Sponsored

Looking to track in 2023. Anything else needed?

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Just reading a couple of other threads, watched a few videos.

From what I've seen, sway bars (The Adjustable kind) would be good for something like this since I'd have the ability to dial in the front and rear at least to the current springs I have

There's also a part of me that's just thinking to buy the Dual Rate Magneride Springs from Steeda, and just sell or return the Sport Magneride Springs. My only issue of course, is I don't want to necessarily negatively affect overall daily ride quality. I'm not sure if I should just go for the sway bars, and keep the springs I currently have, or go after the other springs.
If it helps at all, I have the BMR Handling springs (250 lb front, 980 rear) and they are perfectly fine on the street. The car feels "tight" on the street but not harsh. On track, they are a great improvement over OEM but still on the soft side. I'd say these spring rates are a minimum for track use but still not ideal.
Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
If it helps at all, I have the BMR Handling springs (250 lb front, 980 rear) and they are perfectly fine on the street. The car feels "tight" on the street but not harsh. On track, they are a great improvement over OEM but still on the soft side. I'd say these spring rates are a minimum for track use but still not ideal.
If I'm not mistaken, you don't have magneride though, correct?

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I second the keep the Steeda springs in the box. The reason being, Ford, with it's massive R&D budget, developed their springs. Steeda has no where near the R&D that Ford has into those springs. Same with sway bar. I personally believe you get a far superior product from FP as opposed to a Steeda, and if you want to go crazy with track days, you will eventually jump to coilovers anyways.

But I will also second everyone else that says just get the car on the track, learn how to interact with the car, then decide what needs to change. I WISH I would have done it this way, but I just started changing stuff without any real baseline data. Hindsight is 20/20.

Anyways, good luck and welcome to an addiction! There are not too many things in this world as rewarding as beating your previous fastest time (Or crushing those German cars :wink: )

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Hey morning. I didn't read all the comments so apologies if someone already answer
Is this your first year tracking?
How many events. Have u done already?

I will tell you what I've been told when i started.
Go there 2 or 3 events and have fun.
Feel the car. Then evolve. With her.
of you put bunch of stuff you will never know what is wrong or good.
Some basic recommendations
1. Dot 4 brake fluid. Necessary.

First upgrades :
1. Better pads.
2. Bigger tires (305mm squared. ) To accommodate 305 front :
- front longer studs, open wheel nuts ,25-28mm spacer hub centric (you can find them all at OPMUSTANG.COM) and the camber plates u have.
3. Coaching. Blayze online coaching is what you want. (former racers360). 100$ investment for way faster laps vs expensive mods is unbeatable.

Next. Bmr linear springs as re superior than yours. I would suggest them.
Swaybars are important. But this is not now :)

And most important... Did i tell you "have fun!" ?
🙂

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Just reading a couple of other threads, watched a few videos.

From what I've seen, sway bars (The Adjustable kind) would be good for something like this since I'd have the ability to dial in the front and rear at least to the current springs I have

There's also a part of me that's just thinking to buy the Dual Rate Magneride Springs from Steeda, and just sell or return the Sport Magneride Springs. My only issue of course, is I don't want to necessarily negatively affect overall daily ride quality. I'm not sure if I should just go for the sway bars, and keep the springs I currently have, or go after the other springs.
You can go down the mods rabbit hole a lot there are no setups a like. But without even been to the track how you know you need them ?

As I said my first season was 100+ laps on OEM PZero tires with OEM brake pads and Motul 660 brake fluid. The OEM brake pads lasted like 88 laps before needed replacing.
And the tires even though I replaced them at the end of the season could have lasted a lot more.
Second Season I added camber plates and front swaybar and switched to 275/35/19 square on the OEM PP1 wheels and worked to improve a lot for 2 season just this season I switched to coilovers and 305/30/19 tires. This was good for 2 seconds improvement in my lap times. The previous 3 seasons I dropped 10 whole seconds because of driver mod.

Overall I agree with what Flyhalf said Brake Fluid and Brake pads are a must. Camber Plates are also needed. Wheels and Tires next and then you can look into the suspension when you are ready.

Just go out there have fun and figure out what the car need when you need it.

