Sponsored

Lug Nut Torque Spec on Aftermarket Wheels?

GattmanLA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT500 (SOLD)
I've done a little search and couldn't find anything specifically relating to this on the forums, so forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere.

I've just installed the "R Spec" Project6GR wheels onto my 2017 GT350 (which look amazing) and found out that the lug nut holes require the skinny "tuner" style lug nuts. My regular gorilla lug nuts are too fat to fit. So my question to all of you out there with the Project6GR wheels, or any other aftermarket wheel that requires the smaller diameter tuner lug nuts, is what do you torque the lug nuts to? The factory spec for the OEM wheels (R and non R) is 150lbs. But I was told that the tuner lug nuts can't handle that amount of torque because the seats are smaller and that 100lbs is fine.

What are you guys doing and what are your thoughts? Also what brands of tuner lug nuts are the strongest and best for our cars?

Cheers.

ADDENDUM: OK, just found a few threads. But there still seems to be confusion. Some people are saying that 100lbs is more than enough... but others saying that it has to be factory spec 150lbs...
Sponsored

Last edited:

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
That sucks . . . I picked up a set of Gorilla nuts to use with my 6GR wheels.
I guess I'll need to use them on the factory wheels.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I've done a little search and couldn't find anything specifically relating to this on the forums, so forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere.

I've just installed the "R Spec" Project6GR wheels onto my 2017 GT350 (which look amazing) and found out that the lug nut holes require the skinny "tuner" style lug nuts. My regular gorilla lug nuts are too fat to fit. So my question to all of you out there with the Project6GR wheels, or any other aftermarket wheel that requires the smaller diameter tuner lug nuts, is what do you torque the lug nuts to? The factory spec for the OEM wheels (R and non R) is 150lbs. But I was told that the tuner lug nuts can't handle that amount of torque because the seats are smaller and that 100lbs is fine.

What are you guys doing and what are your thoughts? Also what brands of tuner lug nuts are the strongest and best for our cars?

Cheers.

ADDENDUM: OK, just found a few threads. But there still seems to be confusion. Some people are saying that 100lbs is more than enough... but others saying that it has to be factory spec 150lbs...
150 +/-15 Ft lbs. I tq mine to the lower end 135 FT lbs

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
torque settings are there to achieve sufficient bolt tension on the wheel studs, not the lug nuts. The studs are bigger compared to S197 so they require a higher torque value than before.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Torque to spec or you risk the lugs coming off. Think of the wheel studs as being like springs. You have to tighten the lug enough to get a little stretch on the wheel stud, otherwise temperature changes due to weather, braking heat, etc. can cause the connection to loosen up over time due to the different rates of expansion/contraction of the different materials.

In theory it's like the small springs they put on carburetor screws to prevent them from moving. As long as there is always a force on the threads, friction in the threads will hold the fastener in position.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
I torque my 6GR wheels to 150lbs with the lugs that I got with my wheel order. I don't know what brand they are but they fit. Just barely, but they fit!

FocusRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
The guys that put mine on torqued them at 140ish. Much higher than the prev stock rims.

There was so much powder coating they BARELY fit and some room needed to be cleared manually. They had me drive spiritly for a couple days and come back for a retighten. A couple needed it !

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Aftermarket wheels still use the LARGE stud thread of the OEM studs. Stay with OEM 150lb-ft. It's a lot but it's also a larger stud than an s197 or most cars for that matter -so it requires more torque.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
At my last track event, I used MSI open lugs and torqued them to 135. 150 is too much IMO.

Sponsored

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
As stated, it's not about the wheels, it is about proper bolt stretch on the studs. 150ft lbs is the required torque, regardless of the wheel used. It is based on the size of the 14mm studs. Anyone saying less is flat out wrong.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
As stated, it's not about the wheels, it is about proper bolt stretch on the studs. 150ft lbs is the required torque, regardless of the wheel used. It is based on the size of the 14mm studs. Anyone saying less is flat out wrong.
No you're wrong. I've been torquing my wheels for over 50 years and I've never tightened them to 150ft-lbs nor have I ever had a problem.

I just bought a Porsche GT3 with center lock wheels. Did you know those crazy krauts are trying to convince me to torque the single lug to 444ft-lbs??? What a bunch of BS. I've never had a problem with 80ft-lbs in all of my cars and the Porsche is no different.

:headbonk:

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
The amount of people posting on the facebook pages with sheared studs is scary. Proper torque isn't a suggestion or an arbitrary number. It is a safety standard. PLEASE follow it.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
This. It's not rocket science, but it is metallurgical science. And yeah, I can totally understand 444 ft-lbs on a center lock wheel. Look up what it takes to properly stretch a single 40mm to 70mm "stud" and you will understand why.

The studs on the F250 are 165#.

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
No you're wrong. I've been torquing my wheels for over 50 years and I've never tightened them to 150ft-lbs nor have I ever had a problem.

I just bought a Porsche GT3 with center lock wheels. Did you know those crazy krauts are trying to convince me to torque the single lug to 444ft-lbs??? What a bunch of BS. I've never had a problem with 80ft-lbs in all of my cars and the Porsche is no different.

:headbonk:
No, he's right and you're wrong. The proper torque is 150ft-lbs per the owners manual.
Sponsored