Sponsored

Looking to purchase a GT350R. Looking to learn as much as possible.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Either way, it’s rare and you can’t get them, and not many were bought with the seats.
Says who? You can get a rear seat package now if you like... it’s an add-On and it does nothing for the value of the car. If anything it actually creates more work for someone who wants to track the car.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
In 20 years everything will be electric or hydrogen and fossil fuel cars will be outlawed or gas will be $35 / gallon. . . . you will have to pay to get rid of your R.
BUY ONE NOW AND DRIVE THE CRAP OUT OF IT . . . . ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Saw this one on Facebook. Has the rare rear seats. 800 miles on it. I mean Id imagine this one might be worth some money someday with the rear seat option.
06285F0F-38D9-490E-B815-6F98C558A006.png
D1D755E5-B80B-45CD-A721-D92CBEA751F1.jpeg
Based on my understanding this 2016 Oxford White R model is the only R model to exist that came with factory installed rear seats and would really like to see the Window Sticker for the 2016 Shadow Black R that supposed has "rare factory installed rear seats".

:inspect:
CBB2.JPG
DSCF1790.JPG
DSCF1796.JPG
DSCF1797.JPG
DSCF1798.JPG

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Based on my understanding this 2016 Oxford White R model is the only R model to exist that came with factory installed rear seats and would really like to see the Window Sticker for the 2016 Shadow Black R that supposed has "rare factory installed rear seats".

:inspect:
CBB2.JPG
DSCF1790.JPG
DSCF1796.JPG
DSCF1797.JPG
DSCF1798.JPG
I know where that’s at...:rockon::rockon::rockon:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I know where that’s at...:rockon::rockon::rockon:
Too funny and know you have also seen this car as well!!:wink:

A short while after this car arrived at the dealership I was offered this car but decided to pass for a couple of reasons one of which was the purchase price.

I remember sitting down with the owner just after this car arrived after which time he showed me the paperwork that Dearborn had sent him in order to sign off on this car.

After taking a close look at the paperwork we both had a great laugh as the paperwork was made out to Jay Leno and not the correct owner in question.

Obviously it got all corrected but this initial paperwork certainly has now provided some interesting provenance for this 1 of 1 car based on an assumption that Mr. Leno was going to purchase this car but that never took place.

:sunglasses:

Sponsored

Keyser_Soze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350 in VB, '13 F150
Hello all. New to the forum and this is my first post. I'm looking to buy a GT350R at some point soon, but I have a lot of questions and concerns before I actually pull the trigger.

I'll say right off the bat that I'm viewing the R as an long term investment and that is part of the reason why I've chosen this car. I believe the R's have a good chance to be a collector car in 20+ years. This doesn't necessary mean I will for sure sell in 20 years if it does. I could decide to keep it forever. But it would be nice to have that option. What are the other reasons? Well, obviously the car is special. I was hooked the moment I laid eyes on one in person. I've always been a naturally aspirated engine kind of guy, as well as a manual gearbox guy. I also love track focused cars. I do plan on tracking it at some point, but it will not be often.

Engine: Let's get this one out of the as it is the biggest concern for me. I've done a lot of research and know about the engine failures. At first I wasn't that concerned, a small percentage of ALL performance cars are going to fail, but it seems that this particular car has a lot more blown engines cases then most. It seems it's a combination of the unique high revving engine that requires an high level of care and knowledge to operate, as well as some bad parts such as the valves. This has been the best source of information (numbers wise) for engine failures https://overrunautomotive.com/articles/gt350-engine-failure-by-the-numbers/#comment-15. But it was published in October 2019, and there wasn't much information out at the time for the 2019 and 2020 models.

My question is, how are the Gen2 engines in the 2019 and 2020 holding up in comparison to the 2016-2018 models? Should I be focusing only on the 2019 or 2020 cars?

As I said earlier, I do plan on this being an investment long term, and I do not plan on putting a ton of miles of the car. Drive once or twice a week on a nice day. Take to car shows. No long distance trips. Track on occasion. If the engine blows, I do worry about it effecting the value of the car long term as it won't be numbers matching.

I'm aware of the oil consumption, and I would definitely check that shit every time I drive it. I'm also aware of the of letting the car warm up (190 degrees) before opening it up.

Idling: I've read a few places that letting the car idling to warm up is not great, and it's best to drive the car a low rpms to warm up. Is this true? I've heard some engines have actually failed during idle.

Cruising speeds: Let's say I did take it on the highway for a longer trip, what would you guys recommend for gear and rpm cruising speeds?

