Sponsored

LT5 in a ZLE - GT500 killer

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Now we're comparing one off aftermarket builds with OEM stuff that rolls off the factory floor?

My buddy has a 1990 fox that will wipe the floor with both the new GT500 and HPE ZL1...so does that mean that foxboy cars are the shit to have now and 2020 GT500s are crap?
Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
i want to say i've seen a straight blower swap to either the magnuson or edelbrock 2650 and changing nothing else it was only around 30hp bump. seems the bigger blower being more efficient wouldn't create much more, if any, heat would it?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I hope GM does do this. At least the Camaro will go out in style!

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I didn't mention increasing power over the existing ZL1. I said if GM switched the transmission to a dual clutch design it would be faster. My bet is it could easily run sub 3 second 0-60 times with good street tires.
Who would pay for it? A lot of Chevy lovers could be potential buyers. A dual clutch trans shouldn't add more than $2-3K at most so you could still get out of the dealers lot for $70k or less.
Not being loyal to any brand keeps a drivers options wide open.

GM reduced the C8 0-60 times almost a full second from the C7 with only 30 more HP by going to a DC trans. And the C8 weighs more. Its not all about HP.
DCT adding only 2-3k? That trans probably retails for 15-20k. Wholesale at least 10. Aint nooooo way economy of scale gets it down to 3k only additional. Trans alone your rigjt back to base 500 price, which apparently is already too high for Camaro owners, or their customer base

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Now we're comparing one off aftermarket builds with OEM stuff that rolls off the factory floor?

My buddy has a 1990 fox that will wipe the floor with both the new GT500 and HPE ZL1...so does that mean that foxboy cars are the shit to have now and 2020 GT500s are crap?
anything to dry the tears.

first it was... forget the Camaro, make it fight the C8!

Oh... it won? Um... make it fight one of those unreliable Hennessy contraptions!

not likely to end soon.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Retarded. plenty of aftermarket support for the Camaros already, know plenty of people with fast 800-1000hp ones.. adding power is 1 part of the equation. GM is dumb, but i doubt dumb enough to throw $$ at a failing program, which would be needed to best the 500 at this point

nc_oc=AQmRxh9h0p7caqrDjzWflRindvg7pmj8nzs6DIHbWPAxWPwLtBYO7TQgsaoHgQ7yeX0&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

And as always, Hennessey is a scamartist and anyone who deals with him, or even gives his site clicks, deserves exactly what they get

and my favorite part:

"Production of THE RESURRECTION will be limited to just 24 examples. THE RESURRECTION can be ordered directly from Chevrolet dealers or from Hennessey at the cost of $200,000 which includes the new Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE."
100% agree. And even if he does stick an lt5 in a Camaro, he won't have the track reliability that a factory effort like the GT500 would have. It's a huge difference between an aftermarket car and a factory effort. If GM did it, then it would be up to snuff, I just don't know if they would put an LT in the Alpha at this point. It would be awesome to see though.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Just shows how awesome the 500 is.
Protect the Camaro they say.
Make it fight the vette they say.
Oops. That looks really bad now.
The only thing left to do is bring up the aftermarket. LOL

The scary thing is the 500 can be modded too. With all these hurt feelings going on, I think I’m going to buy stock in the antidepressant market.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2001 Bullitt, 2004 Mystichrome Convertible, 2017 GT Premium
So for only $250k I can get a GT500 killer? What an amazing time to be alive!

mJolnir

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
Just shows how awesome the 500 is.
Protect the Camaro they say.
Make it fight the vette they say.
Oops. That looks really bad now.
The only thing left to do is bring up the aftermarket. LOL

The scary thing is the 500 can be modded too. With all these hurt feelings going on, I think I’m going to buy stock in the antidepressant market.
i think this generation gt500 beats the zl1 the same way the past generation gt500 beat the zl1, and that it will compare the same as it did against the past c7 z51.

On the past gen the camaro was a heavier car but the chassis was better suited for track duty, while the gt500 was a lighter car with more hp but the suspension and brakes werent up for the track duty, the result was a faster 1/4 mile time for the gt500 and that was it.

The 6gen the camaro is a smaller lighter car than the 5 gen, and the 2015 mustang gained weight with the new better chassis and is now heavier than the camaro and it showed itself on every comparison test, just like it showed it self on every 2011 camaro ss vs mustang gt race video there ever was.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
i think this generation gt500 beats the zl1 the same way the past generation gt500 beat the zl1, and that it will compare the same as it did against the past c7 z51.

On the past gen the camaro was a heavier car but the chassis was better suited for track duty, while the gt500 was a lighter car with more hp but the suspension and brakes werent up for the track duty, the result was a faster 1/4 mile time for the gt500 and that was it.

The 6gen the camaro is a smaller lighter car than the 5 gen, and the 2015 mustang gained weight with the new better chassis and is now heavier than the camaro and it showed itself on every comparison test, just like it showed it self on every 2011 camaro ss vs mustang gt race video there ever was.
that was before IRS and honest to goodness suspension engineering in the new 500.
The goals are different.

The old 500 was basically a lighter Hellcat. it was simply meant to beat the crap out of the competition in a straight line.

the new GT500 is a chassis tour de force. When you are talking chassis tuning, you are talking rigidity, geometry, and suspension.
The canary is lighter. The 500 has the better chassis. It’s inherently had the better contact footprint, but outside of the 350, the suspension setups have been soft.

the 500 has an optimum suspension for the track.

this comparison won’t look anything like the 2013.

Ford has shifted gears and isn’t looking backward.

mJolnir

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
that was before IRS and honest to goodness suspension engineering in the new 500.
The goals are different.

The old 500 was basically a lighter Hellcat. it was simply meant to beat the crap out of the competition in a straight line.

the new GT500 is a chassis tour de force. When you are talking chassis tuning, you are talking rigidity, geometry, and suspension.
The canary is lighter. The 500 has the better chassis. It’s inherently had the better contact footprint, but outside of the 350, the suspension setups have been soft.

the 500 has an optimum suspension for the track.

this comparison won’t look anything like the 2013.

Ford has shifted gears and isn’t looking backward.
This new gt500 specs seem far too similar to the hellcat redeye that is supposed to be the most track worthy hellcat, i believe the track pack will be able to beat the normal zl1 in all scenarios, thats good enough for probably 80% of the cases, but unless they go balls to the walls track suspension they wont get the zl1 1le save for the highest speed and longest tracks, and that will be mostly for the magazine numbers, reallity is that 90% of the gt500 owners wont ever step on a track.

Stepping up to the lt5 supercharger would be huge for the camaro, the current lt4 cooling is barely adequate for stock boost, and the lt5 has much better intercoolers, the downside will be that they would have to change the ECU for the one on the ZR1 that uses 8 direct injectors and 8 port injectors like the GEN 3 coyote does.
Sponsored