Sponsored

Loud vs. Sounds Good exhaust

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I don't agree. If that was true, everyone would have an Ecoboost. The V8 is still around because there no other sounds like it. It's like playing music. The human ear likes a certain tempo and series of notes. It's science yo!
Hogwash. Almost every single person in here would you have paid extra for their 5.0 to sound like a GT350 given the option (rhetorical).

Sound is part of the driving experience...and a major reason there are so many exhaust options for the 5.0 mustang. The MY15-17 sounded too tame.

An exhaust doesn't have to be overly loud to sound good. The reason I choose the Corsa Sports is because (for me) they hit the perfect balance of volume and sound. I can make them burble on command, can tame it down to stock and can make it load and raspy all with altering shift points and moving my right foot.

It was said in the context of 'loundness' not quality of sound :)

Context, context, context.

Refer OP's first sentence in particular

I am a firm believer that too many car enthusiasts think that louder is better when it comes to exhaust note. I think that some exhaust notes sound good, some sound just loud, and that louder is not always better. I think the sound of my Boss is really just about perfect. I liked the GT500 sound from a few years ago too. Some people seem to add pipes and equipment just to make their car louder, and loud to me does not always equate to better. :tsk:

So, louder is better or nice burbling sound over pure volume?

Dave
Sponsored

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428
Roush axlebacks and Ford X pipe on an automatic GT are by far best sounding exhaust out there. So loud yet crazy rumble and pops. Manual sounds good too but not as deep and no pops

Last edited:

bigd5783

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue EcoBoost Vert
As an Ecoboost owner I am fighting with this substantially. I really don't want loud and obnoxious. I want something that increases flow and HP while at the same time stays quiet enough to not sound like a damn Honda. So far the catless downpipe has added some decent numbers and is a bit louder. Not really obnoxious yet so I guess we will see.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
It was said in the context of 'loundness' not quality of sound :)

Context, context, context.

Refer OP's first sentence in particular
I was going entirely off of your quote:

Sound means nothing if it isn't improving power!
Perhaps you means “loudness” regather than “sound” where I could somewhat agree. Loudness however is also one of those influences on how a car makes you feel while driving. Too much is just as bad as too little.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
For me if I'm slow or cruising I want quiet. Some sound is good at wot.

No sense in making a ton of noise when stuck in traffic.

A tesla will do 0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds without too much sound. I've heard it feels amazing.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hogwash. Almost every single person in here would you have paid extra for their 5.0 to sound like a GT350 given the option (rhetorical).

Sound is part of the driving experience...and a major reason there are so many exhaust options for the 5.0 mustang. The MY15-17 sounded too tame.

An exhaust doesn't have to be overly loud to sound good. The reason I choose the Corsa Sports is because (for me) they hit the perfect balance of volume and sound. I can make them burble on command, can tame it down to stock and can make it load and raspy all with altering shift points and moving my right foot.
I agree! Love my Corsa Sport

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Borla Touring Catback, perfect balance, nice low muscle car sound with a gurgle and plenty loud when you hit the gas. Plus you all can still stay classy san diego ;)

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I have heard loud sound good and sound bad. I have heard quiet sound good and sound bad. Exhaust is mainly a personally choice. It is SOUND, which coincidentally is also what music is. Everyone has their preference. I for one like the sound of my Corsa and can't stand the sound of the MBPR. No different than saying I like the sound of Five Finger Death punch and can't stand the sound of (insert any country singer here).

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Roush axlebacks and Ford X pipe on an automatic GT are by far best sounding exhaust out there. So loud yet crazy rumble and pops. Manual sounds good too but not as deep and no pops
Uh... what? :crazy:

Trust me, the Roush axlebacks have plenty of pops and sounds plenty deep too.

Traditionally, manual cars have always sounded better because you can control rpms.

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP

Traditionally, manual cars have always sounded better because you can control rpms.
Yeah, my Roushies have plenty of rumble and pop.

Sponsored

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428

What are you talking about lol? Did I say otherwise? I literally said Roushes pairs with an xpipe are the best sounding exhausts with nice rumbles and pops?

8915GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I just think there are a lot of options people choose from some bad and some good. If the exhaust sounds good, I like it somewhat loud but not Catless loud on a DD. To me an exhaust that is just a little louder than stock is a waste, if you can not tell someone has an aftermarket exhaust at idle, it is also a waste but that just my opinion.

Plus everyone's tastes in exhaust note is different, for example, the below quote, I do do not like the way Roush axle-backs sound however a lot of people do.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
FWIW, I was at Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach the year before last. I have never heard so many obnoxiously loud cars outside a race track in my life. Can't imagine how any one could go on a drive of more than an hour in those cars.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

FWIW, I was at Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach the year before last. I have never heard so many obnoxiously loud cars outside a race track in my life. Can't imagine how any one could go on a drive of more than an hour in those cars.
Easy, they are already deaf :lol:

arfabe16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
So, I agree loud isn't always better. I do love the sound of some loud systems, but they just won't work for me. The Mustang is my daily driver, I drive in stop-and-go traffic every afternoon, and I live in a nice quiet neighborhood. I can't have the loudest system ever, but I hate how quiet the stock exhaust is.

So... what's my best option for a non-raspy cat-back? I want a cat-back because I like the idea of a quick install and I'd rather replace the whole thing with high quality stainless than cut up the stock exhaust system to remove the resonator or add axle-backs, etc.

I'm thinking something with an H-pipe would be better than an X-pipe since I want no rasp (I love the deeper-sounding systems), but there are such few cat-backs with H-pipes available.

Loudness-wise, I want "clearly not stock" but on the bottom end of that (something as loud as the Borla Touring, for example).

Any suggestions? TIA!
Sponsored