Unleash-The-Beast

Flashback to 1965
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mr. Ed
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium W. drop top
I have a leaky valve cover gasket on the driver side only. It drips down onto the exhaust and stinks sometimes, other times not.
Can I replace myself?
Should I do both sides?
I kind of hate to mess with the other side if it is OK, on the other hand it does have almost 80,000 miles on it.

• 2015 GT convertible
  • 77.000 miles
  • I don't track or autocross, but drive spiritedly a good bit
Had it checked at a mechanic, they want to replace both gaskets and the spark plugs.

• $190 gaskets
  • $425 4.3 hours labor
  • $15 each for plugs, no labor
I have not really looked to hard at the engine, I have tools and some skill and access to a lift if needed. I prefer to do it myself, but don't want to get into a two day job they can do in 4 hours. Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
It's a PITA, but easily doable. lots of bolts to get to, and wiring harnesses in the way. All you need is a 10mm and a small screwdriver for electrical connections. Make sure to put silicon in the spots where it covers transition from the head to timing cover.

You might try just tightening the bolts. I know several people have had them loose.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Bolts being loose is very common.

OP
OP
Unleash-The-Beast

Unleash-The-Beast

Flashback to 1965
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mr. Ed
Vehicle(s)
Bolts being loose is very common.
I just searched and found a couple others mentioning loose bolts. So before I go nutz ordering gaskets and all, I am going to check the bolts. Seems like the ones near the firewall are the main culprit.

GritzNGravy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
About 2 months ago, my drivers side valve cover started leaking also. Could smell oil burning on my exhaust/converter and was dripping off it. I almost ordered a gasket but checked the bolts first. The back bottom valve cover bolt wasn't even tight, it seemed like it could fall out it was so loose. All the bolts on the lower side were not tight enough to my standards. After tightening all the valve cover bolts the leak is fixed. Took like 5 mins.

Sponsored

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
They are bang on for the labour time, in regards to Mitchell Teamworks/Pro Demand.

If you are looking for a breakdown of how to do it, I'd be more than happy to send you the repair information, step by step. It doesn't seem that difficult.

OP
OP
Unleash-The-Beast

Unleash-The-Beast

Flashback to 1965
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mr. Ed
Vehicle(s)
If you are looking for a breakdown of how to do it, I'd be more than happy to send you the repair information, step by step. It doesn't seem that difficult.
ENPhoto, I found Chiltons manual online at my library, and you are right, it does not look so hard. Thanks for the offer.

AlphaCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP, 2018 Honda Accord 1.5 Sport
My passenger side was leaking about 30k miles ago. I tightened it up a bit and haven't had problems since.
Sponsored