Loud vs. Sounds Good exhaust

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
After running the Sport catback this weekend I have to admit it is a very nice setup. Kind of a welcome change coming from the Extreme I traded. There is a definite volume and rasp difference between the two. If anything it is too quiet with stock manifolds. To me on stock manifolds any catback quieter than the Sport would be a waste of time. Long tubes were installed this morning and going to pickup tomorrow. I am hoping it ends up being same tone just louder with a touch more rasp. If that happens I will be very happy.
I've heard it in person with catted LTs. It's a bit more trumpety, as all LTs do. Similar volume to the Xtreme at WOT. Definitely less raspy than the Xtreme on stock headers.
Sponsored

pike1346

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 5.0 Premium
I like a 'grumble' / 'growl' in the exhaust; not just blaring silly noise.
To break it down a little. I had a 2017 Mustang GT Premium, and wanted a little more growl to it.

After countless reviews online and listening to sounds and such, I was close to buying a whole new exhaust system ($2.5k). The problem there, once purchased and installed, you're stuck with it (so to speak), like it or not.

All that to say, I just upgraded to a 2018 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack. And the exhaust sound on Sport, for me, is PERFECT! Plus, when leaving home at 05:30 in the morning, the car is set to start on Quiet. Later in the day, I can switch to Normal or Sport+.

Yeah, that Active Exhausted is the thing...!

I personally think too much rasp just sounds bad.
I like a more deeper tone instead of raspy hollow tone.
I changed from Solo Performance Street Race to Mach Thunder. Much better tone.
Same here. I went with RTR street axlebacks with an H-Pipe. Nice deep tone and not too loud

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the Corsa Sports and consider it the best system i’ve experienced. Cold starts sound amazing but idle is very tame. Stay under 3/4K and cops won’t look twice. Push it past 3/4K and the system comes to life. The entire time the sound QUALITY is on point.
Agreed, plus the tone stays steady throughout the rev line...

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard it in person with catted LTs. It's a bit more trumpety, as all LTs do. Similar volume to the Xtreme at WOT. Definitely less raspy than the Xtreme on stock headers.
Got the car back this morning. Definitely louder but has a solid sound to it. I don't know what word to describe but gives a hollow sound at part throttle similar to a Flowmaster, but zero drone. WOT is a much higher pitched sound than with the extreme and stock manifolds. Also noticed it doesn't have the "pickup truck" sound when lugging it at low load like it did before. I am overall very happy. Still on the loud side, but I can make do. I will say I couldn't imagine long tubes with the extreme catback. That would be ridiculously loud, and I am a person that doesn't mind loud lol.

I really don't know what to compare it to sound wise? Part of me thinks in the car it sounds similar to a terminator with a Borla/Bassani exhaust.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Got the car back this morning. Definitely louder but has a solid sound to it. I don't know what word to describe but gives a hollow sound at part throttle similar to a Flowmaster, but zero drone. WOT is a much higher pitched sound than with the extreme and stock manifolds. Also noticed it doesn't have the "pickup truck" sound when lugging it at low load like it did before. I am overall very happy. Still on the loud side, but I can make do. I will say I couldn't imagine long tubes with the extreme catback. That would be ridiculously loud, and I am a person that doesn't mind loud lol.

I really don't know what to compare it to sound wise? Part of me thinks in the car it sounds similar to a terminator with a Borla/Bassani exhaust.
So... you're going to get longtubes next right?

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
What sounds good is so subjective. Some 16 year olds simply want to be loud no matter how trashy it sounds. I'm older, and like things a bit more refined. That is what made it so hard to decide on an exhaust setup. People will say their car sounds good, but that isn't much to go on. They love it but would I? The best way is to experience it yourself if possible. Listen to some cars or ride in them. I wore out YouTube but it still didn't tell the whole story. I ended up going with mufflers only and love it. If it wasn't enough for me, figured I could always add an x pipe. But since then, having heard Mustangs with aftermarket crossover pipes and straight thru mufflers, I'm not a fan of that sound. No regrets. IMO, when in doubt buy quality pieces and stick to kitted setups.

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
I don't like extremely loud exhausts but still thought my '16 was too quiet from the factory. Got Corsa Touring axlebacks and they're the best for me, other than going to an active setup. Sometimes I still want them louder, other times I want them quieter.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
I labored over what catback system to go with. Didn't want drone at high speeds. Disliked the rasp. Didn't want too loud. Wanted it to sound good at idle like it's supposed to sound, and have it sound good when it's at high throttle.

Solo Performance Mach XV for the win:

[ame]

Never been happier. There's no mufflers near the tips at the valance. It's all in the x-pipe resonator near where the stock one is, although smaller and polished stainless. BOTH of my neighbors give me thumbs-up. Wife and kids think it sounds awesome. It gets attention.

Then the J-pipes knock out the drone at high speed. They sit where the mufflers would normally be tucked in place. Fairly easy to install. Hardest part was getting the stock system out, and trying to align the exhaust tips in black.
IMG_1675_small.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
I really like the sound of my Boss, but like the sound of some Maseratis too. Actually, I am working a night job now, up in Riverside, and there is a beater El Camino that drives by a few times a night that sounds really good. The dude likes to get on it too.....I guess I like the right sound, not just a loud one.

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
Louder doesn't mean better.

The coyote engines have a very unique sound and I feel like some exhausts accentuate that sound, while others just miss the mark.

I've heard a bunch of different setups and definitely know what my personal tastes are. (which seems to be of the non-conventional type).

I currently run a MF Comp AB with a custom H-Pipe. It's different than what most people seem to go with and just more of my style.

Although I will say, a full MBRP Race setup with headers and an X in there, is music to my ears. Not the loudest, but oh my god that tone when at WOT.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
A welded exhaust is the key.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score