Sponsored

Lower revs to prevent limp mode?

ducatismo

Ducatismo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Have a 16' Tech and been dealing with the dreaded limp issue during past track days. Sucks. Was wondering if anyone has any experience staying out of limp by simply staying under 7krpm. I know it defeats the purpose of this incredible engine but I understand most heat will come from higher revs. It's along shot but interested if anyone has had any success with this approach.
Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Nope. It only prolongs the session another minute or two and is way less fun.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
^+1 Won't help.

Make the problem go away with an electric pump and Ford trans cooler kit. Just finished mine last week and it works great. Figure about $1k in parts and about 20 hours in labor (about 7 hours of that being building the pump bracket and mentally planning where everything will go).

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Yup what they^ said... unfortunately it won't fix the problem. Staying lower revs and staying in higher gears (at least/mostly in 4th gear) on the track will only aid a little bit by just prolonging the inevitable limp mode. And LM will arrive earlier on more technical or shorter tracks and tracks w/o many high-speed straights.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Don't forget to put in a rear diff cooler if you decide to add a transmission cooler. Otherwise your rear diff will take a dump on you shortly.

Reactions: TDC

Sponsored

car crazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
About 10 years ago I had an Audi S4 that would go into limp mode at the track from the transmission over heating. I found the key was less shifting per lap. Rather than downshift to first at a very slow corner, I'd stay in second, etc. By eliminating a few shifts per lap, I could stay out of limp mode. I have a track pack GT350 so I'm not 100% sure if this applies to the GT350.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
^Yes it does as well to an extent. It will just delay the inevitable limp mode but at least you can get an extra five minutes or so... or maybe even almost an entire session.

When I see guys w/ a Tech pack experience limp mode on the track, I recommend to them to stay at least in 4th gear as much as possible... and low & behold they last longer until LM kicks in. Some of them even stated limp didn't kick in until the final few minutes of the session. Obviously it also depends on the track configuration and ambient conditions and how hard you push it.

Even on slower sections... by staying in higher gears and not downshifting (to 2nd or even 3rd for example) will teach you to maintain momentum through turns and carry/sustain exit speed.

Cammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2001 F-150 Lightning
Get your transmission cooled - you'll be smiling afterwards at the track.

I went whole hog and had the Track Pack tranny installed along with the cooler kit for about $4500 total including labor.

Brian

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Don't forget to put in a rear diff cooler if you decide to add a transmission cooler. Otherwise your rear diff will take a dump on you shortly.
That'll be next. Maybe by August. In the meantime I will switch out the fluid each time.
Sponsored