2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hey,

I have E85R tune and got "Not Ready" status. To remedy, I tried driving 100 miles and still get "Not Ready".

My next step to fixing this is run the tank to empty so I can swap back to stock tune and do a couple short drives before trying again.

Anybody go through this before?

Edit: None of the following apply to my problem:

1. Check engine light
2. Clear codes
3. Disconnect battery
4. Jump battery
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
What wasn't ready ?

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I dont have the inspection result paper on me at this moment, but every single emissions related checklist item came back "not ready". Yes, thats the term they use here in NY as part of the inspections process.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I dont have the inspection result paper on me at this moment, but every single emissions related checklist item came back "not ready".
Sounds like a problem on there end, unless they only monitor 2 things and allow you your one 'not ready' freebee.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
How long have your had the tune? Have you ever passed testing with it before? It’s possible that some features in the tune turned off emissions related items (no one is willing admit it these days though). Lund can likely send you a new revision that magically fixes it.

Sponsored

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
If you can, just go back to the stock tune. After you put the stock tune on, disconnect your battery for a while. Then follow the Ford Drive cycles method. You can find it online just by searching that term.

If you have a older Lund tune, it has some things turned off for sure. Mine did. Sometimes you have to disconnect the battery if there is a hard fault for one of the systems since they are turned off. A normal OBD scanner won't see that and you won't have a light.

You can also grab an OBD wifi or bluetooth adapter and the free version of OBDFusion for your phone. You can watch the drive cycle monitors in real time to see when you are ready.

I've gone though this with a few mustangs and tunes from a few different people. You'll get it.

Good Luck

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Thanks all, I've had the tune since late 2019 or early 2020ish. I can swap back to stock tune, so that's what I'll do.

I confirmed it isn't just the first shops fault, as another shop also got gave me the same "Not Ready" fail result, ugh!

Is there any way to check if I'm "ready" via nGauge?

Also, I had P05A1 code that wasn't triggering MIL. I've had this code for months but just ignored it. Could that be the issue?

I dont remember what tune I was on when I passed last year. I think e85 tune though.

20211001_171203.jpg

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Is this how I can tell? I'm not sure what exactly needs to be green or "not red" to be "ready"

20211001_171340.jpg

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So here is what is going on. Since you live in NY like me. I'm on Long Island. Years ago NY state switched Emission testing companies. They now use this company called Opus. Read the link to understand what Opus does. OPUS - Opus Inspection awarded US Patent for OBD Fraud Detection System
I had this problem with my 2000 Ford Lightning and getting it to pass inspection. I found out that the tuners were turning off all the monitors. They need to all be on in order to pass NY state emissions. There is no real way around it. Your car will pass even with a tune as long as all the monitors are turned on and in ready status.

To get it to pass this year I would put the stock tune back in it and get all the monitors to ready and then work with your tuner on a new tune that has all monitors on and then you can drive it until everything says ready.

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Really appreciate the detailed reply, that helps a lot actually.

I'm going to check the I/M monitors after swapping back to 93 and see how that goes .. I cut it close so I don't have much time

Sponsored

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
wow, every year, that twice as much as we need to have the car inspected here and for new cars you only need to have it inspected the first time in 3 years (2018+).

I found this:
https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/new-york-state-vehicle-safetyemissions-inspection-program

and it states

The following emissions control devices are examined if the vehicle was originally manufactured with them:

Catalytic converter (CAT)
Exhaust gas recirculation valve (EGR)
Positive crankcase ventilation system (PCV)
Air injection system (AIS)
Evaporative emissions control (EVAP)
Fuel inlet restrictor (FIR)
Thermostatic air cleaner (TAC)

Since their failed to successfully inspect your legit and properly tuned Mustang, you could file a complaint about them to the DMV:

If you are not satisfied with the quality of a vehicle inspection or repair, or the service provided by a motor vehicle dealer, first attempt to resolve the issue with the management of the business.
[...]
If an acceptable resolution is not reached and you wish to file a complaint, you must submit a Vehicle Safety Complaint Report (PDF) (VS-35) along with any supporting documents to the DMV Consumer & Facilities Services Complaint Unit.
[...]
[email protected].
Might be a bit of effort though, so most likely stock tune for the inspection is the easiest way.

