Sponsored

Looking to purchase a GT350R. Looking to learn as much as possible.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
This is a weird thread. This guy wants to buy a car today for 30 years from now.

And then he asks about cruising speed RPM's?

Do you even know the difference between the R and non R?

I don't think you get to choose both. Have a collectors car sitting in your garage, and also "enjoy the fuck out of it".

Strange.
Sponsored

ssmith891

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
This is a weird thread. This guy wants to buy a car today for 30 years from now.

I don't think you get to choose both. Have a collectors car sitting in your garage, and also "enjoy the fuck out of it".

Strange.
I couldn’t agree more.

IMO, if you’re buying this car as an “investment” or “collectible”, you shouldn’t own it.

OP
OP
rush0024

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX

Strange.
https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1253432/1966-shelby-gt350-for-sale-in-bend-oregon-97702

They built a couple thousand GT350s in 1966. This was has over 100,000 miles, and is listed for 185k. You can absolutely have it both ways. You guys are the weird ones for not seeing the potential in this car and not understanding that someone can enjoy a car, take great care of it, and still have it appreciate in value.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
You can absolutely have it both ways.
Just because you can find delusional owners here and there, and a sucker who will actually pay the ask does not a guarantee make. Classic car valuations are all about finding the next greater fool. Currently ICE cars are not outlawed. Good luck with that in 20 more years. I doubt your 3rd world buyer is going to fork over that kind of money. Anyone buying a '15 R has more money than brains since '16+ cars are at a significant discount for the same damn thing. Of course they are free to spend a premium for 'bragging rights' as is their want. Somewhere between 2500-3000 R's have been produced to date out of a pool of around 20,000 GT350. And with the '19+ models there little left to differentiate an 'R' from it's lesser brother so the premium is no longer there.

I don't remember clearly what the batch of Mecum '66-68 shelbys went for at Indy - I thought it was around 80-120) but let's say 185k ask is perfectly appropriate. In 1966 dollars that's $23,000. Someone here probably knows what the MSRP was back then for that car.

Last edited:

edmd007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 20 GT500 Iconic CFTP
So I have an 18 R. I got it because I felt as though i will be one of the last great ICE and V8's ever produced and certainly one of the last manuals ever produced. The car is fun as hell. At age 43, when Im 63, maybe the car will be worth a bit and I wont loose my shirt, but there is was value in having and enjoying as well.
That being said, I was curious what a dealer would give for trade as I have a CFTP 500 on order for this year. For an 18 R, magnetic black stripes with rear seat added and 1400 miles I was offered 50k trade in.
I also had a dealer recently try to justify ADM of 30k for a CFTP 500 as "these limited cars are usually investments and people make money"....In the same email he tried to sell me a base 2017 GT350 ( he wasnt listening that I already had one) for 42k....He didn't see the irony of his message.

I say drive the car, enjoy. This one may not loose as much value or it may loose all value if ICE are outlawed. The way I see it though, in my lifetime, there will be enough Fossil Fuel and we wont run out so what the hell. Until electric is more affordable and the kinks worked out, burn the dinosaurs up.

Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I don't remember clearly what the batch of Mecum '66-68 shelbys went for at Indy - I thought it was around 80-120) but let's say 185k ask is perfectly appropriate. In 1966 dollars that's $23,000. Someone here probably knows what the MSRP was back then for that car.
To be fair the original MSRP was like 4k for the 60s 350's. So thats what, 32k today, not a bad jump even at 80-120 now let alone 180. But yes in general people don't account for inflation enough in judging value for cars. At the end of the day that's still not a very efficient use of investment money. Is buying a gt350 a wiser financial decision than an ~80k Mercedes that will lose ALL its value in 5 years? Sure but I would never look at anything outside a rare supercar as some kind of flip scheme. But unless OP plans on keeping a new GT350 for 60 years in near mint condition, driven or not, I don't think comparing to the originals is a very realistic example.

Also as I said earlier, because of all the electronics modern cars will be much, much harder to keep original and in working order still in *2080* than any classic muscle car. That is a long, long time from now.

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1253432/1966-shelby-gt350-for-sale-in-bend-oregon-97702

They built a couple thousand GT350s in 1966. This was has over 100,000 miles, and is listed for 185k. You can absolutely have it both ways. You guys are the weird ones for not seeing the potential in this car and not understanding that someone can enjoy a car, take great care of it, and still have it appreciate in value.
Because something called "Bend Park and Sell" is asking 185k for a 100k mile car that doesn't mean that's what it's worth, and certainly not all 60s 350s are worth, c'mon now. Only dealers get that kind of overpay, if it sells at all, because out of state or international suckers who don't know anything about cars buy from Bend Park and Sell because it's hassle free and seems more trustworthy. So you're not getting that 185k even if there is an idiot out there willing to pay it. This more than anything shows your naivete about the subject.

