Sponsored

Looking to purchase GT350 - Advice Wanted

Deadly0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Hello all - I’ve wanted to get into a GT350 for some time now, and am finally close to pulling the trigger. I’ve been looking primarily at low mileage 2019 models, 2018’s as well (blue). This would be my first sports car purchase, so I am a bit nervous. Particularly, I am trying to avoid cars that have been abused. Is there any way to check that the vehicles that I am considering do not have excessive oil consumption issues, or have had the engines replaced? The general consensus seems to be that the 2019 MY has largely had all of these issues resolved, but I would still like to take any steps that I can to try and ensure that I don’t get a car with known issues. Almost all of the cars that I have come across have been at dealerships, not individual owners. Should I stay away from higher mileage variants, or am I being over cautious? Any opinions on extended warranties - are they needed, and if so, how best to obtain them?

Appreciate the advice!
Sponsored

Idrisbey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2019-GT350
I would personally stay away from vehicles that have been heavily modified. Otherwise, make sure you check the Carfax history, it will tell you if the vehicle had any warranty work done.

JC5188

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Kona Blue
Hello all - I’ve wanted to get into a GT350 for some time now, and am finally close to pulling the trigger. I’ve been looking primarily at low mileage 2019 models, 2018’s as well (blue). This would be my first sports car purchase, so I am a bit nervous. Particularly, I am trying to avoid cars that have been abused. Is there any way to check that the vehicles that I am considering do not have excessive oil consumption issues, or have had the engines replaced? The general consensus seems to be that the 2019 MY has largely had all of these issues resolved, but I would still like to take any steps that I can to try and ensure that I don’t get a car with known issues. Almost all of the cars that I have come across have been at dealerships, not individual owners. Should I stay away from higher mileage variants, or am I being over cautious? Any opinions on extended warranties - are they needed, and if so, how best to obtain them?

Appreciate the advice!
Man honestly, at this point, just find the lowest mileage car you can find in a color/options that are good for you. Buy the longest warranty appropriate for how you intend to use the car. Read all of the stickies here...and enjoy the mustang. There honestly is no formula for weeding out any potential problem cars. Hell, most of the ones that I’ve seen with issues were bought new across all model years. Now this is an opinion, and what I personally did, so take it for what it’s worth.

gmuffley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350 Wimbledon White Heritage Edition
Man honestly, at this point, just find the lowest mileage car you can find in a color/options that are good for you. Buy the longest warranty appropriate for how you intend to use the car. Read all of the stickies here...and enjoy the mustang. There honestly is no formula for weeding out any potential problem cars. Hell, most of the ones that I’ve seen with issues were bought new across all model years. Now this is an opinion, and what I personally did, so take it for what it’s worth.
My advice as well. Go for the best deal with the color you want and buy an extended warranty.

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
Easy check for oil consumption. Either get them to let you take it for a 10 - 15 minute drive or have them drive it for 10 to 15 minutes with you in the car. When starting the drive make sure the chrome tips on the exhaust are clean. When you get back after 10 to 15 minutes if there's any black soot on the chrome tips the car is burning oil.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Deadly0ne

Deadly0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Easy check for oil consumption. Either get them to let you take it for a 10 - 15 minute drive or have them drive it for 10 to 15 minutes with you in the car. When starting the drive make sure the chrome tips on the exhaust are clean. When you get back after 10 to 15 minutes if there's any black soot on the chrome tips the car is burning oil.
great idea, thank you!

OP
OP
Deadly0ne

Deadly0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Thanks for the advice. I see you're in OK - mind telling me where you bought your GT350 from?

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Ford sells them "Certified Pre-owned" with a 100K mile, 7 years from date in service warranty. Meaning a 2019 is covered until 2026. A 2019 will have the remainder of its 5year, 60,000 mile drive train warranty anyway.

No shortage of low miles cars as plenty are purchased by people wanting to get looked at by passing motorists for a few months before they sell or trade for the next new thing. I'd stay away from mods and cars with lots of mods or track time.

