Lots of mustangs in drifting ??

dave95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
Kind of a random thought but I feel like whenever I watch a drifting competition online or even one of those drift challenge shows that last a season or two , there’s always a decent amount of mustangs which surprised me since I never viewed this as a great drift car given its weight . Any reason it’s so common ?
Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I don't follow drifting but what I can think of is it's great for people starting out because they're cheap and have decent torque.

The pro ones would not be heavy. I'm sure those are basically tube chassis cars at that point or have so much weight reduction, it's no longer a concern

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
The main reason why you see them is because Ford is an OEM sponsor for all of the pro drifters (in Formula Drift) you see in S550 mustangs. Vaughn Gittin JR, Justin Pawlak, etc. Through sponsorship of those cars other drifters have realized they are capable chassis so more people are drifting them.

Yes they are heavy, but as mentioned above when stripped down and tube frame front and rear they're not that bad. Also in Formula Drift they tie tire width (grip) to chassis weight so the weight of the car is less of a problem as your'e allowed wider tires.

OP
OP

dave95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
The main reason why you see them is because Ford is an OEM sponsor for all of the pro drifters (in Formula Drift) you see in S550 mustangs. Vaughn Gittin JR, Justin Pawlak, etc. Through sponsorship of those cars other drifters have realized they are capable chassis so more people are drifting them.

Yes they are heavy, but as mentioned above when stripped down and tube frame front and rear they're not that bad. Also in Formula Drift they tie tire width (grip) to chassis weight so the weight of the car is less of a problem as your'e allowed wider tires.
That’s pretty interesting just was always curious as to why I see so many , makes sense now thanks!

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Yeah for anyone who’s not watched it I’d recommend giving it a shot. They’re all 1000hp+ these days with so much tear grip they lift the inside front tire when they’re on power. Vaughn Gittin is a life long mustang fan and was drifting fox bodies when no other drifters would touch them.

Check out the opening shot of this vid:

Mustang Tandem:

Sponsored

OP
OP

dave95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
Yeah for anyone who’s not watched it I’d recommend giving it a shot. They’re all 1000hp+ these days with so much tear grip they lift the inside front tire when they’re on power. Vaughn Gittin is a life long mustang fan and was drifting fox bodies when no other drifters would touch them.

Check out the opening shot of this vid:

Mustang Tandem:
It’s crazy how they control 1000 horsepower cars sideways like that, what engine do you think these mustangs use ? Normal 5.0 or the 5.2

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Neither. They’re Roush Yates RY45 engines. I don’t think anyone has enough development into coyote architecture to reliably produce 900-1000hp NA reliably.

DevinThompson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
The rise in popularity is also due to mustangs getting old enough/cheap enough. Same reason corvettes are really catching on in drifting too. I’m mainly talking s197, s550, and c5, c6. sn95 are popular too.

You get a factory installed v8, in a robust chassis and driveline, lsd is usually standard. With minimal mods like suspension and steering angle, you have a great entry level drift car. Oh, and the prices of Nissan 240sx have really gone wild…

I love drifting, but it rarely gets any love on this forum.

DevinThompson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Agreed! The FRS/BRZ/GT86 are fantastic little cars, especially for track use. I considered buying one a few years back, but ended up with with a 2011 GT.

I follow Formula D and grassroots drifting stuff as well. I don’t understand how a car guy could not enjoy drifting. But you’ll see a lot of negative comments on how stupid it looks or how it’s just wasting tires, Not a real Motorsport, yada yada yada…

OP
OP

dave95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
Neither. They’re Roush Yates RY45 engines. I don’t think anyone has enough development into coyote architecture to reliably produce 900-1000hp NA reliably.
Ahh I figured maybe they were boosted 5.0’s

Sponsored
OP
OP

dave95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
The rise in popularity is also due to mustangs getting old enough/cheap enough. Same reason corvettes are really catching on in drifting too. I’m mainly talking s197, s550, and c5, c6. sn95 are popular too.

You get a factory installed v8, in a robust chassis and driveline, lsd is usually standard. With minimal mods like suspension and steering angle, you have a great entry level drift car. Oh, and the prices of Nissan 240sx have really gone wild…

I love drifting, but it rarely gets any love on this forum.
Yeah 240’s are almost impossible to find or the asking price is three fold what I’d want to pay for one , I’ve never done any drifting but have always been interested in it .

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
People saw how well they drifted into crowds after cars and coffee, so it was a natural progression.

OP
OP

dave95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
I bought my S550 for the specific purpose of building a drift car. Mine is a Ecoboost and is very much in the spirit of a S chassis. We jokingly call it the S16.

47F8E5D3-C592-409E-A0F0-B3FBD4948D6D.jpeg
That’s so cool man , I’m curious what made you choose the eco over a 5.0 I always thought guys swapped ls’s or v8’s in general into all the drift cars

pudvahh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
That’s so cool man , I’m curious what made you choose the eco over a 5.0 I always thought guys swapped ls’s or v8’s in general into all the drift cars
I suppose maybe at the pro level they are mostly v8s or v8 swapped but even the there are a number of cars that are not. Mostly at least 6 cylinders though. At the grassroots level there is no need for 1000+ hp. Most would probably agree that lower power cars are more fun and rewarding to drift. As far as my reasoning to go eco over V8, I wanted something that was close to the turbo 4cyl Japanese cars of the 90s and early 2000s, but more modern. I’d also be lying if said cost was not a factor, I picked this car up for about half of what a comparable GT was going for.
Sponsored