Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
After two years of living in our new home I am finally getting around to completing the garage project. The first order of business was to install a work bench and some cabinetry. Decided upon "Redline" garage systems as they are very high quality and will not rust or corrode with the Wisconsin hot and cold environment. I also wanted to avoid having to drill hole for hooks, etc in the finished garage walls. This is the first home i've owned that had actual drywall and plaster panels. Once again went with Redline's Slatwall system which offers a large variety of choices when it comes to hooks, baskets, shelving, etc.
Here are some pics after getting the slat wall and cabinetry completely finished.
Now I have to start purchasing more slat wall accessories, organizing all of the cabinets (they are a mess) as well as getting some Ford Mustang/Shelby bling on the walls. More to come.
20220925_010318322_iOS.jpg
20220925_010320988_iOS.jpg

20220925_010324087_iOS.jpg
20220925_010420236_iOS.jpg
20220925_010426236_iOS.jpg
20220925_010433352_iOS.jpg
20220925_010447151_iOS.jpg
20220925_010454616_iOS.jpg
20220925_010459724_iOS.jpg

20220906_212009751_iOS.jpg

20220925_010310349_iOS.jpg

20220925_010315722_iOS.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Installed a Natural Gas powered heater for the cold wisconsin winters. Looking forward to being able to work in the garage this fall/winter and actually do some maintenance/cleanup on the Shelby.
20220925_010510521_iOS.jpg

20221003_144010494_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Sorted through my Mustang signs/memorabilia of items to hang in the garage. Came across this running pony mustang logo which was originally red, white and blue american flag themed. Nothing against the colors, but wanted to have the iconic Metallic Silver running pony logo. Bought some metallic primer/paint and finished it off today.
20220925_010851588_iOS.jpg
20221001_175358216_iOS.jpg

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Nice work on the garage mate, looking good! :clap:

Would love to have climate control in my garage, owing the very unique arrangement of mine, I can't really install A/C.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! IT's a work in progress.... no AC in mine but the heater was essential due to the very cold winters here. I am installing a ceiling fan for the summer months when it gets a bit hot. Just can't justify AC for only 2-3 months out of the year....

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Thanks! IT's a work in progress.... no AC in mine but the heater was essential due to the very cold winters here. I am installing a ceiling fan for the summer months when it gets a bit hot. Just can't justify AC for only 2-3 months out of the year....
Mine is a work in progress too, every little change is like a minor victory for me. It's officially called a garage but I call it my "Therapy Center".

IMG-2691.jpg

IMG_3892.jpg

As for fans, I'm looking at getting one of the EGO fans for the coming summer.

EGO 18" Misting Fan | Portable Fan | Obsessed Garage

egofan101.jpg

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Nice, looks great. Is that Swiss Trax Flooring?
Thanks, I have really enjoyed the process.

The flooring is Swisstrax, installed last Christmas.

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

Never thought I would do something like that, but I really love it. If you did a lot of fabrication or woodworking, I wouldn't recommend it. I'm a detailer, so it's really good for that sort of thing.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I have really enjoyed the process.

The flooring is Swisstrax, installed last Christmas.

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

Never thought I would do something like that, but I really love it. If you did a lot of fabrication or woodworking, I wouldn't recommend it. I'm a detailer, so it's really good for that sort of thing.
Can I ask what color scheme you went with for the tiles? I am trying to match my shelby color scheme and this looks perfect...

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Can I ask what color scheme you went with for the tiles? I am trying to match my shelby color scheme and this looks perfect...
I went with Slate Grey for the bulk of the floor, which looks a touch blue in the pics but is a matte grey in person. The boarder is Jet Black.

They also offer Pearl Silver and Pearl Grey; however, the Pearl tones tend to be a bit shinier and potentially show dirt or footprints more. If you are trying to do something to match the car, they offer Royal Blue and Island Blue. Royal is a brighter blue, Island will be closer to the FP Blue of your GT350. My supplier offers free samples so that you can see the colors in person.

Ribtrax Pro Interlocking Floor Tile | Swisstrax

The company that retails these in Australia draws up a scale drawing which also calculates how many tiles are needed. There are plenty of video install videos on Youtube. The install is easy, but those videos help guide you on where to start laying from and setting up the layout; you don't want to get halfway down and realize you have orientated the tiles in the wrong direct.

We unpacked the boxes into my truck the day before install, that really helped with the install efficiency. My old man kept feeding me tiles, allowing me to stay on my knees and just snap the tiles together.

IMG-1871.jpg

IMG-0093.jpg

The time-consuming part is making the cuts. My garage is very uniquely shaped, I needed to make more cuts than most. I used a compound miter saw, intricate or relieving cuts are actually best done with a sharp utility knife as it offers a cleaner and more exact cut, something I learnt halfway along.

floor100.jpg

floor101.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

Even though my knees were sore for a week, I had a ball installing the floor. I still walk out there and can't believe that I did it. I could not be happier with the look and functionality of what the floor offers.

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I went with Slate Grey for the bulk of the floor, which looks a touch blue in the pics but is a matte grey in person. The boarder is Jet Black.

They also offer Pearl Silver and Pearl Grey; however, the Pearl tones tend to be a bit shinier and potentially show dirt or footprints more. If you are trying to do something to match the car, they offer Royal Blue and Island Blue. Royal is a brighter blue, Island will be closer to the FP Blue of your GT350. My supplier offers free samples so that you can see the colors in person.

Ribtrax Pro Interlocking Floor Tile | Swisstrax

The company that retails these in Australia draws up a scale drawing which also calculates how many tiles are needed. There are plenty of video install videos on Youtube. The install is easy, but those videos help guide you on where to start laying from and setting up the layout; you don't want to get halfway down and realize you have orientated the tiles in the wrong direct.