OP
OP
Bloodham25

Bloodham25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
R.J
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2022 PP
You can go down the mods rabbit hole a lot there are no setups a like. But without even been to the track how you know you need them ?

As I said my first season was 100+ laps on OEM PZero tires with OEM brake pads and Motul 660 brake fluid. The OEM brake pads lasted like 88 laps before needed replacing.
And the tires even though I replaced them at the end of the season could have lasted a lot more.
Second Season I added camber plates and front swaybar and switched to 275/35/19 square on the OEM PP1 wheels and worked to improve a lot for 2 season just this season I switched to coilovers and 305/30/19 tires. This was good for 2 seconds improvement in my lap times. The previous 3 seasons I dropped 10 whole seconds because of driver mod.

Overall I agree with what Flyhalf said Brake Fluid and Brake pads are a must. Camber Plates are also needed. Wheels and Tires next and then you can look into the suspension when you are ready.

Just go out there have fun and figure out what the car need when you need it.
Anyway I could get an explanation of coilovers. Would something like that work with magneride?

OP
OP
Bloodham25

Bloodham25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
R.J
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2022 PP
Hey morning. I didn't read all the comments so apologies if someone already answer
Is this your first year tracking?
How many events. Have u done already?

I will tell you what I've been told when i started.
Go there 2 or 3 events and have fun.
Feel the car. Then evolve. With her.
of you put bunch of stuff you will never know what is wrong or good.
Some basic recommendations
1. Dot 4 brake fluid. Necessary.

First upgrades :
1. Better pads.
2. Bigger tires (305mm squared. ) To accommodate 305 front :
- front longer studs, open wheel nuts ,25-28mm spacer hub centric (you can find them all at OPMUSTANG.COM) and the camber plates u have.
3. Coaching. Blayze online coaching is what you want. (former racers360). 100$ investment for way faster laps vs expensive mods is unbeatable.

Next. Bmr linear springs as re superior than yours. I would suggest them.
Swaybars are important. But this is not now :)

And most important... Did i tell you "have fun!" ?
🙂
Would 285/35r19 work on a 35 offset both front and rear? That was the plan for the time being until I go up to 305's

OP
OP
Bloodham25

Bloodham25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
R.J
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2022 PP
Would 285/35r19 work on a 35 offset both front and rear? That was the plan for the time being until I go up to 305's
Also likely that I might go with Steeda's magneride dual rate springs at this point for a little versatility. I'm up in Canada, so parts are hard to come buy other than the steeda canada headquarters an hour away lol

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Anyway I could get an explanation of coilovers. Would something like that work with magneride?
No, you would have to completely rip out your mageride shocks. It's also totally unnecessary unless you get very serious on being competetive. Your magneride dampers are awesome for dual duty car and the kit I linked in my first post would get you all you need in a balanced package that was designed to work together by Ford's performance division itself. The key benefit there is that your dampers will be tuned to work with upgraded springs and sway bars. For the price of this kit, it's a steal.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Also likely that I might go with Steeda's magneride dual rate springs at this point for a little versatility. I'm up in Canada, so parts are hard to come buy other than the steeda canada headquarters an hour away lol
oh, hello neighbor 😄 . if you don't mind me asking, what track do you want to go for your first event and which organization?

OP
OP
Bloodham25

Bloodham25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
R.J
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2022 PP
oh, hello neighbor 😄 . if you don't mind me asking, what track do you want to go for your first event and which organization?
Most likely the Toronto Motorsport speedway. Bit of a drive, but I don't think there's any others outside of the Ajax area. That's why likely this'll be a weekend hobby a few times a year 🤣

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
As @tosha said, you would swap coil overs for your current magneride. However, I would suggest when you get to the point of wanting to do mods, DSC makes a tuner for the magneride on your car, which gives you all the adjustability (and more) of a coilover. DSC's out of the box tunes are less than stellar, but there are folks on here who will help you tune it, if suspension tuning isn't your jam.

And if you want to get real crazy, DSC also has a coilover that is compatible with their DSC tuner. But both of these things should be a long ways down the road on the list of mods in my opinion. The nice thing with the DSC tuner is you can reset your ride height sensors when you eventually put on lower springs, as opposed to going to the dealer to have it done.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Yes that will work, assuming you are talking about a 19x10 wheel. It’s a very popular setup
Sponsored