Sponsored

Looking to purchase a GT350R. Looking to learn as much as possible.

OP
OP
rush0024

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R in Iconic Silver
This forum is doomed, just forum trolls asking questions about a car they will never buy.

Every question you have has been answered multiple times on this forum.
Thanks for your input. Really made my day.

I'll make sure to tag you after I buy an R.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Should I randomly all caps certain WORDS to respond so I can talk down and BE overly confident? I said initially that it seemed like this place was a great community. But now I'm not so sure.

1. Ford built 37 in 2015, 526 in 2016, 942 in 2017, and 633 in 2018. Still waiting on the 2019 and 2020 number, but they will most likely be similar. They have yet to go over a 1000 in a single year. And overall, the production numbers will be around 3000. That is not a lot. There are modern cars in that 3000 + range that have appreciated in value by a good margin. The 2005 Ford GT, and the Dodge Demon. But were special cars and were/are in demand.

You say Shelby didn't build thousands of them each year? That is incorrect. Shelby built around 7 thousand GT350's from 1965 to 1969. The only year they didn't build over 1000 in a year is 1965. People did drive them like regular cars and beat the shit out of them, and the majority of them really never thought they would be worth something one day. Seems awfully similar to the modern 350. Same thing. And people are driving and beating the shit out of them again. There won't be many all original R's left with low mileage in 20 + years.

2. I certainly do not think that way. Most modern day Shelbys are not that unique and are depreciating like every other car. You see them out quite often. No big deal. In 2007, they built over 11,000 GT500s just in that year. They are not special or rare. But the GT350, more specifically, the R, is special and rare unlike the other Shelby's and should not be grouped in with the rest.

The GT350R is not special because it says Shelby on it. That has nothing to do with it at all.

I don't understand why people are coming in here all hot and acting like I've offended them by saying that the R could become an investment down the road. If you don't agree, ok cool. But stop acting like you know the future and that I'm just wrong. You don't know. I don't know. None of us really know. I could be wrong and I could lose money no matter what if I buy an R. But I think the 350R checks all the boxes and does have a good chance to appreciate over time, given how special of a car that it is, the limited production number (under 3000) and that it could end up being the last great manual N/A Mustang ever built. The 2015's are already highly collectible. As those cars continue to grow and appreciate over time, the 2016 - 2020 R's will slowly follow behind.
The 2015 R’s would be highly collectible because they were the first S550 R and because there’s an extremely low production count of them = being “unique” and “low numbered” as I initially posted above in my other response. The 2015 R’s will have a higher evaluation than ANY of the S550 R’s for those 2 facts alone.

The 2005 Ford GT was a limited production vehicle that was also the first retro of the original “GT40” to be produced since the 60’s... everyone knew once that car was in production it was going to retain and exceed its value as far as collectibility. Same will be true for the current Ford GT. If you’re talking investment grade “Ford”, then buy a Ford GT, mothball it for 5 years and you’ll be doubling your money IF buying to have a monetary return in the future. I’ve said it in prior posts like this one - a Ford GT WILL exceed the value of any S550 Shelby. If one were to “invest” so to speak, mothball a Ford GT and easily double or close to triple your $ in a very short time period.

Again, the Ford GT is a totally separate class and that type of vehicle is a given as far as appreciation over depreciation. It’s a niche vehicle, out of reach for many and it’s also a vehicle not many people buy to “drive daily” or at all, which is why their values skyrocket so quickly. Many are just bought and mothballed.

If you’re seeking an Mustang R that will give you some type of return, get a 1993 R now and give those another 10 years, they’ve already surpassed the 6-figure mark currently. Again, because they’re limited to only 107 examples.

If your thing is to bag an S550 R and keep it for years, then look for the lowest production serial numbered R and scoop it up and park it.

The S550 R is unique, sure - but only as unique as the next one out there. As for your comment that not many will have low miles, the opposite is true...for the mere fact that some who are or have bought one think like you; if a Classic can get $185k, then so can a Modern with low miles... so more people are buying and parking rather than using them as normal mode of transportation. If the market is saturated with similar vehicles in similar condition, then values will become static and not move all that much.

Do keep in mind that the big money players who buy or bid insane values for collectible Shelby’s or (insert XYZ here) are seeking out the pedigrees, those with Pre-production numbers or extremely low build #’s, those with lowest annual production figures, those that are still in the wrappers with no mileage and in some cases still untitled.... Those type of vehicles are the big ticket vehicles in the future (*future meaning at least 20+ years from today, based on demand and what someone is willing to pay).

In one breath you’re taking about buying an R and driving the fuck out of it, in the next you’re talking about it as a future investment. Future investment is trailering it home, mothballing it and forgetting about it - otherwise you just have another R that was driven and you’ll be lucky to break even in 10-20 years.

