Lund E85R tune > "Not Ready" status on annual inspection

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I agree, I was talking about reporting the inspection service who cannot let the car pass and come to a satisfactory result for the customer.
Well, the only thing the inspection place can do is charge him to fix the car. Then they will start to dig into "what might be wrong". You're looking at $100 an hour for the diagnosis fee. In OP case it is just the tune and a simple 5-minute change. But some places aren't going to think of that and they could spend all day trying to figure out what is wrong.
Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Nah you don't want to report the tuner to DMV. The thing is a government agency EPA has already visited Lund and other tuners this year. There was a whole thing about it a few months ago. Auto News - Ngauge closed down / VMP, SCT and Lund Racing visited by EPA? | The Chicago Garage
The last thing is we all want is for more of this type of Bullshit. The EPA is really cracking down on the performance industry

There are people and organizations like S.E.M.A who are trying to get the RPM act through congress "PROTECT YOUR RIGHT TO RACE! THE EPA IS BANNING RACECARS."
Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act of 2021 (RPM Act) | Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)

"IN 2015 when EPA took the position that converted vehicles must remain emissions-compliant, even though they are no longer driven on public streets or highways. Although the EPA abandoned efforts to make the policy a formal regulation, the agency still maintains the practice of modifying the emission system of a motor vehicle for the purpose of converting it for racing is illegal. Manufacturing, selling, and installing race parts for the converted vehicle would also be a violation. The EPA has also announced that enforcement against high-performance parts—including superchargers, tuners, and exhaust systems—is a top priority."
Yep, the E - P - A is nothing more than a radical, aggressive tactic ran Dept. They are bought and paid for to destroy fossil fuel vehicles. I'm surprised they haven't mandated putting solar panels on the roof of all new cars and installing small wind mill generators on the front of new cars. Like everything else, they will not stop. Good Luck

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Honestly, NY isn't as bad as I use to think it was. It is fairly easy to pass most places here. All you need is safety items and the monitors to be on and the car will pass. It is that simple! I have been looking to move out of NY. Looking at some other states and one thing I always check out is other state emissions laws. N.Y. emission and safety aren't really too bad. Like I said I had issues with getting my Lightning to pass. Once I understood what was going on. It made things much easier. My Lightning is a fully built and bolt-on motor. It passes emissions with no issues even with Long tube headers and after-market cams. Like I said NY state just wants to see those monitors are ready. They don't give a shit what mods you have.
LI here too actually lol, I think a better reason to leave is too much traffic 😄 I think one of these days they're going to do actual emissions testing of the exhaust gas. By that time I'll hopefully be on electric doing 0-60 in 1 second 😎

If Lund doesn't send me a tune by EOD Monday then I'm just gonna swap back to stock tune and pass that way. I hate doing that, for sanity I always run a full tank on flex fuel tune as I transition between fuel. Time consuming process ... im not gonna siphon the tank lol.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
installing small wind mill generators on the front of new cars.
You might be on to something here, wind driven generator might extend the range of the EV assuming the drag from the turbine is less than the generating capacity.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
You might be on to something here, wind driven generator might extend the range of the EV assuming the drag from the turbine is less than the generating capacity.
Dang, let's patent that idea and make some money to pay for all of the mods we are doing, we must keep our Dinosaurs hydrated lol

Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Dang, let's patent that idea and make some money to pay for all of the mods we are doing, we must keep our Dinosaurs hydrated lol
perpetual motion patent, might be onto something.

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I dont think Lund wants to hand out the emissions tune anymore. I told them my car is 100% stock and asked for the emissions tune ... their reply was to just use the stock tune. It will work I'm sure. Just a small inconvenience.

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
by small inconvenience you mean you have to do donuts all day at the inspection service shop to empty the e85 gas tank?

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
by small inconvenience you mean you have to do donuts all day at the inspection service shop to empty the e85 gas tank?
Yes hahahaha. I burned through the e85 and I'm back on stock tune. So far 2 of the monitors turned on. A couple more drive cycles and the rest should be green :) This kinda works out anyway, I have a small road trip coming up this weekend so I might as well stay on 93 for that. But damn, I can feel the power loss lol

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Yes hahahaha. I burned through the e85 and I'm back on stock tune. So far 2 of the monitors turned on. A couple more drive cycles and the rest should be green :) This kinda works out anyway, I have a small road trip coming up this weekend so I might as well stay on 93 for that. But damn, I can feel the power loss lol
Oh the e vs pump power difference is severe. Exactly why only switch when I absolutely have to. And of course the pump tanks last sooooo much longer when you're wanting to switch back !

Sponsored
OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Oh the e vs pump power difference is severe. Exactly why only switch when I absolutely have to. And of course the pump tanks last sooooo much longer when you're wanting to switch back !
Ughhh .. well I got a 4.5 0-60 from a dead stop yesterday video timed. Stock tune feels so tame and easy to control lol, usually I'm cautious of full sends from a dead stop even on 305s.

A few weeks ago I did a road trip on E85 and surprised myself with two facts:

1. I found a gas station along the way with E85 lol, always good to know these locations
2. I can go about 350 miles on a tank of E85, maybe more if I tapped into the bottom of the tank lol

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I'm still trying to get the last four monitors to turn on lol. If I understand the logic right, EVAP must switch on first before O2/HO2 will run. Only thing I did wrong is I wasn't properly cold starting the car each time I drove it yesterday. Only that first drive of the day. Every startup after the engine temp was still 150+ lol, crazy how long the engine retains heat for when you park the car.

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Damn I followed the steps to my best understanding for EVAP and its still red. I drove at 45-65mph on highway for 10 minutes, avoiding sharp turns and hills.

20211005_130103.jpg

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
from workshop manual:

Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Monitor
The HO2S monitor is an on board strategy designed to monitor the heated oxygen sensors for concerns or deterioration which can
affect emissions. The fuel control or stream 1 HO2S are checked for correct output voltage and response rate. Response rate is the
time it takes to switch from lean to rich or rich to lean. The rear or stream 2 HO2S is monitored for correct output voltage and is
used for catalyst monitoring and fore aft oxygen sensor (FAOS) control. Input is required from the camshaft position (CMP) sensor,
the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor, the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor or the cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor
(if equipped), the fuel rail pressure temperature (FRPT) sensor, the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor, the intake air temperature
(IAT) sensor, the mass airflow (MAF) sensor (if equipped), the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor, the throttle position (TP)
sensor and vehicle speed to activate the HO2S monitor. The fuel system monitor and misfire detection monitor must also have
completed successfully before the HO2S monitor is enabled.

1. The HO2S senses the oxygen content in the exhaust flow. Lean of stoichiometric, air to fuel ratio of approximately 14.7 to 1
(9 to 1 E100), the HO2S generates a voltage less than 0.45 volt. Rich of stoichiometric, the HO2S generates a voltage
greater than 0.45 volt. The current required to maintain the universal HO2S at 0.45 volt is used by the PCM to calculate the
air to fuel ratio. The HO2S monitor evaluates the HO2S for correct function.
2. The time between HO2S switches is monitored after vehicle startup and during closed loop fuel conditions. Excessive time
between switches or no switches since startup indicates a concern. Since lack of switching concerns can be caused by
HO2S concerns or by shifts in the fuel system, DTCs are stored that provide additional information for the lack of switching
concern. Different DTCs indicate whether the sensor always indicates lean, rich, or disconnected. The HO2S signal is also
monitored for high voltage. An over voltage condition is caused by a HO2S heater or battery power short to the HO2S signal
line.
A functional test of the rear HO2S is done during normal vehicle operation. The peak rich and lean voltages are continuously
monitored. Voltages that exceed the calibrated rich and lean thresholds indicate a functional sensor. If the voltages have not
exceeded the thresholds after a long period of vehicle operation, the air to fuel ratio may be forced rich or lean in an attempt
to get the rear sensor to switch. This situation normally occurs only with a green, less than 804.7 km (500 miles), catalyst. If
the sensor does not exceed the rich and lean peak thresholds, a concern is indicated. Also, a deceleration fuel shut off rear
HO2S response test is done during a deceleration fuel shut off (DFSO) event. Carrying out the HO2S response test during a
DFSO event helps to isolate a sensor concern from a catalyst concern. The response test monitors how quickly the sensor
switches from a rich to lean voltage. It also monitors if there is a delay in the response to the rich or lean condition. If the
sensor responds very slowly to the rich to lean voltage switch or is never greater than a rich voltage threshold or less than a
lean voltage threshold, a concern is indicated.
3. The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is activated after a concern is detected on 2 consecutive drive cycles.
Sponsored