We unpacked the boxes into my truck the day before install, that really helped with the install efficiency. My old man kept feeding me tiles, allowing me to stay on my knees and just snap the tiles together.

IMG-1871.jpg

IMG-0093.jpg

The time-consuming part is making the cuts. My garage is very uniquely shaped, I needed to make more cuts than most. I used a compound miter saw, intricate or relieving cuts are actually best done with a sharp utility knife as it offers a cleaner and more exact cut, something I learnt halfway along.

floor100.jpg

floor101.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

Even though my knees were sore for a week, I had a ball installing the floor. I still walk out there and can't believe that I did it. I could not be happier with the look and functionality of what the floor offers.

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg
Awesome, thank you for all of the information. My goal is to plan and design this winter and install in spring. I'm not sure if you are familiar with Matt from Obsessed Garage but he swears by this product and I think his go to colors are the slate gray and black border. I am wondering if there is a way to put the blue you mentioned in as an accent color along with the slate gray and black. Not into the red and white or flashy colors. I did not know that you could cut these with an exacto knife blade- i thought they would be too hard. I don't have a miter saw, so would have to rent one or figure something else out....

CarbonZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Awesome, thank you for all of the information. My goal is to plan and design this winter and install in spring. I'm not sure if you are familiar with Matt from Obsessed Garage but he swears by this product and I think his go to colors are the slate gray and black border. I am wondering if there is a way to put the blue you mentioned in as an accent color along with the slate gray and black. Not into the red and white or flashy colors. I did not know that you could cut these with an exacto knife blade- i thought they would be too hard. I don't have a miter saw, so would have to rent one or figure something else out....
Grab a miter saw black Fri. or something. Always good to have around as long as you have a place to keep/store it.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I learned about Swisstrax from Obsessed Garage, he is my hero!! :blush:

I initially rejected the idea of this option because of how dirt ends up down in the cracks of the tile. Eventually, the way they look and the fact I could install them myself won me over. Also, the dirt factor has been a non-issue, it actually keeps the floor I walk on and work on cleaner for longer, I just vacuum them ever so often and even then, it's usually the first few rows that end up with debris.

I also considered doing different colors, but I wanted to keep it clean and simple, hence choosing the Slate Grey and Jet Black. I'm thinking you could incorporate the blue in as an extra boarder on the inside or outside of the black.

st103.jpg

stb101.jpg

stb102.jpg

When I was choosing my layout, I was told it's best to use your main color around the perimeter of your space so that you don't end up with any weird visual offsets. In my case, you can see I came in one row of grey from the entrance and one row in off the right-hand wall before starting my black boarder. (As you can see, these tiles cover up lots of peeling paint.)

IMG_0111.jpg

For cutting, you can use a variety of tools including a jigsaw, angle grinder, floor tile cutter, circular saw or miter saw. I tried using the jigsaw to trim around a conduit, but there is too much vibration to get a clean cut. This is where a VERY sharp utility knife comes in handy. In preparation for the install, I actually went and bought a miter saw for this job. Unless you spend up big, most saws won't cut a tile in one pass, meaning you need to flip the tile around to finish the cut. Even with the recommended "fine tooth blade", I was having trouble with the blade shattering a few tiles on the second pass. I ended up making the first pass with the saw and then finishing of the last inch or so with the sharp knife using firm pressure rather than a slicing motion.

IMG_2001.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG-0123.jpg

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

I initially rejected the idea of this option because of how dirt ends up down in the cracks of the tile. Eventually, the way they look and the fact I could install them myself won me over. Also, the dirt factor has been a non-issue, it actually keeps the floor I walk on and work on cleaner for longer, I just vacuum them ever so often and even then, it's usually the first few rows that end up with debris.

I also considered doing different colors, but I wanted to keep it clean and simple, hence choosing the Slate Grey and Jet Black. I'm thinking you could incorporate the blue in as an extra boarder on the inside or outside of the black.

st103.jpg

stb101.jpg

stb102.jpg

When I was choosing my layout, I was told it's best to use your main color around the perimeter of your space so that you don't end up with any weird visual offsets. In my case, you can see I came in one row of grey from the entrance and one row in off the right-hand wall before starting my black boarder. (As you can see, these tiles cover up lots of peeling paint.)

IMG_0111.jpg

For cutting, you can use a variety of tools including a jigsaw, angle grinder, floor tile cutter, circular saw or miter saw. I tried using the jigsaw to trim around a conduit, but there is too much vibration to get a clean cut. This is where a VERY sharp utility knife comes in handy. In preparation for the install, I actually went and bought a miter saw for this job. Unless you spend up big, most saws won't cut a tile in one pass, meaning you need to flip the tile around to finish the cut. Even with the recommended "fine tooth blade", I was having trouble with the blade shattering a few tiles on the second pass. I ended up making the first pass with the saw and then finishing of the last inch or so with the sharp knife using firm pressure rather than a slicing motion.

IMG_2001.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG-0123.jpg
Any chance you could fly from Australia to Wisconsin next spring and help me out? LOL....
Thanks for the visual cues on the blue.. i'm going to have to think about that. I don't have a lot of space for tools, so I will most likely find a neighbor or handyman to borrow the cutting tools I need.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

st103.jpg

stb101.jpg

stb102.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_2001.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG-0123.jpg
That looks really good! I want to do something with my garage floor, debating between epoxy and Swisstrax or Racedeck. Just wondering how the Swisstrax or Racedeck would do with rain/snow melt. Is it going to hold the water under the tiles? I don’t have a floor drain in my garage.
Sponsored