Sponsored

Looking to get myself back into a mustang. Have a big question about the ecoboosts

darthlung37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang V6
So I had a v6 2015 and it was great but was bone stock and sorta bugged me being featureless, anyway some odd years and a civic hatchback sport touring later and im ready to get back into a mustang. I really want a Ecoboost premium, im just concerned about the engine being tuned as a pre owned car. Is there a way to tell if it had been previously tuned or can any dealer be able to tell that or does it have to be ford?
Sponsored

Orange devil

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro,toyoda
You may be able to get a new Ecoboost for less money than a used one because used car prices are high. No worry about mods on a new Ecoboost.
Check out the new stealth edition coming out .it's a combination of the black accent package and some performances pack parts.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
A key “tell” to a tuned EB is the air box. A tuned car will have a CAI instead of the stock box. Also a Ford dealer can check to see how many times the ECU has been flashed. This is also a tell for a tuned car.

Now sure what year you are looking at but there were a number of early Ecobooms. It would be wise to make sure you have a numbers matching car (unless you don’t care about an engine replacement).

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I have one and love it.
More people that are selling a "tuned" car, think it is a selling point, and if you ask will boast about it.
If not, Stopping by the ford dealer near you with car while on test drive and have them"look" at it. You might have to pay a small fee, but worth it. If you are worried someone tuned it, beat it, then off loading it.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Buy CPO...

BabyPanza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cheryl
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi SQ5
Have you driven an EB? The piped in fake engine noise is horrific! I’ve been told you can defeat it with Forscan, but not sure if that’s true or not, and given all the ADM now, you could probably order a well equipped GT for near same money. MY22 order banks are supposed to open tomorrow.

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
Yes- you may want to check out the cost of a base GT....well depends on how you use the car and what your budget is like,,,,while I prefer a V8, nothing wrong with the Ecoboost- its a good little motor and have enough power to still be fun

You might be surprised to find out insurance not that much more on a GT and MPG not that much worst though -

The big thing is you would be able to get all the features with an EcoBoost vs just a base GT (or you could go back and do a 15/16 GT- yes older body style but I find both old and new very attractive - I would probably look at older low mile GTs as well (if you can find one reasonable price- which is possible but takes time)

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
A key “tell” to a tuned EB is the air box. A tuned car will have a CAI instead of the stock box...
Usually, but not always. The stock EB airbox has been shown to actually be quite effective and flow more than enough air than needed for even aggressive tunes, which renders a CAI to be an extraneous extra on an EB. I have the conservative Ford Performance tune with the stock airbox. There's a lot of CAI installs just for looks.

Another sure clue to a possible tune would be an aftermarket intercooler. The stock intercooler sucks and one of the first mods anyone interested in a tune will have to do is to upgrade the intercooler to handle the tune without heatsoak issues.

OP
OP

darthlung37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang V6
Yes- you may want to check out the cost of a base GT....well depends on how you use the car and what your budget is like,,,,while I prefer a V8, nothing wrong with the Ecoboost- its a good little motor and have enough power to still be fun

You might be surprised to find out insurance not that much more on a GT and MPG not that much worst though -

The big thing is you would be able to get all the features with an EcoBoost vs just a base GT (or you could go back and do a 15/16 GT- yes older body style but I find both old and new very attractive - I would probably look at older low mile GTs as well (if you can find one reasonable price- which is possible but takes time)
While I would love a GT I want a premium mostly for the my color and i definitely couldn’t afford a premium gt, I also hear the ten speed is a superior transmission to the old auto

Sponsored
OP
OP

darthlung37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang V6
Usually, but not always. The stock EB airbox has been shown to actually be quite effective and flow more than enough air than needed for even aggressive tunes, which renders a CAI to be an extraneous extra on an EB. I have the conservative Ford Performance tune with the stock airbox. There's a lot of CAI installs just for looks.

Another sure clue to a possible tune would be an aftermarket intercooler. The stock intercooler sucks and one of the first mods anyone interested in a tune will have to do is to upgrade the intercooler to handle the tune without heatsoak issues.
Interesting I wouldn’t have thought of that, good to know thank you! I would like a cpo as someone else noted but those aren’t the easiest to come by right now where I live cars are selling like hotcakes

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Interesting I wouldn’t have thought of that, good to know thank you! I would like a cpo as someone else noted but those aren’t the easiest to come by right now where I live cars are selling like hotcakes
There is absolutely nothing wrong with an EB, especially a Premium model. I had one and still love it. So does the person who bought it. Buy the one you love and don’t look back. And don’t listen to the GT or nothing folks.

OP
OP

darthlung37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang V6
There is absolutely nothing wrong with an EB, especially a Premium model. I had one and still love it. So does the person who bought it. Buy the one you love and don’t look back. And don’t listen to the GT or nothing folks.
Thanks lol like I said I’d love a GT but there are multiple factors that make the Ecoboost more appealing, and I have driven one before and love it, I was quite pleased with the power, and would probably get the Ford racing tune from a dealer since that one doesn’t void warranty. I also really want a premium coming from a fully loaded car already I’m not trying to downgrade my amenities, what is the views on the shaker system?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
There is quite a few CPO Mustang Ecoboost on Fords website. I see you live in Cali and there is over 100 CPO Mustangs within 500 miles on their site.

CPO Mustang

However, look at the prices. You might as well buy new if you can wait as there is very little inventory of new Mustangs.

OP
OP

darthlung37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang V6
There is quite a few CPO Mustang Ecoboost on Fords website. I see you live in Cali and there is over 100 CPO Mustangs within 500 miles on their site.

CPO Mustang

However, look at the prices. You might as well buy new if you can wait as there is very little inventory of new Mustangs.
I’ll definitely look some more there but when I looked the other night there was only a few, I don’t wanna drive 500 miles for one, my radius is max like 75
Sponsored