Lowest Temp to Track SC2's

72&18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
72 Mach 1, 72 F250 2wd, 18 GT350, 22 Bronco 2 Door
I have a track day coming up in a few weeks. Here in the midwest, we are starting to cool off. I am curious what you guys that run SC2's would call the coldest outside air temp to run them for a track day? Also, a sunny track vs. cloudy. I have picked up some used SC2's and want to try them out, but not sure when to leave them home if it turns cold.

Thanks
Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I have had some early March and late October track days when the temperature for the morning sessions was in the 4-10 C (39 to 50F) range and it was sketchy. Basically you are sliding around for 90% of the session and by the time you get SOME temperature into the tire compound the session is over and you are back to square one for the next session. The tires are largely useless below 10C (50F). If it was even slightly damp at those temps I did not go out at all. Foolish to do so. I stick to PSS for these lower temps. A bit less sketchy.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I have a track day coming up in a few weeks. Here in the midwest, we are starting to cool off. I am curious what you guys that run SC2's would call the coldest outside air temp to run them for a track day? Also, a sunny track vs. cloudy. I have picked up some used SC2's and want to try them out, but not sure when to leave them home if it turns cold.
I’ve started a day at 35 degrees with overcast skies and spitting snow….. 4 out of 10, would not recommend. Once the tires got warm it wasn’t horrible. In general, I’d say 45 with sun is good. Just take it slow until you can scrub some heat into them.

For reference, I went through ~14 sets of cup 2’s in my 350 and have run them on my z06 and mini. Love that tire!!

edit to add: We run 30 minute sessions, giving plenty of time to get the tires to temp and continue running. A 20 minute session at 40 degrees is a little harder to get heat into the tires…. But you can think of it as a great opportunity to work on fine throttle control :)

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Anything above 50 is good after 2 laps of pushing to warm them up. Below that it takes more laps to warm them up and is like in the wet, but then you can still run ok. If it’s sub 40-45 as the high I’d just not go.

I have 2 days at Grattan mid Oct and maybe one at Pitt end of Oct weather dependent. Hoping for 55-60as highs for the day.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
just do a burn out leavings pits - you'll be fine
Sponsored