in the ngauge was to save off your stock file. this was separate from the normal process of writing a new tune and the stock file being saved. i did that manual process (which took about 10 min) and that might be why i had two files on the card.

why it was fighting me in trying to return the car back to stock i don't know. but it worked.

OP
OP

Darthmayxj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
one of the options in the ngauge was to save off your stock file. this was separate from the normal process of writing a new tune and the stock file being saved. i did that manual process (which took about 10 min) and that might be why i had two files on the card.

why it was fighting me in trying to return the car back to stock i don't know. but it worked.

Yeah same here. I think the VIN named one is made when you do that first flash to custom and it does the first stock save. The ones named STOCK are done when you force the read I think.

John Nardi from Lund said he will get the guys to make a stock file for me off my VIN so I think I'm OK.

Will most likely pay Lund to do the custom tune on the whipple etc once I'm ready to do the fuel system upgrade.

OP
OP

Darthmayxj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Just a quick followup. Got an email back from John as follows:

But Justin said -
When the nGauge first locks to the vehicle, it pulls what’s in the PCM and saves it as <VIN>.stk. This is the only file that will work for Tuning>Load Stock.
The stockfileXX.stk files are generated by Tuning>Read Vehicle and are not able to be used to return the car to stock.

So in my case its possible that stockfile.stk is legit but now I know the vin.stk is for sure correct! I am good to go.