Sponsored

Loud Exhaust on A10 GTs?

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
So I have a 2019 GT A10 and within the first few weeks of getting it (this was like June 2020), I decided to put on a Roush axleback as well as a H-pipe which made the car really loud and the cold starts almost obnoxious. But I like the sound of it a ton however I've had some concerns with the automatic transmission side of things.

Does anybody feel that having a super loud exhaust is at time frustrating on an automatic just because the exhaust note just doesn't sound pleasant when the car wants to shift too fast and stays in a particular gear for like only a second before going to the next? Do you know what I mean? When coming off a red light, the exhaust sounds good off the bat but then it upshifts too fast and then it just doesn't sound great at all -- and it's obviously amplified with the louder exhaust (by the way this is in Sport mode, not normal so there's no skipping of gears cause that sounds even worse with a loud exhaust).

Anyways, I've just been thinking weather to go back to a stock setup or not cause I still have the factory mufflers and the resonator. Anyone feel the same with the A10s and loud exhausts? I know I could've just went with a manual and not had these concerns but I just got a great deal on this specific car so that's a moot point. Oh and I also know I could just use paddles all the time, and it does obviously allow me to choose when to upshift but going through 10 gears while in the city is just not practical all the time.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
What mode are you driving in? Sport+ holds the gears longer, and sounds really good when downshifting.
Yeah the downshifts sound amazing in Sport or Sport+ mode. I'm mainly talking about accelerating and those upshifts in the lower gears when the exhaust is the loudest and more easily heard. It's weird to explain, but the sudden upshifts just make the exhaust note sound not as good as a more consistent holding of gears would sound. And I know Sport is meant to hold gears longer, but I still get those quick upshifts in that mode (unless I really push the accelerator down at a red light, but I'd rather not drag race off every light lol). Part throttle (normal driving) causes the quicker upshifts. Not sure if it's cause I have a tune or not, but yeah it's those quick upshifts that just make the exhaust note not pleasing. I was just seeing if anyone with an A10 and a loud aftermarket exhaust felt the same way.

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I have an manual so I can't really comment about you question, however I have the same setup on my 16. It sounded really good with the axle back, after putting on the H-pipe it was so much louder. It's almost obnoxious, but it's just the right amount of obnoxious for me. My neighbors may have a different opinion.

If it really bothers you, I'd suggest putting the resonator back on first and see if it's tame enough for you.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I have a roush catback and a 10r80..i drive in track mode 100% of the time. Car always sounds great to me, either in auto shift or manual shift mode. Maybe try it in track mode and see if the different shift points make it better for you?

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
I would put the shifter in S and use the paddle shifters if you want more control over the exhaust note. You can hold the gears as long as you want that way.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
A10 shifts too fast at too low of an rpm when your just slowly cruising around. What I do when cruising around town is put it into S mode and manually shift so it holds the gears longer.

Or what the guy above me said.

Dudie7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I literally just finished putting Steeda Axle Backs w/H-pipe on and it sounds amazing. Relatively quiet when I'm just cruising around and sheer pony car nirvana when I nail it, especially in Sport mode. I've witnessed what you're talking about with the A10 as it progresses through the gears in normal mode but it still sounds awesome to me. I stay in Sport+ 100% of the time and didn't notice it as much.

Cheezzy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shaun
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt- 401a, PP1, A10, Active exhaust
I got Corsa Extremes on my 19 GT with AE. I drive in sport or sport+ most of the time with the exhaust on track. I think it sounds good regardless of what mode or how I'm driving.

I find myself wishing it was louder. LOL

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Is the issue that it's too harsh and blatty on upshifts? You can try putting the stock resonator back on to help, I wouldn't go all the way back to stock though.

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Thanks for all the input everyone.

The issue isn't that the upshifts are harsh, it's more like the shift schedule isn't to my liking because it shifts too quick (time wise) in normal city driving (in sport mode) and that just makes the exhaust note unpleasant to my ears when going through the lower gears. It's pretty hard to explain if I'm not being clear enough so maybe I'll take a video soon enough to see if I can try and get the exhaust noise/note and what it does when accelerating off a red light to see if that will explain it better. If I were to explain it with words, this is what happens off a red light in terms of my shifting with the '-' representing the seconds

1-------2-------3----4--5

That's when the exhaust is the loudest in those lower gears and as you can see, shifting from 1 to 2 to 3 has good spacing and makes the note sound amazing but then that insta shift from 4-5 (just using an example. but it's usually 3-4 or 4-5) makes it sound off. And yeah a paddle would definetely fix this issue, I know, but I'm just wishing there was a way to make the auto just hold a gear for a minimum amount of time or something.

And as for completely going back to stock. I agree it's the last thing I want to do with this car. I'm coming from a very boring eco I4 Honda that you couldn't hear at all and I've loved this exhaust on my first V8 so going back to a quieter exhaust just isn't the route I really want to go.

Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
I'm running S-types with an H-pipe and I can kind of relate. I don't mind so much right off the line. Mine just drives me nuts while it's hunting, and sounds like I have absolutely no idea what gear I want to be in when cruising. It's a constant ear piercing to quiet to ear piercing and so on. Can only imagine it driving others nuts lol. (But to be honest, I swear my A10 never has ANY idea what gear to be in. Holds some gears for FAR too long, like 15+ seconds, and sometimes it shifts itself too quickly and then gets hung up trying to downshift and upshift at the same time -.-)

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
My honest opinion (being that 18 plus cars are louder) is either do the resonator delete OR axle back. Not both.

My only complaint w/ a10 is the occasional rev match downshifts coming to a stop in Drive. Have not worked with tuner to sort out drivability stuff. Once on the gas it never feels like it is hunting for right gear to be in?? Drive will skip gears under light to moderate throttle while Sport hammers through them all.

Running straight e85 makes the car so much peppier 1500-3000 rpm range with the added torque. fyi

Last edited:
OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
I'm running S-types with an H-pipe and I can kind of relate. I don't mind so much right off the line. Mine just drives me nuts while it's hunting, and sounds like I have absolutely no idea what gear I want to be in when cruising. It's a constant ear piercing to quiet to ear piercing and so on. Can only imagine it driving others nuts lol. (But to be honest, I swear my A10 never has ANY idea what gear to be in. Holds some gears for FAR too long, like 15+ seconds, and sometimes it shifts itself too quickly and then gets hung up trying to downshift and upshift at the same time -.-)
Yes! I'm glad someone else understands the issue lol. Are you tuned at all or on stock?

^ And yeah I'm debating putting the suitcase res back on but keeping the axle backs. Maybe just going slightly quieter will mask the issue a bit.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Yes! I'm glad someone else understands the issue lol. Are you tuned at all or on stock?

^ And yeah I'm debating putting the suitcase res back on but keeping the axle backs. Maybe just going slightly quieter will mask the issue a bit.
Currently stock. Actually looking at picking up another lund E85 tune. I love my exhaust note, but man the trans just nearly makes it embarrassing.

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Currently stock. Actually looking at picking up another lund E85 tune. I love my exhaust note, but man the trans just nearly makes it embarrassing.
Ah okay. Funny enough that's exactly the tune I have is a Lund E85. But I don't think my "issues" are tune related. Your issues of searching for gears sounds worse than what I'm complaining about so hopefully the tune helps you out in that aspect.

My main issue is just off acceleration and the non-consistent timing of the earlier gears. Once it's passed 5th or 6th or so, you can't really hear it with normal throttle and it goes through the rest of my gears just fine with no complaints.
Sponsored