A tracked car will have a dozen oil changes and 6,000 miles on it if they were dealer or commercial they might be in the carfax. Car should be on original tires or similar tires and there should not be an inch of burned rubber glued to the inside of the fender wells, lol.

One local dealer to me had an 18 and 19 with less than 4K miles on the pair, both bought by geezers who went to track day and traded them in on something with a wheel chair lift. Both had certified warranties and both disappeared out of state fairly quickly.

I would not sweat the engine issues, they are rare and 99% are covered under warranty, this car will not be collectable until the mid-2060's so a new engine is not a big deal. Good hunting.

OP
OP
Deadly0ne

Deadly0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Ford sells them "Certified Pre-owned" with a 100K mile, 7 years from date in service warranty. Meaning a 2019 is covered until 2026. A 2019 will have the remainder of its 5year, 60,000 mile drive train warranty anyway.

No shortage of low miles cars as plenty are purchased by people wanting to get looked at by passing motorists for a few months before they sell or trade for the next new thing. I'd stay away from mods and cars with lots of mods or track time.

A tracked car will have a dozen oil changes and 6,000 miles on it if they were dealer or commercial they might be in the carfax. Car should be on original tires or similar tires and there should not be an inch of burned rubber glued to the inside of the fender wells, lol.

One local dealer to me had an 18 and 19 with less than 4K miles on the pair, both bought by geezers who went to track day and traded them in on something with a wheel chair lift. Both had certified warranties and both disappeared out of state fairly quickly.

I would not sweat the engine issues, they are rare and 99% are covered under warranty, this car will not be collectable until the mid-2060's so a new engine is not a big deal. Good hunting.
Aren't they only sold "Certified Pre-Owned" if being sold by a Ford Dealer and going through their certified process? The listings I have seen have not shown any to be certified pre-owned.

I'll definitely pay attention to the oil change frequency on the carfax..How often are you supposed to change the oil, track days not included?

Teej1911

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tobias
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350/'06 WRX Wagon/'09 Mini/'18 WRX
I agree with what everyone has said! I was right where you are a year ago. I had a million tabs open on my computer and I was visiting dealerships to rub elbows with them. Check out AutoTempest.com and this site in the classifieds section.

A piece of advice my best friend gave me, and I'll give it to you cuz it made my dream come true. Do NOT let the paint color or stripe combo drive your decision. If you're buying a used car, you cannot be picky. Buy the car, not the paint. I was looking for a Kona Blue or a Ruby Red. What I ended up with is a BEAUTIFUL Race Red with black roof, no stripes that I found on this forum! I am so in love with the car my wife looks at me sideways when I glance back at it after parking it. You're buying what's under the paint. You will not regret this car, no matter what color it is. Happy hunting!

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I agree with what everyone has said! I was right where you are a year ago. I had a million tabs open on my computer and I was visiting dealerships to rub elbows with them. Check out AutoTempest.com and this site in the classifieds section.

A piece of advice my best friend gave me, and I'll give it to you cuz it made my dream come true. Do NOT let the paint color or stripe combo drive your decision. If you're buying a used car, you cannot be picky. Buy the car, not the paint. I was looking for a Kona Blue or a Ruby Red. What I ended up with is a BEAUTIFUL Race Red with black roof, no stripes that I found on this forum! I am so in love with the car my wife looks at me sideways when I glance back at it after parking it. You're buying what's under the paint. You will not regret this car, no matter what color it is. Happy hunting!
I agree.....to a point. I ended up buying a color that wasn’t even on my radar. I absolutely wouldn’t have bought black. Where I live, it’s a full time job keeping it halfway clean.
So ya, I agree at this point when there are slim pickin’s, even I’d buy black.

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
Ditto on colors. I have had enough red cars and motorcycles in my day.
But I was able to score a decent deal on a Race Red example, and I'm not sad about it. 😁
Sponsored