Sponsored

Lost power after 2nd gear pull, fan started blowing loud air even when engine is turned off

hope5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Today I did a 2nd gear pull going 40mph, all of a sudden the car lost power for a second and I was able to get it back after slapping it on D. I own a 10speed Mustang GT. After the quick pull, I pulled to the side of the road to take pictures of the car and heard my fan for the first time ever while my car ignition was off. It did this for 10minutes and eventually when I turned accessory on and off it disappeared. Can someone explain what happened and if I should be worried? Thanks.
Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
CEL? How did the CHT look? Oil temp/pressure OK? Look at all your indicators. They are there for you to see on your own.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
all of a sudden the car lost power for a second and I was able to get it back after slapping it on D.
Sounds like traction control chopped the throttle.......

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Sounds like traction control chopped the throttle.......
Yeah I agree but the OP doesnā€™t indicate that his car is anything but stock nor does he say where he was in second gear when this occurred. My stock 2020 A10 car with 3.15s will spin and get a little ass-happy going in to second gear (with TC off in drag mode) but regains her composure pretty quickly on the pull.

A little more information would be helpful.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Once when I was stock leaving the gas station I got on it after I hit the street and car bucked and pulled power. Scared me to death so I pulled over to see what broke. Everything looked good so I fired it back up and everything was fine. Never happened again. I wouldn't sweat it unless it keeps happening.

Sponsored

OP
OP
hope5oh

hope5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
CEL? How did the CHT look? Oil temp/pressure OK? Look at all your indicators. They are there for you to see on your own.
Thanks for your response. Everything looked good when I checked my only worry was hearing the fan working hard after turning off the engine. I understand its normal for the fan to keep going after turning off the engine but it was so loud I could hear it from my driver seat windows down when I pulled over.

OP
OP
hope5oh

hope5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Yeah I agree but the OP doesnā€™t indicate that his car is anything but stock nor does he say where he was in second gear when this occurred. My stock 2020 A10 car with 3.15s will spin and get a little ass-happy going in to second gear (with TC off in drag mode) but regains her composure pretty quickly on the pull.

Thanks for your response. 10r80 is stock under the hood. Downshifted from 3rd to 2nd gear around 35mph and went 3/4 throttle (dont think I redlined and was going about 45mph when the power cut off occurred). My worry is more towards why the fan was so loud after, wasn't driving that spiritedly before this pull that only lasted like less than 10seconds šŸ˜‚

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for your response. Everything looked good when I checked my only worry was hearing the fan working hard after turning off the engine. I understand its normal for the fan to keep going after turning off the engine but it was so loud I could hear it from my driver seat windows down when I pulled over.
If the fan decibel level was higher than you normally hear, the CHT would have reflected this. Guessing over 215-220Ā°F.....

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A

I don't know i had a major pucker moment with mine 2 months ago at about 75 mph. Pavement was cold but dry and just below freezing. Punched it (but not full) at 75 and the ass broke loose and started fish tailing side to side and I was sure I was going to lose it. Car was in Sport and all nannies on and they did nada.

All this to say it could easily be TC kicking in as the car can break traction with ease. I'm on Stock Pzero Neros and they are gone after it comes out of storage in a couple of months. Lessen learned :)

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Find an empty parking lot and with advance track on try to do a donut. You will think the car is falling apart from all the clunking and banging. You will not be able to spin out.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Find an empty parking lot and with advance track on try to do a donut. You will think the car is falling apart from all the clunking and banging. You will not be able to spin out.
Lol mine didn't clunk and bang but it will keep setting rear brakes to keep you from doing it. Once TC/esc is full off then you can whip it all day long

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I don't know i had a major pucker moment with mine 2 months ago at about 75 mph. Pavement was cold but dry and just below freezing. Punched it (but not full) at 75 and the ass broke loose and started fish tailing side to side and I was sure I was going to lose it. Car was in Sport and all nannies on and they did nada.

All this to say it could easily be TC kicking in as the car can break traction with ease. I'm on Stock Pzero Neros and they are gone after it comes out of storage in a couple of months. Lessen learned :)
That traction loss at 75 could well have been from a downshift.

Donā€™t ask me how I know.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Cold road, cold tires...... yes the advance track can't keep up.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Fan on after the ignition is shut off drives me batty. Have the same thing as the OP happen from time to time. Cycling the power on/off usually kills the fan. These damn cars eat batteries fast enough as it is. They don't need 15 Amp fan motors making things worse.
Sponsored