Other tips: Any other tips I should know about what to do or not to do when driving the GT350R, whether it be a cruise or high RPM's?

Warranty: I already plan on purchasing a extended warranty for the car. How long does an extended usually last for and how much are they? Is there ever a point when Ford would no longer allow a warranty to be extended on the car?

Oil change and equipment: I live in a small town in Kentucky. There is one Ford dealer in town, but I would be very worried about taking my car there for routine maintenance. I've never really done oil changes at home before. Guess I could start, but I would need to get the jacks and all the equipment to do that. Any recommendations? My garage is not very tall, so getting a full lift is not an option. Also, could Ford try to deny coverage for a blown engine if I do my own oil changes? Is the Motorcraft 5W-50 the best oil to use for road use? Will using a different oil void the factory warranty?

Driveway: So I know the regular GT350s are prone to scrape. I'm sure the R is even worse. My driveway doesn't have a curb, but the entrance does sit at the top of a small hill, so there is an immediate decline from the street. I'll post a pic tonight. Outside of repaving to level it out some, was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on this one outside of using an angle to turn in?

Rocks: Is it better to use splash guards or to just go with PPF to protect the side of the car from rocks? Or should I not worry to much about it?

This really seems like a great community. Thanks in advance for your help. I really want to be as knowledgeable as possible before buying an R. If I missed anything that an a R owner should know, please let me know.
You seem REALLY apprehensive about this purchase. Research is good, but I think you're worrying way more than necessary. Could just be what I'm reading into your words.

I'll mostly ignore your idea of this being a long term investment. The only version of this car that could even remotely be that is a 2020 HEP R car (due to COVID production limitation), or maybe a 2015 R for the VIN number fetishists, and even then... meh. I'd recommend to look at this as a depreciating asset just like any other car, and it will free a lot of the worry.

Engine failure issues are the dead horse of the forum, there's tons of info out there that it appears you've already read. Lower incidence in 19-20 cars, but less miles on those cars, so I'd argue a conclusion can't be drawn. Your engine has enough oil to just check every 500-1000 miles a few times until you get an idea of the consumption. The good news is the 5w-50 oil comes in a 12-quart pack, so you get two extras :). My 19 hasn't consumed noticeable oil in its first 1400 miles. Ford won't deny your warranty claim for changing your own oil... keep your receipts and a mileage log if you're that concerned.

Low RPM's until operating temperature is suggested with most cars. It warms up fast. Don't red-line it in the first 1k miles and/or until the oil gauge in the center reads at operating temperature, and you'll be as conservative as necessary. The car gets garbage mileage, so no concerns cruising around over 2k RPM's, and IMO it doesn't really lug above 2k. Driveway you're sort of screwed, doubly so w/ the R - I built a custom ramp for my driveway and tried everything possible to be able to reverse into my garage, just couldn't. Your best shot is to take it head on, diagonally, with some speed. I had a learning curve for sure. You're going to scrape the splitter. My normal splitter scrapes at shopping center entrances on occasion.

For rocks, the ZL1 Addon mudflaps or whatever on the front do a world of benefit, but I also PPF'ed several sections of the car for peace of mind. I installed without even removing wheels. I live in an area with frequent construction where it's assumed everyone drives an F-150. Watch Auto Fanatic's video series on his red GT350 - he's got a lot of great tips.

Finally, put the oil separator in, at least for the passenger side, pronto. Driver side is optional, but when spending 60-80k, what's another $150.

OP
OP
rush0024

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX
I'll mostly ignore your idea of this being a long term investment. The only version of this car that could even remotely be that is a 2020 HEP R car (due to COVID production limitation), or maybe a 2015 R for the VIN number fetishists, and even then... meh. I'd recommend to look at this as a depreciating asset just like any other car, and it will free a lot of the worry.
The 2015's are already collectible. One went for 160k, 148k, and 500k, although that one was for charity. They have already doubled in value in 5 years. The 350R checks all the boxes for being collectable one day. That doesn't mean it will, but it has a chance. At the very least, one with low miles should hold it's value pretty well over the years. And if this turns out to be the last manual N/A V8 Mustang, then you go ahead and book it being highly collectible.

Anyways, thanks for the response and information. I guess you could say I'm apprehensive, but I'm just trying to be smart and to make sure this is the right car for me.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The 2015's are already collectible. One went for 160k, 148k,
citation? There had to be something really odd for those cars to fetch such prices. Your run-of-the-mill factory purchase of a 2020MY would have no such redeeming value.
Go find a carmax with a GT350 on their lot and you can test drive it to see if the experience works for you.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
As others have mentioned unless you are getting a very low VIN one or one with some history attached to it that makes it worth more, Ford simply made too many for it to be considered an investment right now. Future? Sure, it's possible. But just depends how many miles and how you maintain the car and if you are willing to see what the next 20-30 years holds. With the way Green laws are progressing we could see these types of cars banned form the streets. Nobody knows.