Like I've said, I'm on your side these are special cars, they will be regarded as one of the last great NA gasoline powered american cars. But there are 10000 reasons it may never be worth anything close to 185k, or even 100k. And if there is one worth 185k someday, it won't be yours, guaranteed. Just don't bet on it, is all I'm saying. Take comfort knowing you're buying a car you won't lose much money on, or maybe even break even or make back the running costs on someday. Anything beyond that is a complete crapshoot if you plan on driving it anywhere other than straight to a storage facility.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Thought we've been through this already. It was determined that @Tomster has the second to last base produced. Here's a link. Post 79.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt350r-valuations-declining.114627/page-6
My sincere apologies as I had forgotten his Mustang6G profile name but speak with the Phil on a regular basis therefore we are talking about the same person and same car.:facepalm:

BTW, he has no intention of selling his Shadow Black stripe delete 2018 Base R and it should be noted that his car collection consists only of Black cars which is pretty cool.

Again my apologies for not putting 2 and 2 together!:blush:

Sponsored

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
I would wager that for every “look how much a 1965 xxx is now!” There is an equal losing “future classic xxxx” where the owner bought, drove it .75 miles, and pickled it, only find out it ain’t worth shit today.

But let’s all meet here 50 years from now and see how this play out.

500 quatloos on the newcomer!

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
This forum is doomed, just forum trolls asking questions about a car they will never buy.

Every question you have has been answered multiple times on this forum.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

(*no offense to any S550 Shelby Owner as to what you’re about to read below...)

Dude, you’re comparing apples to oranges, period. A “modern day” Shelby GT350 or GT350R isn’t and will not command “Classic Shelby” money in your lifetime.

Do you know why?

1) Because Ford built too damn many of them and they’re cookie cut like any other S550 coming off the line. The ONLY thing that differentiates them as being “special” from another S550 is the fact that they have the Shelby name, they’re numbered and come with a Certificate of Authenticity.

2) Everyone and their grandmother sees “Shelby” on a Mustang and now thinks they have a $185k vehicle sitting in their garage (like you).

It doesn’t work that way.

Unless you have one of the very unique S550 GT350R’s that were either PP numbered, is one of the lowest consumer numbered R’s OR it has a very unique “as built” option package - it’s going to be worth as much as the next guy who bought the same model as you.

The only reasons the Classic Shelby’s are worth big money is people didn’t think of them as being collectible or valuable back then AND Ford/Shelby did not produce thousands of them each year. People drove them as regular cars and beat the piss out of them, along with wrecking quite a few. With THAT said, there’s not many left in the world today - and those that are left are kept in very close circles. Those you see coming up for sale have been in most instances owned for decades. The Classic Car community trades/buys/sells in a very closed circle. When such a vehicle does come up into the public, OF COURSE it’s going to get bidders bidding on emotions and those who have been waiting for THAT specific car to come up for sale. Many people follow those Classic Shelby’s and they’re in many well known Registries... there’s NOT thousands of them,

Modern Day Ford has been producing the modern day “Shelby” since 2005... everyone who bought a Shelby from 2005 to current day has the same mindset AS YOU - “it’s gonna be worth THOUSANDS, because it has the word Shelby on it”.

Ask the 2000 Cobra R Owners how well their “investment” went... many paid in excess of $75k-$150k just to be that guy who can claim to own one. Many of those owners are lucky to get any return on their so called investment today, now 20 years later. I’ve seen 00R’s for as low as $45k over the last 10 years... so if you can do better as you think, more power to you.

Again, it’s not a bash, it’s not meant to offend - it’s the facts. Ford has diluted the Shelby name and has produced too many for the modern version to be worth 6 or 7 figures. As stated above and some of the real knowledgeable GT350 owners here will agree - comparing a modern S550 Shelby (GT350, GT350R or GT500) to a Classic as far as end value goes - is not and never will be an equal comparison. Unless you have an S550 GT350R with a very low build, is totally unique from all others, or was previously owned by some A-list Celeb, it’s not a future $185k R.

OP
OP
rush0024

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX
(*no offense to any S550 Shelby Owner as to what you’re about to read below...)

