LT5 DOHC V8 from GM

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
Didn't see a vehicle listed for that engine? Only thing that I noticed was the "9" code designated for that engine was included with the Camaro and Corvette but was "export" only?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
A 6.2L DOHC VVT V8 gives me a boner just thinking about it, too bad the Camaro is so fucking ugly and the Corvette with the powerplant would be far beyond my reach.

Being a lowly engineer sucks, but I guess I love my Mustang GT.....

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
wonder if this is the engine for that mid engine vette. A DOHC cannot fit in the front of a vette. I had been suspecting that they would have to go DOHC, as they are having a hard time getting more out of OHV to meet emissions targets.

OP
OP

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
A 6.2L DOHC VVT V8 gives me a boner just thinking about it, too bad the Camaro is so fucking ugly to my eyes and the Corvette with the powerplant would be far beyond my reach.

Being a lowly engineer sucks, but I guess I love my Mustang GT.....
There ya go. Fixed it for ya lol

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I had been suspecting that they would have to go DOHC, as they are having a hard time getting more out of OHV to meet emissions targets.
Yep, the end of the road is coming for the pushrod engines.....

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I think I read this engine is going in the Chevy Cruze. . . . Can you imagine?

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Link is no good!

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
GM took it down. Basically listed a build code for the new LT5. DOHC 6.2 that is going in the corvette.
It'll be interesting how Zora turns out. Id bet they are going to have some serious teething issues in the DOHC department. Hopefully they learned some since the Northstar hunk of junk.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
It'll be interesting how Zora turns out. Id bet they are going to have some serious teething issues in the DOHC department. Hopefully they learned some since the Northstar hunk of junk.
The thought of a mid engine, NA DOHC 6.2 Corvette is pure sex.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
There better be a DOHC coming, the Mustang walks away from here on out. They are using more displacement and Direct Injection but yielding very little over Fords 5.0. At this point the Voodoo can't be matched and Fords TiVCT is light years ahead of any other fuel saving measure by far. Then again, a DOHC probably isn't going to fit into an Alpha, more about that later.

First off, they want a 6.2 liter DOHC? That's not going to fit in a lot of cars because it is roughly the size of the Trinity. What would a 6.2 DOHC make? Around 600hp probably... that would have been pretty useful before you spent $820,000,000 on the LT Series plus another $50 or $150 million incoming for upgrades. A billion dollars just went into the LT Series Program, you can go ahead and put the same amount aside for a DOHC.

When will this be in a Corvette? It probably won't fit into a front engine version. When can you expect it in a 6th Gen Camaro?? After 2020... and it probably won't be a 6.2 liter engine. More than likely, they are just now starting the development of their in house DOHC V8 to replace the LT Series in 2022-2025-ish. The cost to produce a brand new DOHC V8 would force the engine into volume production for sure. A major issue with the Camaro being the volume car is simply that it isn't selling volumes. Expected to sell 120,000-150,000 a year ended up maybe 70,000. Not only that, the Mustang hasn't even attempted to lose weight yet OR upgrade to DI... and still they are thousands cheaper and offer very unique equipment.

As far as the Alpha goes? It has been extended to some degree already BUT, the Camaro isn't designed to set a DOHC as low as the S550 does. The Alpha is a 4 cylinder platform and it was designed to scale. That said, we can also see with the abundance of sub-frame reinforcement, that both the Camaro and CTS were stretched pretty far. The front needs to be an inch wider anyway and in surprised it wasn't to begin with. A full size car that uses a 63 inch track needs a lot of tire to make up for it.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
After investing $820 million on the LT1 and the very low volume it's expected to sell in, I doubt GM has roughly a $Billion for a brand new engine. In my opinion, it is GM getting the media spinning about a looooooong shot possibility. If it is true, it is a direct acknowledgement that the LT Series engines isn't enough to carry them over a decade. There is absolutely no way anyone in finance would authorize that kinda spending to put them in 250 ZR1's and 500 z28's annually...

First of all, it's a 6.2 liter? Come on man, that's fan bait. Next, consider the cost, I'm just estimating the cost to be a billion because that's what the LT1 was. I doubt it's cheap and what does that truly say about the current V8? It makes it seem like it was an $820 million dollar mistake. A 6.2 is only good for trucks and wider cars, physically it would be much larger than the LS7. Next, they responded rather quickly to the commotion and that's because it's fan bait.

Chevy knows Ford is bring a new Mustang and maybe a GT500. What do they have in reality? A dull exterior with an interior to match and a V8 that's pushing its fuel consumption limits. All of the weight loss occurred at the 1SS level :( They are cheaper and selling 3 to 4 times better and a refresh is coming to move more cars. Global sales will be released soon as well and that's a lot working against the Camaro. They don't have a shot at the Voodoo and they want longevity like the Coyote. The Mustangs Motorsport Program is on fire as well while team Camaro is either a no show or stacking a single class that most claim nobody cares about (untrue). A lot of people love FS and their engineers spend a lot of time in Solo.

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_file.../484/16-fastrack-December-Solo.pdf?1480369347

The Show Season just started... it is very likely that Team Camaro has nothing to show the entire Showcase season :lol: The ZL1LE was shown around August/September and there wasn't any hoop-la to begin with. I can't remember where the showed the ZL1... releasing them kinda together stagnated their own hype I think. Very little attentions were attended ;)
Sponsored