Sponsored

Looking To Purchase A Mustang Convertible, Some Questions

MButler51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Convertible, 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 1972 Chev K10 4x4 pickup (bought new).

Paris MkVI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium convertible, 2015 Escape 2.0 Titanium
Vehicle Showcase
Think about expanding the distance you're willing to drive to check out a candidate car. Just going out to 4 hours gets you about 200 miles.
Agree completely. We drove three hours ( one way) to score our 2015. It was worth taking the day.

OP
OP
NY Yankee Pride

NY Yankee Pride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Chrokee / Honda CRV / 1996 Thunderbird
Think about expanding the distance you're willing to drive to check out a candidate car. Just going out to 4 hours gets you about 200 miles. Opens up many more possible cars. I drove 3 hours one way from Tampa to Daytona to buy the '16, with no guarantee of coming home with the car. And I left home close to 5 pm! Its nothing to do that in this part of the country even for an old guy.

@JohnDoe, black with red interior! Love it! Classy! :like:
It's expanded pretty far. I'm willing to have it shipped if I find the right car so I'm searching about a 1,000 mile radius. It does make me a little nervous purchasing sight unseen but I would likely pay for a third party inspection service.

OP
OP
NY Yankee Pride

NY Yankee Pride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found one that I love and it pretty much had everything I wanted including the color. After going around & around in my head about it for two weeks & driving my wife crazy trying to get her opinion I decided to purchase it. So I woke up this morning thinking I was going to be purchasing a convertible but it didn't work out that way. I called the salesman who I initially spoke to a week or so ago to give a deposit and he basically said it's great that I want to purchase it but he had to first let me know that the price of the car was recently raised from $25,995 to $27,838. He said that based on recent auction prices that they felt they had under priced the car. So they basically raised it by almost $2,000. I guess that's what I get for being so indecisive. I told them I wasn't interested in it for that price and they said they'd call if the price was lowered again. We didn't have any agreement so they didn't do anything wrong but it still kind of rubs me the wrong way so at this point I wouldn't purchase it from them anyway. Back to the search I guess.

Sponsored

MagicMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike Hunt
Vehicle(s)
'16 V6 MT droptop / Race Red

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
Do you like negotiating? This was just the opening step. Whatever reason they gave was BS. They are testing to see how much you want the car.

Many people hate this. My wife, however, loves the game. We would go home, discuss what happened, and if I still wanted the car we would return to the dealer about a week later and she would counter with something outrageous like $22k (or even lower if she was pissed at the sales guy). The conversation _always_ goes like this:

Sales guy: I can’t go that low.
Wifey: Go show your manager.
SG: I can’t do that, it’s too low.
Wifey: What’s he going to do, fire you? Go show your manager.

The Waiting Game - A Sales Tactic. The SG disappears for about 20 minutes hoping we will talk ourselves into desperately wanting the car. He will return with a paper filled with a bunch of figures written down/scratched out, written down/scratched out, written down/scratched out. “This is the best we can do.” Wife says, “Not good enough.” We stand up as if to leave.

The Turn-over. Since SG didn’t make the sale, the mid-level sales manager magically appears. He will profusely apologize but they can’t go any lower. It’s a wonderful car, you shouldn’t pass up this great deal, Yada yada yada. The wife will thank them for their time and we will get up to leave. You don’t want to be dealing with the mid-level manager, you want to talk to the decision-maker.

If they continue talking to us, Wife will ask to talk to the Big Guy. Now she is ready to negotiate in earnest. If she and Big Guy reach an agreeable solution, we buy the car; if not, we leave. There are other cars out there.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
No doubt, OP hope you get the one your looking for. Our ‘16 has been good to us. It came with the 20’s and I’ll be honest with in 750 miles I had to pull them off. Our roads aren’t the best. It now has the OE 18’s. Looks like a rental, but rides so much better.

The fun part is the hunt followed by the road trips!

Dawgvet06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1
I've rented two Mustang convertables (both ecoboost with the a-10) on work trips in the past two years. I was surprised at how much I liked them given that my daily driver is an 18 GT hardtop. Tons of fun (one was in LA and one in Phoenix - so the weather was perfect for them).

OP
OP
NY Yankee Pride

NY Yankee Pride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ouch! The car buying market seems so dynamic and unpredictable right now. Good luck with your search
It really is crazy. My best guess is that they figure it's prime season for convertibles and since just about all dealerships are probably struggling right now they're probably finding ways to maximize profit. So selling convertibles at a premium in the summer might be a strategy.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NY Yankee Pride

NY Yankee Pride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you like negotiating? This was just the opening step. Whatever reason they gave was BS. They are testing to see how much you want the car.
I actually do enjoy the game and I consider myself good at it although whether or not I really am is anyone's guess. But a couple of things that I should point out here. First, is that the dealership is about 900 miles away and I was looking to purchase the car & have it shipped. So there really isn't a chance of playing the usual tactics where I walk out & see what happens. Second, I tried negotiating over the phone a couple of weeks ago when they had the car priced at $26,000 and they very firmly said that was the price and it would not be reduced. I had told them that I was looking at two others that were priced lower and was going to make a decision which was partially true.

Also, they didn't know that I was going to call this morning to tell them I was going to purchase the car, and as soon I hung up with them I checked their website & the price was changed to $27,838. So they must have changed it at some point over the past two days because I've been looking at the car on their website almost daily. I don't think the price change had anything to do with me. I think it's more of a "We know what we have" scenario and they decided to try to make more money on it.

Having said all of that, I am a little bummed out because I was so excited when I woke up this morning. But I'm fine with waiting, like I said this is just an extra car for a weekend cruiser so it's nothing I need right away.

OP
OP
NY Yankee Pride

NY Yankee Pride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Must be a New York thing. My wife is from The Bronx.
It might be a New York thing because I do know a lot of people who enjoy it although it's definitely not for everyone. My wife doesn't really love the negotiating game but she does drive me crazy whenever we have to go car shopping for her. I always tell her on the way there to remember her poker face but as soon as she sits in the car she starts with "ooh this is so nice" and "I love this car & this color" and even "I can so see myself in this car, it's so cute". I feel like I can see the salesman smiling from ear to ear thinking he made a sale. I also always tell her on the way there that we won't be making the purchase that day and instead we'll tell the salesman we need to think about it for a day or two so that we don't get burned. Then once she's narrowed it down to the car she wants I go and do the negotiating without her. That makes us both happy.

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
I go and do the negotiating without her.
We both go. It’s fun to watch the sales guy get thrown off his game when he starts talking to *me* and then I just lean back in the chair and cross my arms while my wife does all the talking.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
You are not going to find bargains looking for a convertible in the early summer months. Try again in September. That $2000 bump sounds about right. I buy most of my cars "long distance" because they aren't available locally and they usually are convertibles. As you observed, that doesn't give you a lot of bargaining power.
Sponsored