Sponsored

LT1 Vs 5.0 Opinions

Youngmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt DIB
Im curious what people are thinking about the next gen camero and it having the LT1 and how it compares to the 5.0. It's most likely going to have more hp and torque and better mpg. I know this is all speculation but I think its very likely.
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The lt1 is bigger. But the 5.0 has better valve train control.

There is much more Ford can do with the 5.0. But no reason t I give Chevy a target off the hit with the new gen.

And it's sounding increasingly like the voodoo will be from more and more in the not so distant future.

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
well,

it has push rods going for it.. ;)

beers

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
5.0 solely because of the massive amount of tuning options the DOHC VVT gives you. The LT1 is an amazing engine, but it's not nearly as versatile as the 5.0.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
The LT1 is a great engine, that's for sure. DI, cylinder deactivation, tons of low end, tall gearing that allows for great highway mileage, relatively light and compact (although the DI and AFM has increased weight over the LS3).

When I drove the C7 at Ron Fellows Driving School, there were two things I didn't like about it:

First, it seemed to fall a little flat at the top end. This would not be an issue at all in day-to-day driving, but on the track it was noticeable. Not in a way that made the car slow, but it just made the engine feel like it was struggling a little up top. The car is still way faster than a Mustang, but that torque drop at high RPMs was evident to me. The curve is actually very similar to that of my 350Z, which has lots of torque (for its size), but which drops off a bit at the top (pretty much all cars will lose torque up top, but the Coyote and Roadrunner don't lose quite as much, which can make the engine feel more willing).

The second thing I didn't like was the throttle response when rev-matching. The combination of throttle mapping and engine inertia made the "blips" quite a bit slower than I am used to in my Z.

Other than those very minor complaints (and the seemingly high reports of engine failure), the LT1 is a gem of an engine. It, too, probably has a bit left on the table, although for emissions and fuel economy reasons it may not be pushed much higher than it is already. I think the Camaro will be tough to beat with that engine. Ford will really need to work on some high revving magic to get more power in order to stay on top (or go to the 5.2 displacement (not necessarily flat-plan-crank) to get more valve area and displacement).

Still not loving Chazcron's renders of the next Camaro. Given how spot-on he was for the Mustang, I'm guessing he's pretty close on the Camaro as well. I'm currently waiting for the GT350, and I suspect that engine will solve the two concerns I have about the LT1. GM will have to do something very impressive on the Camaro to make me go that route. Doesn't really hold a huge interest at this time.

-T

Sponsored

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
It may turn out like the new charger... They took an amazing/aggresive looking car, and neutered it...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Really scary that Chevy is blaming the oil filter for an engine failure! Can you imagine your 6,000 mile car fails and then the manufacturer says they won't replace the engine because it's the filter's fault? They just don't want to reveal the true failure is what I think.

Two other things that concern me about the LT1:
1. Cylinder deactivation. I don't like this. I think it will tend to glaze the cylinders similar to extended idling or other extremely light usage of an engine.
2. Direct injection can lead to carbon buildup on the valves from crankcase fumes.

waahehe94

We're All Mad...You Know
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Cobra R, Corvette
The average person won't go wrong with either car. The person looking to do a few simple bolt ons while using the car as a daily driver would probably be happy with either car also.

The Camaro will probably appeal more to the hardcore person that likes to race and will probably have a stronger aftermarket as far as performance related parts go IMO. You'll probably see more aftermarket heads, aftermarket camshafts with aggressive profiles, aftermarket valvetrain parts, aftermarket intake manifolds, transmission related items, suspension parts, drivetrain parts, tuning software, power adders and stroker kits for it than the Mustang. The Camaro should also benefit from sharing the engine with the Corvette.

I really get the feeling that Ford is testing the waters right now the EcoBoost Mustang and would probably like to have it as their next generation Mustang GT. I'm old enough to remember when Ford considered replacing the Mustang with the Probe GT and its turbo 4 cylinder engine.

With all of that being said I think the Mustang will probably outsell the Camaro three to one because the Mustang has historically been the more popular car of the two and I don't think the new Camaro will be able to convert as many Honda, Volkswagon or Subaru owners as the Mustang has.

Last edited:

Jason Richardson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Three to one? The Mustang hasn't outsold the Camaro basically since the introduction of the new Camaro. The Camaro has been edging it out virtually every month for the past 5 years.

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Two other things that concern me about the LT1:
1. Cylinder deactivation. I don't like this. I think it will tend to glaze the cylinders similar to extended idling or other extremely light usage of an engine.
Don't buy an automatic and you won't have to worry about it if they follow the design used on the C7. On my C7 I only get AFM if I select ECO mode. Otherwise it's off. If you did have an automatic, you just need a tune or a tuner like the Diablo Sport and turn it off. But in reality displacement on demand is nothing new and there are many models of cars with many, many miles that show no signs of problems.

2. Direct injection can lead to carbon buildup on the valves from crankcase fumes.
Get used to this. DI is coming to everyone. Catch cans and other preventative measures are shown to work.

Sponsored

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Don't buy an automatic and you won't have to worry about it if they follow the design used on the C7. On my C7 I only get AFM if I select ECO mode. Otherwise it's off. If you did have an automatic, you just need a tune or a tuner like the Diablo Sport and turn it off. But in reality displacement on demand is nothing new and there are many models of cars with many, many miles that show no signs of problems.

Get used to this. DI is coming to everyone. Catch cans and other preventative measures are shown to work.

I've been living with DI on my fx4 Eco for the last two years. No issues at all.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Three to one? The Mustang hasn't outsold the Camaro basically since the introduction of the new Camaro. The Camaro has been edging it out virtually every month for the past 5 years.
That's what happens when a Camaro is not built for 8 years.

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
LT1 is impressive on paper. Historically, it's wise to take the AFM crap and throw it in the garbage.

The Coyote is limited in NA form, as 4 cams, porting/valve jobs for 4V heads, etc are expensive...then it's just limited by it's displacement. They do respond well to boost, but $$$, not to mention the added weight. As for engine swap material, they're large externally and top heavy.

I've done a fair amt of work w/ LS engines, and they're a pleasure to work w/...the LT should be similar. A lot of potential w/ simple head/cam swaps. Biggest problem I foresee are the cars they come in being of subpar quality...as is the norm for GM.

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
You hit the nail on the head there!:amen:
It didn't just outsell for 1 year it did for 5 consecutive years though..with the new mustang refresh now it is finally out selling the camaro so don't you think when the 16MY camaro comes around with the lighter weight and lt1 it should outsell the mustang again..it's just a cycle
Sponsored