Again, in no way mean any disrespect, just posting up honest facts with regards to perception of future values. Everyone seems to think if they buy XYZ modern car today, it’s going to jump in value like that of a Classic or a niche high end vehicle, when the opposite is true. There has to be something rather unique about it, not just that it’s a Shelby R.

Put it this way:
If you were the person who bought 1 of the 633 R’s manufactured in 2018, would # 555 be worth just as much as #1 or #10 - all things being equal as far as condition, documented history and mileage? No. The lower production numbers would always be worth more - just as the last (so in this example #633 would be as valuable as the first 1-20). The rest of the R’s in between are just that, another R built in 2018. Not saying they’re worthless or wouldn’t have a projected value, just saying you have to look at the big picture - not the fact that just because you’re going to buy an R, it’s going to be worth bucks in the future.

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
The ONLY thing that differentiates them as being “special” from another S550 is the fact that they have the Shelby name, they’re numbered and come with a Certificate of Authenticity.
you know this isn’t true, right?

I agree with most of your post, and certainly the gist of it. Don't get me wrong.

I would argue that the current 2015+ Shelby has less in common with a S550, than the original 1965 GT350 did with the regular 65 Mustang

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
.It shares a chassis and other common parts, then it starts getting very different

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
The 2015 R’s would be highly collectible because they were the first S550 R and because there’s an extremely low production count of them = being “unique” and “low numbered” as I initially posted above in my other response. The 2015 R’s will have a higher evaluation than ANY of the S550 R’s for those 2 facts alone.

The 2005 Ford GT was a limited production vehicle that was also the first retro of the original “GT40” to be produced since the 60’s... everyone knew once that car was in production it was going to retain and exceed its value as far as collectibility. Same will be true for the current Ford GT. If you’re talking investment grade “Ford”, then buy a Ford GT, mothball it for 5 years and you’ll be doubling your money IF buying to have a monetary return in the future. I’ve said it in prior posts like this one - a Ford GT WILL exceed the value of any S550 Shelby. If one were to “invest” so to speak, mothball a Ford GT and easily double or close to triple your $ in a very short time period.

Again, the Ford GT is a totally separate class and that type of vehicle is a given as far as appreciation over depreciation. It’s a niche vehicle, out of reach for many and it’s also a vehicle not many people buy to “drive daily” or at all, which is why their values skyrocket so quickly. Many are just bought and mothballed.

If you’re seeking an Mustang R that will give you some type of return, get a 1993 R now and give those another 10 years, they’ve already surpassed the 6-figure mark currently. Again, because they’re limited to only 107 examples.

If your thing is to bag an S550 R and keep it for years, then look for the lowest production serial numbered R and scoop it up and park it.

The S550 R is unique, sure - but only as unique as the next one out there. As for your comment that not many will have low miles, the opposite is true...for the mere fact that some who are or have bought one think like you; if a Classic can get $185k, then so can a Modern with low miles... so more people are buying and parking rather than using them as normal mode of transportation. If the market is saturated with similar vehicles in similar condition, then values will become static and not move all that much.

Do keep in mind that the big money players who buy or bid insane values for collectible Shelby’s or (insert XYZ here) are seeking out the pedigrees, those with Pre-production numbers or extremely low build #’s, those with lowest annual production figures, those that are still in the wrappers with no mileage and in some cases still untitled.... Those type of vehicles are the big ticket vehicles in the future (*future meaning at least 20+ years from today, based on demand and what someone is willing to pay).

In one breath you’re taking about buying an R and driving the fuck out of it, in the next you’re talking about it as a future investment. Future investment is trailering it home, mothballing it and forgetting about it - otherwise you just have another R that was driven and you’ll be lucky to break even in 10-20 years.

Again, in no way mean any disrespect, just posting up honest facts with regards to perception of future values. Everyone seems to think if they buy XYZ modern car today, it’s going to jump in value like that of a Classic or a niche high end vehicle, when the opposite is true. There has to be something rather unique about it, not just that it’s a Shelby R.

Put it this way:
If you were the person who bought 1 of the 633 R’s manufactured in 2018, would # 555 be worth just as much as #1 or #10 - all things being equal as far as condition, documented history and mileage? No. The lower production numbers would always be worth more - just as the last (so in this example #633 would be as valuable as the first 1-20). The rest of the R’s in between are just that, another R built in 2018. Not saying they’re worthless or wouldn’t have a projected value, just saying you have to look at the big picture - not the fact that just because you’re going to buy an R, it’s going to be worth bucks in the future.