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
wow, every year, that twice as much as we need to have the car inspected here and for new cars you only need to have it inspected the first time in 3 years (2018+).

I found this:
https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/new-york-state-vehicle-safetyemissions-inspection-program

and it states

Since their failed to successfully inspect your legit and properly tuned Mustang, you could file a complaint about them to the DMV:

Might be a bit of effort though, so most likely stock tune for the inspection is the easiest way.
Yeah, NY is the new Cali I suppose lol.

I emailed Lund about getting an "emissions" tune. I didn't know that was a thing .. so hopefully they can shoot one over to me and I won't need to swap to 93. It's always a pain for that.

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

I found this:

and it states

Nah you don't want to report the tuner to DMV. The thing is a government agency EPA has already visited Lund and other tuners this year. There was a whole thing about it a few months ago. Auto News - Ngauge closed down / VMP, SCT and Lund Racing visited by EPA? | The Chicago Garage
The last thing is we all want is for more of this type of Bullshit. The EPA is really cracking down on the performance industry

There are people and organizations like S.E.M.A who are trying to get the RPM act through congress "PROTECT YOUR RIGHT TO RACE! THE EPA IS BANNING RACECARS."
Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act of 2021 (RPM Act) | Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)

"IN 2015 when EPA took the position that converted vehicles must remain emissions-compliant, even though they are no longer driven on public streets or highways. Although the EPA abandoned efforts to make the policy a formal regulation, the agency still maintains the practice of modifying the emission system of a motor vehicle for the purpose of converting it for racing is illegal. Manufacturing, selling, and installing race parts for the converted vehicle would also be a violation. The EPA has also announced that enforcement against high-performance parts—including superchargers, tuners, and exhaust systems—is a top priority."

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Nah you don't want to report the tuner to DMV. The thing is a government agency EPA has already visited Lund and other tuners this year. There was a whole thing about it a few months ago. Auto News - Ngauge closed down / VMP, SCT and Lund Racing visited by EPA? | The Chicago Garage
The last thing is we all want is for more of this type of Bullshit. The EPA is really cracking down on the performance industry

There are people and organizations like S.E.M.A who are trying to get the RPM act through congress "PROTECT YOUR RIGHT TO RACE! THE EPA IS BANNING RACECARS."
Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act of 2021 (RPM Act) | Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)

"IN 2015 when EPA took the position that converted vehicles must remain emissions-compliant, even though they are no longer driven on public streets or highways. Although the EPA abandoned efforts to make the policy a formal regulation, the agency still maintains the practice of modifying the emission system of a motor vehicle for the purpose of converting it for racing is illegal. Manufacturing, selling, and installing race parts for the converted vehicle would also be a violation. The EPA has also announced that enforcement against high-performance parts—including superchargers, tuners, and exhaust systems—is a top priority."
I agree, I was talking about reporting the inspection service who cannot let the car pass and come to a satisfactory result for the customer.

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yeah, NY is the new Cali I suppose lol.

I emailed Lund about getting an "emissions" tune. I didn't know that was a thing .. so hopefully they can shoot one over to me and I won't need to swap to 93. It's always a pain for that.
Honestly, NY isn't as bad as I use to think it was. It is fairly easy to pass most places here. All you need is safety items and the monitors to be on and the car will pass. It is that simple! I have been looking to move out of NY. Looking at some other states and one thing I always check out is other state emissions laws. N.Y. emission and safety aren't really too bad. Like I said I had issues with getting my Lightning to pass. Once I understood what was going on. It made things much easier. My Lightning is a fully built and bolt-on motor. It passes emissions with no issues even with Long tube headers and after-market cams. Like I said NY state just wants to see those monitors are ready. They don't give a shit what mods you have.
Sponsored