Dude, you’re comparing apples to oranges, period. A “modern day” Shelby GT350 or GT350R isn’t and will not command “Classic Shelby” money in your lifetime.

Do you know why?

1) Because Ford built too damn many of them and they’re cookie cut like any other S550 coming off the line. The ONLY thing that differentiates them as being “special” from another S550 is the fact that they have the Shelby name, they’re numbered and come with a Certificate of Authenticity.

2) Everyone and their grandmother sees “Shelby” on a Mustang and now thinks they have a $185k vehicle sitting in their garage (like you).

It doesn’t work that way.

Unless you have one of the very unique S550 GT350R’s that were either PP numbered, is one of the lowest consumer numbered R’s OR it has a very unique “as built” option package - it’s going to be worth as much as the next guy who bought the same model as you.

The only reasons the Classic Shelby’s are worth big money is people didn’t think of them as being collectible or valuable back then AND Ford/Shelby did not produce thousands of them each year. People drove them as regular cars and beat the piss out of them, along with wrecking quite a few. With THAT said, there’s not many left in the world today - and those that are left are kept in very close circles. Those you see coming up for sale have been in most instances owned for decades. The Classic Car community trades/buys/sells in a very closed circle. When such a vehicle does come up into the public, OF COURSE it’s going to get bidders bidding on emotions and those who have been waiting for THAT specific car to come up for sale. Many people follow those Classic Shelby’s and they’re in many well known Registries... there’s NOT thousands of them,

Modern Day Ford has been producing the modern day “Shelby” since 2005... everyone who bought a Shelby from 2005 to current day has the same mindset AS YOU - “it’s gonna be worth THOUSANDS, because it has the word Shelby on it”.

Ask the 2000 Cobra R Owners how well their “investment” went... many paid in excess of $75k-$150k just to be that guy who can claim to own one. Many of those owners are lucky to get any return on their so called investment today, now 20 years later. I’ve seen 00R’s for as low as $45k over the last 10 years... so if you can do better as you think, more power to you.

Again, it’s not a bash, it’s not meant to offend - it’s the facts. Ford has diluted the Shelby name and has produced too many for the modern version to be worth 6 or 7 figures. As stated above and some of the real knowledgeable GT350 owners here will agree - comparing a modern S550 Shelby (GT350, GT350R or GT500) to a Classic as far as end value goes - is not and never will be an equal comparison. Unless you have an S550 GT350R with a very low build, is totally unique from all others, or was previously owned by some A-list Celeb, it’s not a future $185k R.

Should I randomly all caps certain WORDS to respond so I can talk down and BE overly confident? I said initially that it seemed like this place was a great community. But now I'm not so sure.

1. Ford built 37 in 2015, 526 in 2016, 942 in 2017, and 633 in 2018. Still waiting on the 2019 and 2020 number, but they will most likely be similar. They have yet to go over a 1000 in a single year. And overall, the production numbers will be around 3000. That is not a lot. There are modern cars in that 3000 + range that have appreciated in value by a good margin. The 2005 Ford GT, and the Dodge Demon. But were special cars and were/are in demand.

You say Shelby didn't build thousands of them each year? That is incorrect. Shelby built around 7 thousand GT350's from 1965 to 1969. The only year they didn't build over 1000 in a year is 1965. People did drive them like regular cars and beat the shit out of them, and the majority of them really never thought they would be worth something one day. Seems awfully similar to the modern 350. Same thing. And people are driving and beating the shit out of them again. There won't be many all original R's left with low mileage in 20 + years.

2. I certainly do not think that way. Most modern day Shelbys are not that unique and are depreciating like every other car. You see them out quite often. No big deal. In 2007, they built over 11,000 GT500s just in that year. They are not special or rare. But the GT350, more specifically, the R, is special and rare unlike the other Shelby's and should not be grouped in with the rest.

The GT350R is not special because it says Shelby on it. That has nothing to do with it at all.

I don't understand why people are coming in here all hot and acting like I've offended them by saying that the R could become an investment down the road. If you don't agree, ok cool. But stop acting like you know the future and that I'm just wrong. You don't know. I don't know. None of us really know. I could be wrong and I could lose money no matter what if I buy an R. But I think the 350R checks all the boxes and does have a good chance to appreciate over time, given how special of a car that it is, the limited production number (under 3000) and that it could end up being the last great manual N/A Mustang ever built. The 2015's are already highly collectible. As those cars continue to grow and appreciate over time, the 2016 - 2020 R's will slowly follow behind.
Sponsored

Last edited: