Sponsored

Looking to track in 2023. Anything else needed?

Bloodham25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
R.J
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2022 PP
Hey everyone,

This year, I'm looking to track my car at least a few times as a starter with my 2022 Mustang GT PP1 W/ Magneride.

I've already gone down into the rabbit hole which is looking at all the different mods for the car, and so far I've come up with so many different options, I was wondering what would be the best required ideal setup for track days.

So far what I have, or will have is as follows:

New Wheel/Tire setup: 285/35R19 Front. 305/30/R19 Rear. W/ Camber plates
Springs: Steeda Magneride Sport Springs
Brace: Steeda G-Trac Ultralight Brace
Rear Suspension: Steeda Stop the hop kit "Ultimate" kit.

At this point, I was wondering if Sway Bars/End links would be needed since I'll be dropping the car about an inch on all corners? I'm still looking to keep that Road drivability, while just having the ability to begin tracking a few days per year.

Is anything else suspension wise required?
Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I know this isn't what you asked for but if you plan on tracking the car, do NOT get staggered wheels. You'll be stuck in understeer purgatory. Either go 285 square or 305 square.

As for suspension, camber plates should be at the top of your list. This car (especially for tracking) needs front camber more than anything. And since you are lowering the car, your front alignment will be off. A proper track alignment will do so much more for you than sway bars or anything else.

Last piece of advice: brake pads should be next on your list. After that, just focus on seat time and coaching.

EDIT: whoops, didn't see you already have camber plates. Ignore my comment then.

Last edited:

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Hey everyone,

This year, I'm looking to track my car at least a few times as a starter with my 2022 Mustang GT PP1 W/ Magneride.

I've already gone down into the rabbit hole which is looking at all the different mods for the car, and so far I've come up with so many different options, I was wondering what would be the best required ideal setup for track days.

At this point, I was wondering if Sway Bars/End links would be needed since I'll be dropping the car about an inch on all corners? I'm still looking to keep that Road drivability, while just having the ability to begin tracking a few days per year.

Steeda springs is a solid choice, but I urge you to consider magneride specific kit from Ford Performance: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9602-M

It's a very well balanced kit developed by Ford division, the best part is that it comes with a magneride tune. Nothing else at that price point comes with software changes, and your modes will finally start making sense with Track being noticeably different from Normal mode. While you have suspension taken apart, do the camber plates (you have them onte list).

As far as stop the hop kit, I feel that you could skip it for track at least for the first couple years. You won't be making any hard launches there. If you want to dial in very specific characteristics of rear suspension or just want it for street then it's different case.

Also, please listen to @ewheel regarding your brakes and tires. These are the two most significant improvements you can make, and don't waste your money on staggered setup. You will know that you made a mistake by 2nd turn when your car starts plowing towards outer wall 😄 .

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone,

I have different suggestion don't do anything to the car just get it on track the first few times if you never driven on track you will be slower than the car. In fact I drove my full first season without a single mod to the car and was the most fun season I had on track. So easy to improve with constant car and zero maintenance.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I have different suggestion don't do anything to the car just get it on track the first few times if you never driven on track you will be slower than the car. In fact I drove my full first season without a single mod to the car and was the most fun season I had on track. So easy to improve with constant car and zero maintenance.
@Bloodham25 , that's great suggestion here as well. my car went to first ever hpde event full stock. just need to change brake fluid.

your driving skills are unknown, but assuming you are just starting this in beginner group, PP1 w/Magneride is capable car as-is. you'll know what you want to change and upgrade after couple events.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bloodham25

Bloodham25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
R.J
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2022 PP
I appreciate the feedback everyone.

I already ended up purchasing a set of Magneride Sport Lowering springs from Steeda, so unless I take those back, I'm most likely sticking with them for the time being Steeda # Part 555 8242

In regards to the wheels/tires. I was actually looking at doing 285/35 squared all around. I'm just thinking of course there's a part of me who enjoys seeing the staggered setup. However I know full well of my research, that squared is a much better track setup.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

I already ended up purchasing a set of Magneride Sport Lowering springs from Steeda, so unless I take those back, I'm most likely sticking with them for the time being Steeda # Part 555 8242

In regards to the wheels/tires. I was actually looking at doing 285/35 squared all around. I'm just thinking of course there's a part of me who enjoys seeing the staggered setup. However I know full well of my research, that squared is a much better track setup.
Unless your car is a dedicated track car that you won’t be driving on the street, you can always run the staggered setup for street use and then change out to the square setup for track days. Depends how many wheels and tires you want laying around the garage 😁

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The PP1 is quite capable. If you buy springs and stop the hop and bracing kits you don't need, that's like an entire weekends worth of $$$ you could have spent getting on track and learning to drive the car.

Camber plates aren't a terrible idea. Brakes... well the stock PP1 pads are usually good enough for novices (when combined with fresh racing fluid). I might do swaybars on my personal car, but I wouldn't even spend THAT money yet if I were you.

