Sponsored

Lost screw that holds CDC light bar in place - replacement at Home Depot!

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Figured I would share my story in case any of you find yourselves needing a replacement screw for the CDC light bar.

The plastic trim piece on the inside of the light bar was falling down on the passenger side, so i've been trying to fix it. Tried with crazy glue and zip ties to hold it in place but a couple days later it fell down again.

66607272_752747025144396_3258054064943923200_n.jpg

So I reached out to CDC and they said it's a common occurrence and told me to put some cardboard around the trim and push it back in. So I thought, why not. Might as well give it a try.

I didn't take a picture of it, so here's the picture they sent me so you know what I'm talking about and for future reference.

Cardboard%20on%20Tee-Moulding.JPG

Anyways, I thought I would take out the light bar so I could work on it inside the house. In doing so, I unscrewed the little screw that holds it in place too much and it fell. Ooops. I tore up the car, removing the rear seats, all the plastic panels, using a magnetic tool. Couldn't find the bastard. Also don't hear it rattling so I can live without it I guess. But now I needed a new screw.

The screw is a hex head 1/4 head, 1/2" diameter standard. But I could not find anything at home depot that would be so little. Instead, I found this big mother.

65879206_628460927659580_6102576094374789120_n.jpg

It has a 3/8" hex head, it's longer and will not easily get lost. It fits perfectly well, holds the light bar in place, does not hit anything within the rear panel so the car could be put back together well - and it's easier to see and tighten when it's all put back together. So I think it works. Although I did pay $5.xx per each of these screws (I only needed one but got matching set so both sides would be the same).

Thought I would share in case anyone needs this.

EDIT: the cardboard solution worked perfectly well.
Sponsored

Rippermac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible PP A10
Good call.. I lost the one on the passenger side whilst I took it apart to run wires for my sub and lo and behold did same thing you did. Luckily I found mine buried under wire bundle and not where I was expecting. Definitely will need to get some of these for the next time I get in there. As a note I have the same problem with my light bar.. not so happy about the cardboard fix.. I'll see what else I can do in the fall and in the meantime I will just keep popping it in every time I drive.

OP
OP
trojannemo

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Nice!.. THNX 4 sharing. Take a pic of final assembly if possible
As soon as I have a need to take off the light bar and pry off the plastic panel, I will make sure to do that. But I've done that so many times i'm trying to avoid messing with the panels unless it's necessary as i keep breaking tabs.

Good call.. I lost the one on the passenger side whilst I took it apart to run wires for my sub and lo and behold did same thing you did. Luckily I found mine buried under wire bundle and not where I was expecting. Definitely will need to get some of these for the next time I get in there. As a note I have the same problem with my light bar.. not so happy about the cardboard fix.. I'll see what else I can do in the fall and in the meantime I will just keep popping it in every time I drive.
They made it seem like it's a common issue - which begs the question why the hell haven't they fixed it if they know about it? The cardboard fix worked for me - but it's been less than a week. Let's see how long it lasts.

bee bop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 GT Vert, 2016 GT Vert
I had the same drooping trim on mine. I put some pieces of a business card in and it has been holding for over a year..
Sponsored