With respect to purchasing an Investment grade "Ford" you make it sound so easy when it comes to purchasing a 2nd generation Ford GT and that is certainly not the case by any means.

I am sure that the OP appreciates your advice with respect to purchasing a $600K to $700K 2nd generation Ford GT as an investment automobile but you certainly failed to mention that he would have absolutely no chance of purchasing one of these vehicles brand new from Ford and if he chooses to go to the open market and purchase a used Ford GT after the mandatory 2 year ownership requirement is met by the current owner then of course his purchase price will be well beyond the MSRP pricing which has grown to well above $600K in most cases.

Not sure if you are aware but all 1300 Ford GT's for the 6 planned model years have already been allocated and any 2020 to 2022 Ford GT's that may become available for various reasons will default to a long waiting list for one of these cool cars.

It was probably a year and a half ago that the last 300 cars were allocated for the 2021 and 2022 model years with 150 cars being allocated for each of these last two years.

For those around the world that had/have one of the 1300 allocations for a 2nd generation Ford GT they have the ability to make one of these cool and rare vehicles a driver or a collector automobile but to suggest that the OP and anyone else for that matter go out and purchase a new Ford GT that is just not going to happen.

As far as the 2015 to 2020 GT350R models I suggest that when the smoke clears we will end up with ~3,500 R models built over those 6 model years and agree with you that the 37 R models from the 2015 MY will be the most collectible but also would suggest that a very early 2020 chassis numbers such as "LR001" for the Red Badge R model cars and especially chassis number "LR001" for the Blue Badge chassis plates will also do very well based on the very few 2020 HEP R models built.

Of course the two most collectible of the ~3,500 R models built over those 6 years are and will be owned by Bill Ford who presently owns a 2015 Base R model namely "F0001" and of course he will be taking delivery of the very last 2020 R model and it will be a specially built with the HEP option therefore without a doubt those 2 R models owned by Bill Ford will become the most valuable and collectible for all R's built.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Of course the two most collectible of the ~3,500 R models built over those 6 years are and will be owned by Bill Ford who presently owns a 2015 Base R model namely "F0001" and of course he will be taking delivery of the very last 2020 R model and it will be a specially built with the HEP option therefore without a doubt those 2 R models owned by Bill Ford will become the most valuable and collectible for all R's built.
which I think was CObra's point - unless there are intangibles that differentiate a particular car, the run-of-the-mill R won't fetch a premium.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Newsflash.... these cars are not investments.

Some people here will be way long gone before any of these common vehicles will be worth anything of significance. I dont care what color, badging, whatever. I suggest Its going to be a very long time before any of these cool cars are worth any kind of investor grade return. I suggest you think twice before spending any of your hard earned money for something other than your enjoyment right here, right now. (Yes, even some oddball color/stripe combo).

Sponsored

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I don't get the pile-on. As an investment relative to other (financial) investments, pretty much every car is a stupid idea. Exception is if you have millions to spend and can track down truly special stuff (McLaren F1, some Bugattis, some Ferraris and Porsches with racing provenance).

But, if you look at it relative to other cars - especially relative to other sub-$150K cars - the GT350R does hold value really well. Are people flipping them for profit? No, but if you bought one new, you probably haven't lost more than $10K of value off MSRP over the first 3-5 years of ownership. That is stellar. If you paid a big markup, then you lost it. But people who bought at MSRP or bought a lightly used R for a little below MSRP are experiencing relatively cheap fun. For the sake of comparison, a well-optioned BMW 5-series or Audi A6 cost about the same as an R in 2017. Now, those cars are selling for <$40K while the Rs are still hovering around $60K, +/-

I'd call that a win.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
You want to see a big depreciation curve, the BMW 7 series value dies a quick death.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I don't get the pile-on. As an investment relative to other (financial) investments, pretty much every car is a stupid idea. Exception is if you have millions to spend and can track down truly special stuff (McLaren F1, some Bugattis, some Ferraris and Porsches with racing provenance).

But, if you look at it relative to other cars - especially relative to other sub-$150K cars - the GT350R does hold value really well. Are people flipping them for profit? No, but if you bought one new, you probably haven't lost more than $10K of value off MSRP over the first 3-5 years of ownership. That is stellar. If you paid a big markup, then you lost it. But people who bought at MSRP or bought a lightly used R for a little below MSRP are experiencing relatively cheap fun. For the sake of comparison, a well-optioned BMW 5-series or Audi A6 cost about the same as an R in 2017. Now, those cars are selling for <$40K while the Rs are still hovering around $60K, +/-

I'd call that a win.
Your comments make complete sense to me and I look at purchasing/owning a GT350R in pretty much the same manner as yourself but obviously some others don't see it the same way as you and I.
Sponsored