Lowering Springs Installation Labor Costs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James Mendoza
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1
Hey Mustang community,

first time positing on the forums, just got my 21 mustang gt pp1 a year ago today.

so my main question is to anyone that had lowering springs installed into their fine stallion, how much were the total labor costs/ hours for a professional install? I was quoted by a ford dealership that does all performance mods for total $1500 just for spring installation, my gut was telling me “stealership” or high way robbery at that point, chime in let me know if that’s the ballpark or I can get it cheaper and still professionally done

I heard installing lowering springs is a decent diy but I personally do not want the headache of compressing the spring with the spring compressor tool plus I would rather have it done knowing a professional performed on it rather than a novice like me.

thanks mustang family,

James
Sponsored

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I cant chime in for some one else doing the job for me since I did mine myself. But if I was charging a buddy or even a stranger I would say that is way too much $. I have limited tools, they have them all & a lift. I would look else where. That is way too much even if the price of the springs is included.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I think I paid $250 at a not cheap shop 2 years ago without alignment

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
While every shop is going to be different, $1500 is absolutely absurd. I’d imagine $500 being the high end of pricing for a well qualified shop.

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
With the average repair rate at about $140/hour, plenty of one-time-use bolts at dealer prices, alignment, and whatever other fees they can add on I can see $1500.
Independent shops could be much less but take all those new bolts with you because the shop probably won't have them.

OP
OP
jamesmendoza30
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James Mendoza
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1
While every shop is going to be different, $1500 is absolutely absurd. I’d imagine $500 being the high end of pricing for a well qualified shop.
Yeah I figure, every aftermarket car parts site always said lowering springs were “budget” friendly , and when I heard $1500 I was like no way it’s that expensive

CliffClavin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van down by the river
Sometimes shops throw out a “we don’t really want to do it, but give us an amount we can’t refuse and we will.” That’s what this sounds like to me. $500-800 is probably more in line with quotes if you shop around. Or buy all the tools yourself, learn about the car and you get to keep the tools.

OP
OP
jamesmendoza30
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James Mendoza
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1
Sometimes shops throw out a “we don’t really want to do it, but give us an amount we can’t refuse and we will.” That’s what this sounds like to me. $500-800 is probably more in line with quotes if you shop around. Or buy all the tools yourself, learn about the car and you get to keep the tools.
Good way to put it “we don’t really want to do it…but an amount we can’t refuse” haha, and yeah don’t get me wrong I love to work on the gt for mods I think I can handle just I personally would love the peace of mind that a supposed “Trained professional” worked on the more technical parts like suspension and major engine components rather than me scouring through YouTube videos you know?

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
I would never lower a Mustang (or any car for that matter) with only springs, unless you want it to drive like crap.

Sponsored

Chomperr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT ; 2016 Mustang V6 (Sold)
Hey Mustang community,

first time positing on the forums, just got my 21 mustang gt pp1 a year ago today.

so my main question is to anyone that had lowering springs installed into their fine stallion, how much were the total labor costs/ hours for a professional install? I was quoted by a ford dealership that does all performance mods for total $1500 just for spring installation, my gut was telling me “stealership” or high way robbery at that point, chime in let me know if that’s the ballpark or I can get it cheaper and still professionally done

I heard installing lowering springs is a decent diy but I personally do not want the headache of compressing the spring with the spring compressor tool plus I would rather have it done knowing a professional performed on it rather than a novice like me.

thanks mustang family,

James
I have a guy who’s installed springs on 2 Mustangs 3 times for me. He usually charges anywhere from $250-$400 and that includes coming to my garage to do the swap.

Lets say a licensed and insured shop would charge you double those prices. Ford is still overcharging you by a ton. I’d shop around or ask your local car groups where they go.

I would never lower a Mustang (or any car for that matter) with only springs, unless you want it to drive like crap.
Tons of people do and the ride is still the same or even better than stock. Just depends on what you go with.

Last edited:

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT
I paid $600 for installation and alignment and that was probably a little too high.

$1500 is insane

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I paid $400 for installation and alignment at a shop that typically specializes in truck suspensions. The tech that changed mine out also has a Mustang and does all his own work.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
That is an incorrect statement. Mine not only handles & drives better, but you could not tell the difference between the stock springs & the ones I replaced them to. Wife tested. She didnt even notice, she would of complained lol.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Good way to put it “we don’t really want to do it…but an amount we can’t refuse” haha, and yeah don’t get me wrong I love to work on the gt for mods I think I can handle just I personally would love the peace of mind that a supposed “Trained professional” worked on the more technical parts like suspension and major engine components rather than me scouring through YouTube videos you know?
Ford service documents are your friend. Also lowering spring manufacturer likely has a tutorial.

Imma be honest, I pulled my engine, and completely disassembled it from ford service docs, and youtube.

Only "training" I have had is a 1 year highschool auto class that I didn't even show up to second semester. Granted I did disassemble and engine and pull a trans to do a clutch job, but really didn't learn much more than the very basics of engine and car parts.

If I remember correctly the lowering springs weren't bad to do on my mustang. Another option if you have another car is to save some trouble with spring compressing and take the strut and the new springs to a shop, give them $50-$100 bucks to swap the spring. Any local shop should be able to do it. Saves you lots of headaches.

Biggest thing you also need to know is that you need a generic set of metric sockets and a decent sized ratcheting socket wrench (Brake caliper bolts are torqued really high, may even need a breaker bar). You will also need to pickup a ft lb torque wrench to tighten the bolts/nuts. There are a few bolts and nuts that ford says you should replace (for my 15 gt) but I didn't replace them, any many others probably wont. The pain is finding the right ones from ford (https://parts.ford.com/en.html). If you take it to anyone but a dealership they probably won't replace the bolts/nuts unless you bring them and ask. Probably looking at a 200-300 for tools assuming you don't have anything (nuts/bolts shouldn't be much).

If I were you I would think about:
1. How much mods are you likely to do in the future.
2. How much money will you spend on parts and possible labor on said future mods
3. How much money you are willing to spend

If you want to do lots of things (keep in mind modding is addicting and you will likely want to do more) but don't have the money / don't want to spend the money on expensive labor then I would recommend buying tools and setting aside a day or 2 and doing the lowering springs yourself. But if you aren't wanting to do anything else, don't already have tools, and don't mind spending the extra money, then find a shop, make sure they have access to the torque specs and ask them to get you new bolts/nuts or buy new ones and give it to them.

I'm broke as shit so I have no choice. But it honestly worked out for me. Got the mustang knowing absolutely nothing about cars and a year latter was fbo, and now pulled and disassembled the motor to get it machined. (Blew up cause of me choosing to risk and run a bad tune, not because of any of the work).
Here is a list of all the things I did myself: Headers, lowering springs, cranksprocket, oil pump gears, timing chains, engine mount, intake mainfold, cai, blackout badges, cat-back exhaust, valve cover/timing cover gaskets, pulled the motor, and disassembled the motor.

I know I wrote you an essay, but basically my vote is do it yourself.
Sponsored