OP

dave95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
I suppose maybe at the pro level they are mostly v8s or v8 swapped but even the there are a number of cars that are not. Mostly at least 6 cylinders though. At the grassroots level there is no need for 1000+ hp. Most would probably agree that lower power cars are more fun and rewarding to drift. As far as my reasoning to go eco over V8, I wanted something that was close to the turbo 4cyl Japanese cars of the 90s and early 2000s, but more modern. I’d also be lying if said cost was not a factor, I picked this car up for about half of what a comparable GT was going for.
Honestly I think it’s cool as shit man what your doing and yeah nothing currently made is comparable jdm wise that’s new , maybe a brz but even that severely lacks power and would cost a good amount to turbo and build up , ecoboost really is the best 4 cylinder drift platform
Sponsored

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
I bought my S550 for the specific purpose of building a drift car. Mine is a Ecoboost and is very much in the spirit of a S chassis. We jokingly call it the S16.

47F8E5D3-C592-409E-A0F0-B3FBD4948D6D.jpeg
Ha same on the S16! My build thread on another site is titled as such. This drivetrain in an S15 would be rad too. We used to build SR’s for $10k that did not hold up as well as these motors bone stock.

If you’ve not done so though I’d recommend head studs. The head bolts and open deck block combined on these motors is the one flaw IMO that needs to be addressed for everyday thrashing reliably.

pudvahh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Ha same on the S16! My build thread on another site is titled as such. This drivetrain in an S15 would be rad too. We used to build SR’s for $10k that did not hold up as well as these motors bone stock.

If you’ve not done so though I’d recommend head studs. The head bolts and open deck block combined on these motors is the one flaw IMO that needs to be addressed for everyday thrashing reliably.
Used too?? We still do lol. And yeah a built motor is in the plans for the future, just running this one into the ground first. My car is a early build 2015 even still its going strong for now.
Sponsored