Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have about 3300 miles on my car at this point. Every morning I have to go through a gate to get to work. When I have the window down and apply the brakes lightly at low speeds to go into the gate I can hear a squealing noise.

Not sure that I need new brake pads at 3000 miles, so what else can I do to stop the noise?
Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I have about 3300 miles on my car at this point. Every morning I have to go through a gate to get to work. When I have the window down and apply the brakes lightly at low speeds to go into the gate I can hear a squealing noise.

Not sure that I need new brake pads at 3000 miles, so what else can I do to stop the noise?
HAHAHA! Oh how I can relate! I also enter a gate every morning and in the GT350 at lower temps it will squeal no matter what you do. It is the nature of the compounds used in the pads. It is a compromise made for better tack performance.

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
yeah I got it to, ubiquitous problem with the 350, due to the pads. I will say for me it seems to go away once the brakes are well heated up.

N123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium
Now I cant say for sure since I don't have a GT350 but just a tip. My GT did the same thing since the day I bought it new at the dealership. Took it into the dealership for service 3 times in which they finally replaced my rotors and the sound was gone. Mind you my car had ~500 miles and it needed done. Just something to think about.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Did you bed your brakes in when you first got the car? As in like...HARD bed in. As in beat them like they owed you money and cheated with your girlfriend beat hard.

The noise is going to be inherent to the brakes themselves because of the compound. It's just something you have to accept but bedding them in right away does help some with noise. Mine sounded like a dump truck when I first drove it off the lot. 200 miles later I abused them like a dirty hooker on autocross and it's not nearly as bad and braking is silky smooth with no shutter or yawing. Only on a cooler day before they get some heated in them do they make much noise.

OP
OP
lemers

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
First I'm glad that I'm not the only one and this is something of a natural noise.

Second, No they most likely were not "bedded". My wife picked up the car when I was deployed.

kratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'56 Victoria, Tahoe, '16 GT350
Same here. It's slightly embarrassing in city traffic and my parking garage. Also seems to be more of an issue on the driver's side. But...just something to live with.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Mine also squeal/squeak at low speeds.

Some options:
1. Try bedding the pads. You can find various procedures online, but the general idea is to gradually get the brakes quite warm, perform several hard "slows" at temp to transfer and even layer of pad material to the rotor, then gradually cool the brakes. You do not want the car to come to a complete stop during this process, as that can create uneven pad deposition which can lead to vibration.

2. You can get brake greases that go on the backside of the pad to damp vibration. If you don't get the brakes warm often, that can work for quite some time. If you get the brakes hot frequently, it may not be a lasting fix.

I choose to live with it. But I've driven for weeks on track pads that are much, much worse, so my annoyance thresholds are probably atypical.

-T

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Once heard a Porsche mechanic tell a service customer that the brakes are for making the car stop... the muffler is for making it quiet.

Squeaks / squeals are just the nature of high-performance pads... grinding / scraping, not that's bad.

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
600 miles on mine. Mine started doing this at about 550 miles. Rolling up to a light or stop sign, I can hear the faint squeal. I bedded the brakes but not as aggressively as described above, "beat them like they owe you money and cheated with your GF." That is funny though. Guess I should give it another go with more intensity. I have yet to test an all out brake pedal mash.

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
I get it all the time, drive me nuts but its something we all deal with.

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Track Package White w/blue stripes
I abused them like a dirty hooker on autocross and it's not nearly as bad
:lol: Now that is funny!!! I'm in agreement with the others...its part and parcel of owning a high performance car. You can try some of the anti squeek compound on the back of the pads but who knows how long that would help. If you don't track it then it could be good for you.:shrug:

Heretoford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 w/tech
same experience here. After a track day however you realize how 'dump truck-like' Brembos and the like actually sound in other cars. A track day might even help convince the squeal is actually kind of cool, sort of. Admittedly I'd also prefer not to have driving around town, but the GT350 brakes are, in the end, freakin' unbelievable.

Lexluther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350
I chamfered my brake pads and no more squeal. Chamfering is removing the 45deg angles so there is no edge to drag and make noise. The pads already have an anti-squeal pad on the back but I also added Mercedes copper brake paste meant for AMG cars with big brembo calipers. I noticed the pad edges were not coated with anything so I also lightly coated them so they slide better and reduce the chances of hanging up and not returning to center. All in all about 30min job for the front which are the ones that make noise. Ford svc will only show you a tsb that its normal to make noise and not touch them other than inspect pad thickness to see if one is dragging or hung up.

https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/squeaky-brakes/

5d1446855158-fs-mercedes-benz-brake-pad-paste-assembly-lubricant-anti-squeal-img_20151106_110356.jpg

chamferEdge.jpg
Sponsored