I do think these cars will depreciate less than some other sports cars, and if you buy a gently used one you already are ahead of the game as the first owner usually takes the biggest depreciation hit. I found my 18 GT350 (non-R) with 1400 miles on it in mint condition for about $13K under MSRP.

If you plan on keeping the car a very long time, I would get an extended Ford warranty for the powertain. Get the longest warranty they allow for the lowest number of miles since you likely won't be putting many miles on the car. Don't mod the powertrain so if you do have an issue you are more likely to have Ford cover a replacement.

If your goal is to keep the car as clean as possible for potential resale absolutely do full paint correction, PPF, and a nanocoating. The Cup2's pick up lots of crap due to how sticky they are, so for non-track use you probably want something like a PS4S which still offers great handling but with less potential for rocks and debrie and will do better in the rain/etc (although it sounds like you would only drive yours on optimal driving condition days).

If you have not driven one of these yet I would try to do that first. Make sure it's the car for you. There are other cars out there for investment purposes that might be better options.

OP
OP
rush0024

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
citation? There had to be something really odd for those cars to fetch such prices. Your run-of-the-mill factory purchase of a 2020MY would have no such redeeming value.
Go find a carmax with a GT350 on their lot and you can test drive it to see if the experience works for you.
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/2015-FORD-SHELBY-GT350R-237326 -- Barrettt Jackson

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0520-414703/2015-ford-shelby-gt350r/ -- This one was at Indy this month.(You may have to get an account to view)

I understand that the 2017 to 2020 are not collectible currently. But I expect that to change over time.

Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Right, but for every GT350/R that sold for more money on auction there are 10 that have sold for far less than what the original owner paid. Meaning for the vast majority selling a used R it will depreciate and they will take a loss. Especially those that paid ADM to get the car.

OP
OP
rush0024

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right, but for every GT350/R that sold for more money on auction there are 10 that have sold for far less than what the original owner paid. Meaning for the vast majority selling a used R it will depreciate and they will take a loss. Especially those that paid ADM to get the car.
I understand that. A standard R from 2016 to 2020 are depreciating. Only the 2015's are collectible right now. However, this car checks all the boxes to be collectible in the future and I believe the R's will start appreciating over time. There will be around 3 thousand total made. That number is OK. Look at the 2005 Ford GT. They made 4000. Low numbers. Special car. In demand after production. Look at the Demon. 3300 made. Special car. In demand. They are already appreciating and it's only been out of production for 2 years.

They only made around 50 yellow 350Rs from 2016 to 2018.

Yellows with no stripe? How about 1 in 2018, 2 in 2017, and 4 in 2016. Imagine having one of these 25 years from now in mint condition. It will be collectible.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Yellows with no stripe? How about 1 in 2018, 2 in 2017, and 4 in 2016. Imagine having one of these 25 years from now in mint condition. It will be collectible.
yeah but who in their right mind buys a yellow Mustang? :)
You could be right, that in constant 2020 dollars your 'R' will depreciate less than it's peers by the time 2040 rolls around. But the likelihood of the car being burned down with your house is a whole lot more likely. Buy the car because you want it. But the likelihood of it being an "investment" that pays off is probably around 0.00000000000000000000000001%.

Not to mention what's the integrity of the 'R' wheels going to be in 20 years?
Buy a $35k GT and $30k worth of gold delivery bars. I suspect you'll make out a hell of a lot better in 20 years than with an 'R' purchase. If you have 70k to piss away, buy something like a Porsche. When in 2040 the Civic can out-handle and out-perform the GT350R, do you think it will have any attraction at all except as a museum centerpiece for the children of the day to marvel at the 'crap' they used to produce in by-gone decades?

OP
OP
rush0024

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yeah but who in their right mind buys a yellow Mustang? :)
You could be right, that in 2020 constant dollars your 'R' will depreciate less than it's peers by the time 2040 rolls around. But the likelihood of the car being burned down with your house is a whole lot more likely. Buy the car because you want it. But the likelihood of it being an "investment" that pays off is probably around 0.00000000000000000000000001%.
Oh I'm not buying a yellow one lol.

But there are other colors that are actually nice that are still low in total numbers.

The GT350 is a special car. The R is even more special. I don't even own one or driven one yet and I can see that. And in 30 years, it's going to be a classic. Mark my words.