Do the minimum to the car and put that money into more events and replacement sets of tires at first. Later on when you have more practice and can start to identify what handling behaviors the car needs fixing for yourself, then maybe buy some parts.

For example, I don't think those springs are a very good match for a track car. Not at all. Nor would I want to run 10/11" staggered wheels with those staggered tires. You'll pick this stuff up after you get out and do some events, so go get registered (and preferably with a group that puts instructors in the passenger seats of novice cars... i.e. not Track Night in America)

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just thinking of course there's a part of me who enjoys seeing the staggered setup.
You will not be able to visually tell the difference between a 285 and a 305 wide tire with the car on the ground anyway. That's less than an inch difference.

Glad you decided squared. Nothing wrong with 285 square but keep in mind, if this becomes your new hobby/passion, you'll want to upgrade to 305 eventually and you'll wish you bought 11 inch wheels the first time around. Ask me how I know 😆

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

There are better choices for springs on a handling oriented car. The 1" drop kinda screws with the geometry and steering too. I'd honestly return them or keep them in a box for a while.

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
For example, I don't think those springs are a very good match for a track car. Not at all. Nor would I want to run 10/11" staggered wheels with those staggered tires.
This^^
Glad you decided squared. Nothing wrong with 285 square but keep in mind, if this becomes your new hobby/passion, you'll want to upgrade to 305 eventually and you'll wish you bought 11 inch wheels the first time around. Ask me how I know
And this ^^

you might install the springs just because you have them already, and you'll probably spend more money to get better springs and re-do the work again.
as far as the tires, if you're anywhere serious about doing several events every year, you will end up with a dedicated track wheels set and those will be 305's 😆

look, there is nothing wrong with your list, all of it is good and most of us went through the same evolutionary upgrades route. if you take the advise provided so far, it will just help you save some money in the long run, but ultimately there is nothing wrong with having bunch of wheel sets lying around in the garage. makes life more convenient actually if you can have a dedicated rain set and a dedicated max dry grip set and then couple more wheels with drag radials.

it just gets harder every time to explain to your significant other "why do you need to blow yet another $3k on set of wheels that you just bought recently" :crazy: 😆

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Don’t do anything other than seat time, seat time and when your done with that, a little more seat time lol.

I always instructed to the people in my groups that the most important mod is in between your ears.

However your thought of camber plates are a good one.

I wouldn’t bother with any stop the hop stuff now.

OP
OP
Bloodham25

Bloodham25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
R.J
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2022 PP
This^^

And this ^^

you might install the springs just because you have them already, and you'll probably spend more money to get better springs and re-do the work again.
as far as the tires, if you're anywhere serious about doing several events every year, you will end up with a dedicated track wheels set and those will be 305's 😆

look, there is nothing wrong with your list, all of it is good and most of us went through the same evolutionary upgrades route. if you take the advise provided so far, it will just help you save some money in the long run, but ultimately there is nothing wrong with having bunch of wheel sets lying around in the garage. makes life more convenient actually if you can have a dedicated rain set and a dedicated max dry grip set and then couple more wheels with drag radials.

it just gets harder every time to explain to your significant other "why do you need to blow yet another $3k on set of wheels that you just bought recently" :crazy: 😆
Well at the moment it's the single life and just living at home with the old man (Not saying anyone here is old, just my pops! :p) and wanting to do something different and fun this year with my car.

Specracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Make sure you properly prep the car, especially upgrading and flushing the brake fluid. As you start to go quicker, pads will be next.

As mentioned, spend the most time learning how to drive. There will be 3 phases, first you learn the line, Second you will start going quicker, then 3rd you will have to relearn the line (after going quicker).

OP
OP
Bloodham25

Bloodham25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
R.J
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2022 PP
I know this isn't what you asked for but if you plan on tracking the car, do NOT get staggered wheels. You'll be stuck in understeer purgatory. Either go 285 square or 305 square.

As for suspension, camber plates should be at the top of your list. This car (especially for tracking) needs front camber more than anything. And since you are lowering the car, your front alignment will be off. A proper track alignment will do so much more for you than sway bars or anything else.

Last piece of advice: brake pads should be next on your list. After that, just focus on seat time and coaching.

EDIT: whoops, didn't see you already have camber plates. Ignore my comment then.
Just reading a couple of other threads, watched a few videos.

From what I've seen, sway bars (The Adjustable kind) would be good for something like this since I'd have the ability to dial in the front and rear at least to the current springs I have

There's also a part of me that's just thinking to buy the Dual Rate Magneride Springs from Steeda, and just sell or return the Sport Magneride Springs. My only issue of course, is I don't want to necessarily negatively affect overall daily ride quality. I'm not sure if I should just go for the sway bars, and keep the springs I currently have, or go after the other springs.
Sponsored